• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Battleship and The Avengers

Admin

Movie questions  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No spoilers in this first post so don't worry I won't ruin these for you if you haven't seen them.

Oh and yes Hots I know I know you hate both of these movies... :beathorse:

These are the last 2 movies that I've seen in the theater over the past 3 weeks. Saw the Avengers opening weekend and damn I really, really liked it... but I'm kind of surprised at just how well it's doing. Last I heard it's going to be the 3rd highest grossing movie ever behind Avatar and The Titanic. I was wondering how they'd make Loki worthy of needing all of the The Avengers when Thor was enough on his own in the Thor movie. I thought it was great how they made the heroes interact with each other and how they all had their own little arrogant moments. Far and away the Hulk stole the movie for me and that says a lot since I went in disappointed that this is the 3rd actor to play the Hulk on the big screen in the last 10 years or so.

I saw Battleship today and I can't believe how much I liked it! 2nd straight day seeing a big movie starring Taylor Kitsch (saw John Carter last night) and he did a great job and it seems he's cut out to play the hero. I don't want to give away too much of this so I can't really talk about the plot but damn it was cool how they made it like the old board game! And my new hottest girl in the world Brooklyn Decker was absolutely smoking hot as some nice eye candy throughout the movie. I enjoyed this movie so much that I actually regretted being a soldier instead of a sailor... although that went away once the movie was over LOL.

Bottom line is you need to see both of these in theaters as they're awesome big screen movies that won't be the same at home.

No spoilers in this first post so don't worry I won't ruin these for you if you haven't seen them.

Oh and yes Hots I know I know you hate both of these movies... Posted Image

These are the last 2 movies that I've seen in the theater over the past 3 weeks. Saw the Avengers opening weekend and damn I really, really liked it... but I'm kind of surprised at just how well it's doing. Last I heard it's going to be the 3rd highest grossing movie ever behind Avatar and The Titanic. I was wondering how they'd make Loki worthy of needing all of the The Avengers when Thor was enough on his own in the Thor movie. I thought it was great how they made the heroes interact with each other and how they all had their own little arrogant moments. Far and away the Hulk stole the movie for me and that says a lot since I went in disappointed that this is the 3rd actor to play the Hulk on the big screen in the last 10 years or so.

I saw Battleship today and I can't believe how much I liked it! 2nd straight day seeing a big movie starring Taylor Kitsch (saw John Carter last night) and he did a great job and it seems he's cut out to play the hero. I don't want to give away too much of this so I can't really talk about the plot but damn it was cool how they made it like the old board game! And my new hottest girl in the world Brooklyn Decker was absolutely smoking hot as some nice eye candy throughout the movie. I enjoyed this movie so much that I actually regretted being a soldier instead of a sailor... although that went away once the movie was over LOL.

Bottom line is you need to see both of these in theaters as they're awesome big screen movies that won't be the same at home.

Well, Batman is really the only one of the "superheroes" that I ever cared for and that's about all I'll say about that.

Battleship... It's projected to make somewhere in the range of 21 million dollars. Which for it, it would be a bomb in the US like John Carter. That will probably end Taylor Kitsch's career. Sam Worthington was a flop and Taylor Kitsch will be a flop also. It's really amazing at the lack of talent in Hollywood. To see them casting people like Decker and Rihanna shows just how bad of shape Hollywood is in right now. I know that Neeson signed up[, but that's no accomplishment. He will take any role for a dollar.

I don't see the hype for Rihanna either. She has a big ugly a nose, a big forehead and her voice is terrible. She is pretty much another corporate shill that can't sing.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Well, Batman is really the only one of the "superheroes" that I ever cared for and that's about all I'll say about that.

Battleship... It's projected to make somewhere in the range of 21 million dollars. Which for it, it would be a bomb in the US like John Carter. That will probably end Taylor Kitsch's career. Sam Worthington was a flop and Taylor Kitsch will be a flop also. It's really amazing at the lack of talent in Hollywood. To see them casting people like Decker and Rihanna shows just how bad of shape Hollywood is in right now. I know that Neeson signed up[, but that's no accomplishment. He will take any role for a dollar.

I don't see the hype for Rihanna either. She has a big ugly a nose, a big forehead and her voice is terrible. She is pretty much another corporate shill that can't sing.

I never cared about any comic stuff growing up but I've enjoyed most of the superhero genre of movies.

Battleship has already made 215,000 overseas and made 9 million on Friday in the US and I'd expect it probably doubled that today based on the lines I saw and expecting that's probably fairly common at most theaters. Neeson doesn't have a huge part in the movie but he played his role well, as did Alexander Skarsgard.

We'll have to see what John Carter does in the DVD market but if they do a good job of marketing it (doubtful) then it might do well.

I'm not a fan of Rihanna but she was a lot better than I expected as an actress. Decker will probably never win an Oscar but she looks damned good on screen in a bikini!

