• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague after Smith chew out

Watchman

Excellent example with Vick. You could take it further with the Manning and Tebow comparison.We all know Jeff is talented but he lacks the ability to make those around him better. Right now he's just out there running fast and jumping high. When (soon I hope) he gets to the point where he can dictate the tempo, like a Rondo, Josh and the other players will all fall in line.

That is all I am trying to say.

true but remember Josh has been in this league (and on the team) for a long time. I think Josh has earn the right to go nutty on a third-year PG. Teague just needs to be a big boy and take that.

LD making Josh a captain is something I cannot argue with. Not because I think Smoove is a mature leader but doing so would hopefully make him a more responsible player.I think it has failed so far and want to add this. If you want to be a leader you must lead by example. I would bet no one on our team repsects Josh's decision making skils ( BBIQ ). Until he starts playing smarter himself he just makes himself look dumber in the eyes of his own team-mates for calling players out for making dumb decisions...Him calling someone out for a bad decision is no different than if he tried to give someone advice on shooting free throws or long range. It just does not fit and makes him look like an ignorant ass IMO. Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

So after being "chewed out" Teague has one of his best game of the season... Teague is a poor passer with little pg skills. This shouldn't even be debated. Staying aggressive is his best weapon at this point. It's the only way he'll make his teammates better until he gets a better understanding of running a ball club.

Nobody is saying that Teague cannot better, he has already improved throughout the year. Like I mentioned previously, Rondo is successful because his teammates who are HOFer's allow him to be. He has the reigns to run the team, that has not happened here for him because Joe and Josh are still ahead of him in the pecking order.Speaking of turnovers Rondo is averaging 3.7 turnovers per game (playing 4 more minutes), Teague is at 2.1.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

So after being "chewed out" Teague has one of his best game of the season... Teague is a poor passer with little pg skills. This shouldn't even be debated. Staying aggressive is his best weapon at this point. It's the only way he'll make his teammates better until he gets a better understanding of running a ball club.

Three games after you mean. The two games right after Boston he averaged 2.5 ppg and 2.5 apg. And he got chewed while having a very good game against arguably the best defensive PG in the NBA right now.Josh Smith is a dumbass but on the brightside most human beings learn our best lessons from our mistakes. Maybe one day the light will turn on for Josh. Stranger things have happened...

Not a leader? hmm....I swore head coach LD named him captain.

I think that has more to do with LD wanting/hoping he will be a leader, not necessarily that he has already proven it. Kind of like giving him some credit and hoping it has a positive effect on him.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

On Josh being a leader:I think we've kind of nailed that on the head. The question you have to ask is...what would be Josh's leadership status for OKC? Chicago? Boston? Dallas? LA? Orlando? He wouldn't be. He'd have a role and he would fill it there and do what he was told. If he did the things in those types of environments that he does here, he would be traded. This is nothing new in any sport. Guys get moved all the time because for whatever reason, they just won't mesh into what the team is trying to do.Let's not drive this into a "cancer" type conversation. I'm not going to go that far. But the issue is that Smoove is the big fish here, with lots of expectations put on him, and because of that he has been made a leader/captain by default.On Teague:I got something to say about Teague... But I'm not going to say it for probably another season. What I am going to say though, is that it takes PG's some time to develop. Moreso than any other position...because of what's involved. PG is all about leadership and decision making. It's good that we're talking about Rondo in this thread because we can use him as a perfect example. Rondo, like any other PG, came into the league at a position that requires leadership from the very start. Unlike most PG's, he inherited 3 hall of fame players. Did that change his responsibility? Did it make his job any different? No and no. He still had to be a leader and under the right coach with the right players, he fourished. The big 3 became a big 4. He may have made it look easy or the Celtics may have made it look easy, but playing that position is not easy. Wing players shoot and score. PF's and C's provide rebounding and low post scoring. Wings draw attention. Bigs anchor your defense. Point guards run the team.All that being said, many PG's come into the league and don't blow up right away. Look at Chauncy Billups. For all intents and purposes, Teague just arrived last season in the playoffs. This is his first year with a decent amount of freedom...and he's still being held back in some respects (hence we have this thread).IMO...Give him a little more time, let him play to his strengths, and FREE him instead of trying to FORCE him into being a playmaker. THEN make the decision as to whether he's the PG of the future.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

One word: Seniority

I think we're missing the point. Factor in Josh's production and the fact that he is in FACT the firstborn Hawk in this group. I feel we forget how long Josh has been here. He has been here longer than Joe, Al, or anyone else you can name. The only person around that has been here as long is probably LD. Call me crazy but I think all of that went into LD's decision to name Josh captain.

I don't understand why this (the captain thing or the Teague thing) is such a fuss. Where is the issue? Josh is the best and most tenured player doing what he's been asked to do? If Teague allows a few words from a co-captain to play with his mind then he has no business in the league.

