• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith Shot the Ball 26 Times

MoBetta

This is a big part of what drives me crazy. Just look at a comparison of Joe/Josh in the month of March.Joe - 12 games. 23.4 ppg, 4 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.2 steals, .2 blocks on 2.9 turnovers. 48.6% shootingJosh - 16 games. 23.6 ppg, 10.6 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.4 blocks on 1.9 turnovers. 44.9% shootingJosh beats Joe in every category except shooting percentage (by 3.7 percent) FYI at 26 shots a game, 3.7 percent is less than 1 made shot a game. But all we've heard the last 2 weeks is M'f'in Joe Johnson is our superstar. Josh hasn't missed a game all year, is playing mvp level basketball this month (just look at the stats). Turnovers down, rebounds up, steals up, scoring up, free throw shooting percentage up....but he can't win. In my opinion all due to a ridiculous off season training program that brought him in in phenomenal shape. I might leave town too.Take a real good look at those numbers guys while you crawl out from inside Joe's jock. Your power forward is beating your 5 time all star Shooting Guard in assists and steals while pulling down 10.6 rebounds a game.....that alone should make you scratch your head. Without Josh Smith this year, we don't make the playoffs.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

This is a big part of what drives me crazy.

What drives me crazy is that y'all can't appreciate them both and have to put down one to prop up the other. It's a damn shame too because they're a pretty spectacular duo when they're both on their games at the same time.
  • Like 2

I love how you guys, Bob, and Nique are constantly reminding the rest of us of every negative thing Josh does. Dude finishes with a great stat line yet we focus on the negative.

That's what happen when you are one of the leaders and the team loses. And yes he finishes with a lot of good stat lines, but he also makes many dumb plays in close games. Edited by AJtheGreat

Josh shot over 50% for the game. that's not efficient?His free throws were bad but that would have only added a few more points.

FG% is not an efficiency stat. It's actually a volume state. 30 points on 26 shot attempts is not efficient. 30 points on let's say 20 shot attempts and 10 free throw attempts is an efficient night.

Josh shot over 50% for the game. that's not efficient?His free throws were bad but that would have only added a few more points.

No it is not very efficient. FG% is misleading in this case because he shot a lot. An efficient game would be 10-19 and 8-9 Free throws, which was Druants statline for a 31 point game. You dont have to shoot 50% to be efficient, look at this Kevin Love statline, 10-21 FG% 47 10-10 free throws 32 points. These are efficient games by player that Josh has the talent to play like, but no, he drift to the corner and shoots jumpers.But as I said in my original post, nobody played particularly well last night and our closer, Joe, played particularly badly.

• Premium Member

Some of us are trying to add a little balance to the conversation. Josh gets more grief than all other Hawks players combined!

• Like 2

All I can say is the Lakers sat their center for taking a 3 last night. Joe had a horrible game. Josh had an decent game. Our team works better if somebody is taking 30 shots. It just works. Josh seems to be the guy who can do this and handle the pressure. Let him do it. I would just prefer those all happen with in 15 feet of the rim.

No it is not very efficient. FG% is misleading in this case because he shot a lot. An efficient game would be 10-19 and 8-9 Free throws, which was Druants statline for a 31 point game. You dont have to shoot 50% to be efficient, look at this Kevin Love statline, 10-21 FG% 47 10-10 free throws 32 points. These are efficient games by player that Josh has the talent to play like, but no, he drift to the corner and shoots jumpers.But as I said in my original post, nobody played particularly well last night and our closer, Joe, played particularly badly.

Uh Oh ur making sense. U know ur not supposed to do that when talking about Josh.

Some of us are trying to add a little balance to the conversation. Josh gets more grief than all other Hawks players combined!

Now he does but it use to be Marvin everyone was posting about. The good post, looking for Marvin to breakout, the bad expecting him to be a bust.I guess everyone got bored posting about Marvin over the years so now its Smooves turn

FG% is not an efficiency stat. It's actually a volume state. 30 points on 26 shot attempts is not efficient. 30 points on let's say 20 shot attempts and 10 free throw attempts is an efficient night.

See u and 01d0rd3r actually know BBALL. Thanks

Miami is tops in the league at 48% shooting for a team. Anything slightly below that or above is efficient in my book. Anything over 50% shooting is good.The op troll only talks about one particular subject time and time again, that has to be worse than "personal attacks".

Miami is tops in the league at 48% shooting for a team. Anything slightly below that or above is efficient in my book. Anything over 50% shooting is good.The op troll only talks about one particular subject time and time again, that has to be worse than "personal attacks".

U don't understand basketball then lol

Thats not what efficiency means. Please go look up Kobe's 81 point game for the definition of efficiency. He had 1.9 pps in the game. That is efficient. Josh last night had 1.15 pps, to have an efficient night you should have at least 1.3 pps.
  • Like 1

Learn to deal with it. Everyone sees how lucky we are to have the guy but us. Even an ESPN guy is calling him the most underrated player in the league.

chris palmer@ESPNChrisPalmer

Josh Smith is ridiculous: 30 points, 18 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals. NBA's most underrated player.

Superior blog man, 54% shooting is efficient. Free throw % is one thing as he is shooting a career low this season. You can't compare Josh to the best scorers of this generation in Kobe and Durant. They have the refs in their back pocket and their franchise has truly built the offense around them.

Superior blog man, 54% shooting is efficient. Free throw % is one thing as he is shooting a career low this season. You can't compare Josh to the best scorers of this generation in Kobe and Durant. They have the refs in their back pocket and their franchise has truly built the offense around them.

OK first off I didn't compare Josh to Kobe, I said that Kobe's 81 point game is the definition of an efficient game. Second, Josh can absolutely be compared to those players. They are all NBA players that play the forward position. I am not comparing Centers to point guards here I am comparing a position that all three players play. Josh absolutely has as much talent as Kevin Love and Kevin Durant. He doesn't utilize it to the best of his abilities. Third, I didn't no compare Love and Durant to Smith as players, I compared the efficiency of their 30 point games. Of which Love's and Durant's are much more efficient.

lol, you can't compare Josh to Durant and Kobe only because of the refs and their franchise built a team around them.Being a premier scorer has just as much to do with making your free throws as it does getting them. .588ft% in 08/09, .618% in 09/10, and this season .601%. Josh is not a stranger to FT woes. And this is not a career low yet but we still have games left. The least you could do is give him that... Edited by Buzzard

It seems that some of you might be confusing efficiency with effective shooting %.

Efficiency

http://www.nba.com/statistics/efficiency.html

How do many NBA coaches quickly evaluate a player's game performance? They check his efficiency.

NBA.com evaluates all players based on the efficiency formula: ((Points + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks) - ((Field Goals Att. - Field Goals Made) + (Free Throws Att. - Free Throws Made) + Turnovers)).

Effective FG%

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html

Effective Field Goal Percentage; the formula is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA. This statistic adjusts for the fact that a 3-point field goal is worth one more point than a 2-point field goal. For example, suppose Player A goes 4 for 10 with 2 threes, while Player B goes 5 for 10 with 0 threes. Each player would have 10 points from field goals, and thus would have the same effective field goal percentage (50%).

And the irony of all ironies here ...

post-5-0-41591100-1332950017.jpg

• Like 2

It seems that some of you might be confusing efficiency with effective shooting %.And the irony of all ironies here ...post-5-0-41591100-1332950017.jpg

You're right, that's my bad. I should say that I am talking about Josh's shooting efficiency through his PPS in recent games. Thanks for the correction. Edited by 01d0rd3r