I never cared about any comic stuff growing up but I've enjoyed most of the superhero genre of movies.Battleship has already made 215,000 overseas and made 9 million on Friday in the US and I'd expect it probably doubled that today based on the lines I saw and expecting that's probably fairly common at most theaters. Neeson doesn't have a huge part in the movie but he played his role well, as did Alexander Skarsgard.We'll have to see what John Carter does in the DVD market but if they do a good job of marketing it (doubtful) then it might do well.I'm not a fan of Rihanna but she was a lot better than I expected as an actress. Decker will probably never win an Oscar but she looks damned good on screen in a bikini!

http://www.deadline....egins-stronger/It looks like it is going to tank here. But yeah, people in other countries might just be worse than the american audience.Even the context of: "It's only an action/adventure movie"We have gone from movies like Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark to watching mediocre pop stars and bimbo's like Brooklyn Decker in half baked CGI ridden stuff like Battleship.But hey... It has big shiny things that blow up! Edited by Hotlanta1981

http://www.deadline....egins-stronger/It looks like it is going to tank here. But yeah, people in other countries might just be worse than the american audience.Even the context of: "It's only an action/adventure movie"We have gone from movies like Jaws and Raiders of the Lost Ark to watching mediocre pop stars and bimbo's like Brooklyn Decker in half baked CGI ridden stuff like Battleship.But hey... It has big shiny things that blow up!

And I know that post sounds uptight and snobby... But really, I get a kick out of those guys that mock and laugh at rom com's as if going to see stuff like Battleship is somehow better. lol. And I know those type of people that will watch this kind of stuff but then complain that rom com's are boring and predictable.I know I complain too much... But I hate to see film die just like I hate to see music die. Edited by Hotlanta1981

Judging by his past films, I'm willing to concede that Peter Berg is better than Micheal Bay for instance. Friday Night Lights and The Rundown are decent films. And I do realize that my dislike for Micheal Bay somewhat made me jaded when it comes to the action genre. But I'm not seeing anything that interests me here. Surely not the poor cast, the alien invasion thing and the tired repetitive effects. And from what I read, throws in the patriotic undertones... Which I'm not big on patriotism. I'll probably see it when it I can pick it up at Redbox or something. But I'm not spending theater type money on this.

• Moderators

I don't have much interest in Battleship but I took my oldest to the Avengers movie and we both enjoyed it. Signing Whedon on to run the project was a smart move. I was a fan of the work he did with Buffy and Firefly. He does a good job of writing dialogue and setting up character interaction and a little of that goes a long way to adding some meat to a "summer spectacle" movie. I won't be rushing out to buy the DVD when it is released, but I would enjoy another view sometime down the line.I think my favorite superhero genre flick the past few years might be Kickass. I saw that at a discount theater when I was on the road and thoroughly enjoyed it - even Nick Cage who I usually detest.

I don't have much interest in Battleship but I took my oldest to the Avengers movie and we both enjoyed it. Signing Whedon on to run the project was a smart move. I was a fan of the work he did with Buffy and Firefly. He does a good job of writing dialogue and setting up character interaction and a little of that goes a long way to adding some meat to a "summer spectacle" movie. I won't be rushing out to buy the DVD when it is released, but I would enjoy another view sometime down the line.I think my favorite superhero genre flick the past few years might be Kickass. I saw that at a discount theater when I was on the road and thoroughly enjoyed it - even Nick Cage who I usually detest.

You should give Battleship a try as it was MUCH better than I expected it to be and I wasn't even really looking forward to seeing it. Whedon definitely did a great job with the character development of so many main characters and in such a short movie without slowing the movie down or muddling the plot.Kickass was a lot better than I expected it to be as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Battleship was very disappointing. The dialogue was really bad and the action was only ok. I am not really critical of movies either, but the only reason I finished the movie is because I paid 9 bucks to watch it. I gave it a 6/10 and that's being generous.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed MIB 3 too. It didn't have the laughs the others had, but it was entertaining and I could see myself renting it a few years down the line.

Agreed. They played it straight with this one. At least more than I expected. The funniest parts were actually tied to Brolin's impersonation of Tommy Lee Jones. That and a the time warp gimmick added some freshness to the series.

• 1 month later...

So, Battleship... Man, this thing is BAD. The word of mouth wasn't good from those close, and I watched it a few days ago.I think this film shows just how stale the action movies are. Cliches all over the place. The main dude... Man, did he look like a Josh Hartnett wannabe or what? I kept thinking that if Josh was still doing action blockbusters, it would have been him in this movie. Typical classic rock soundtrack that sounds tired by now.I'm a classic rock fan, but AC/DC and Fortunate Son are so overplayed in movies like this at this point.Over the top effects, bad performances and stock unrealistic dialogue. Peter Berg did a good job with The Rundown and Friday Night Lights. But this.... Over the top and stale. I don't see how people can't be completely tired of movies like this by now. It's 3rd rate Micheal Bay stuff.I'd rather watch a Steven Segal double header than watch this again.Men In Black III exceeded expectations, but Battleship was about what I thought it would be.

Edited by Hotlanta1981