The way I see it Josh should be able to jump on anyone on the floor other than Joe. Hell this time next season I think he'll have enough clout to were even Joe isn't off limits.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Honestly it makes me happy to see Josh showing emotion and a passion to want the ball unlike our paid "superstar"! It would be better though if Josh had the IQ needed to truly be the leader of this team. Like always if Josh plays hungry then this team can play with and beat anybody and if Josh decides to half step then we lose by 20 to anybody. Whether you like it or not captains are usually your more productive players and Josh can produce in every category more than anyone else on this team.About Jeff, the problems he has is the same problems that face every PG that comes in the league since 2005. Its all about running fast and jumping high with todays points. I like Jeff a lot though he has the potential, I just hope he can develop and not be satisfied with where he is now.

• Moderators

The way I see it Josh should be able to jump on anyone on the floor other than Joe for doing something that is detrimental to the team -- but not for doing something that is needed for the team to improve. He should be reinforcing the right way to play when he exercises his authority.

Fixed.
  • Like 1

On Josh being a leader:I think we've kind of nailed that on the head. The question you have to ask is...what would be Josh's leadership status for OKC? Chicago? Boston? Dallas? LA? Orlando? He wouldn't be. He'd have a role and he would fill it there and do what he was told. If he did the things in those types of environments that he does here, he would be traded. This is nothing new in any sport. Guys get moved all the time because for whatever reason, they just won't mesh into what the team is trying to do.Let's not drive this into a "cancer" type conversation. I'm not going to go that far. But the issue is that Smoove is the big fish here, with lots of expectations put on him, and because of that he has been made a leader/captain by default.On Teague:I got something to say about Teague... But I'm not going to say it for probably another season. What I am going to say though, is that it takes PG's some time to develop. Moreso than any other position...because of what's involved. PG is all about leadership and decision making. It's good that we're talking about Rondo in this thread because we can use him as a perfect example. Rondo, like any other PG, came into the league at a position that requires leadership from the very start. Unlike most PG's, he inherited 3 hall of fame players. Did that change his responsibility? Did it make his job any different? No and no. He still had to be a leader and under the right coach with the right players, he fourished. The big 3 became a big 4. He may have made it look easy or the Celtics may have made it look easy, but playing that position is not easy. Wing players shoot and score. PF's and C's provide rebounding and low post scoring. Wings draw attention. Bigs anchor your defense. Point guards run the team.All that being said, many PG's come into the league and don't blow up right away. Look at Chauncy Billups. For all intents and purposes, Teague just arrived last season in the playoffs. This is his first year with a decent amount of freedom...and he's still being held back in some respects (hence we have this thread).IMO...Give him a little more time, let him play to his strengths, and FREE him instead of trying to FORCE him into being a playmaker. THEN make the decision as to whether he's the PG of the future.

Like I keep saying, Rondo flourished because the 3 HOFer's allowed him to run the team mistakes and all. PP was the most tenured Celtics, allstar and captain but he changed and taylored his game not only on accommodate Rondo but KG and Ray as well.I don't have a problem if Josh is talking to Teague about missing reads, and assignments or unforced turnovers but if he is bellyaching about Jeff taking too many shots that is a no-no. I would rather have Teague penetrate and try to score that pass to Josh who is standing out on the perimeter for a long jumpshot.I would take a player that makes mistakes, and misses some plays and is still learning as opposed to one who is just boneheaded and stubborn about the way he plays. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Like not taking a 3pt shot when there are better shooters standing open out on the floor.

That would be a good reason to jump on someone. Lack of attention on defense, lack of effort on the floor, breaking off plays to freestyle, etc. are all great reasons to jump on someone.

One word: Seniority

I think we're missing the point. Factor in Josh's production and the fact that he is in FACT the firstborn Hawk in this group. I feel we forget how long Josh has been here. He has been here longer than Joe, Al, or anyone else you can name. The only person around that has been here as long is probably LD. Call me crazy but I think all of that went into LD's decision to name Josh captain.

I don't understand why this (the captain thing or the Teague thing) is such a fuss. Where is the issue? Josh is the best and most tenuredplayer doing what he's been asked to do? If Teague allows a few words from a co-captain to play with his mind then he has no business in the league.

The way I see it Josh should be able to jump on anyone on the floor other than Joe. Hell this time next season I think he'll have enough clout to were even Joe isn't off limits.

Just because he feels like it? Oh brother.

Since when has he been doing what he was asked to do? Nobody asked him to pitch baby tantrums. Nobody asked him to play point guard. Nobody asked him to play on the perimeter. Nobody asked him to shoot long 2s and 3s.

As to the tenure issue, whoop dee doo. The village idiot has tenure. So what? That gives him the right to yell at lesser experienced players in effect telling them to "do what I say, not what I do"? He needs to concern himself with improving his own game. Leave the chewing out for the coaches to do. I wish Joe would call Smith out. Like I say, I wish Ivan would call him out and beat the crap out the little whiner.