• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does it not look like LD and Ferry want the Hawks to run a Miami Heat Offense style?

JTB

Ok before I get chewed out let me explain.....

first off im not comparing players! of course the Heat is better than the Hawks as far as players go and just a unit in whole. But I see the hawks trying to run a similar offense style with less talented players and if you take a little time to read my post I will tell you why I am saying this.

What has come out of LD's mouth and Ferry's mouth all summer since the trading away of Johnson and Williams and bringing in of Lou, Harris, and others?

ok so all summer EVERYBODY knows that LD and Ferry talked about spreading the floor with shooters and using our fast perimeter guys to attack the basket!...If you have kept up with the hawks you have heard LD and Ferry say this in most of their interviews!

What LD and Ferry want to see on offense from this new look hawks team?

Well first off they want to see the hawks score in transition or in other words on the fast break especially teague, harris and lou because they can push the ball. now I dont feel I need to provide any quotes in case you dont believe me cause they both have talked about this strategy numerous times of using teague, harris, and lou to drive to the paint/ attack the basket in the open court on fast breaks and in the half court with deadly shooters on the perimeter ready for the possible kick out.

Is this offense strategy not what the Miami Heat do?

now i get that wade and lebron are going to get there isolation plays of course but when they are working as a team....the same strategy LD and ferry want the hawks to use is what miami does! This is what the heat does on offense...

Miami offense:

-run the fastbreak

-attack the basket and kick out if necessary

-post up lebron and kick out

-iso wade or lebron

-run picks to free up wade or lebron

and in that order! Miami looks to score on you quickly and when you stop the fastbreak if you can that is, wade and lebron looks attack the basket to see if they can score inside or if thats shutdown they continue to drive and kick out to there 3pt shooters, if thats stopped they start running iso wade or lebron and when thats stopped if can be anyways they start running picks for lebron or wade to free them up

Atleast thats what they did in the finals! Did LBJ not attack durant in their half court offense and kick out when needed? Did he not post durant up when ever he wanted to and kicked out when needed?

Lets compare that to the ATL Hawks

We can do everything miami does! maybe not better and maybe we cant post up but we are damn similar

Hawks offense will do their Miami HEAT impression but like this:

-fastbreak with teague, harris, or lou pushing the ball and either finish or throw it to smith who is likely going to be down the court

-attack the basket in halfcourt with teague, harris, or lou and kick out when needed to our many 3 pt shooters

-post up smith or horford like miami post up lbj and they will kick out when needed

-run picks to free up our shooters and drivers

-iso lou who seems to be our only iso player if ever needed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long post but this new hawks offense is a mini me version of what the miami heat team runs. Yes its simple but the players on both teams really make it work and though we wont be nearly as good as the heat we will have an offense to surely watch if they do what LD and ferry tells them to!

COMMENTS

ps its not hard to see what the offense will try to display and look like

And this game may illustrate what is to come. Yes, the offense by the Warriors is great, but they can't stop the Lakers. Warriors shot 48% FG and 43% from 3 ( made 13 threes ). But the Lakers shot 56% FG, terrible from 3 ( 30% ), but shot and made 34 of 42 FTs. Golden State was 12 - 13 FTSo would people rather see 110+ point games and lose to good teams? Would that make the Hawks more worthwhile to watch, even if they lost the game?

And this game may illustrate what is to come. Yes, the offense by the Warriors is great, but they can't stop the Lakers. Warriors shot 48% FG and 43% from 3 ( made 13 threes ). But the Lakers shot 56% FG, terrible from 3 ( 30% ), but shot and made 34 of 42 FTs. Golden State was 12 - 13 FT So would people rather see 110+ point games and lose to good teams? Would that make the Hawks more worthwhile to watch, even if they lost the game?

Definitely would make them much more exciting to even the most casual fan, but as you are implying, it is no recipe for long term success...especially against quality teams.

I'd say there's a tremendous difference from having Chris Hunter and Anthony Tolliver being your only bigmen on a roster than having Al Horford and Josh Smith to go along with Zaza coming off the bench. That right there seems to be a marked difference from any Nellieball team that prominently featured Corey Maggette or Stephen Jackson as their "big" men so I don't see that comparison unless every team that runs gets an automatic comparison to GS. Why not Phoenix? Or perhaps, and this is a wild guess here, the Spurs who were ranked 7th in pace last season and just so happen to be the organization that our GM hails from?

I also don't see the Heat comparison unless any team that wishes to drive to the basket, post up occasionally and run in transition gets an automatic comparison as jacking their gameplan. That's the gameplan for at least 28 other teams in the league once you break it down like that. The Heat are built around their defense and the one on one ability of their stars, they feature very little motion and mostly only transition off of their defense. Their pace is deliberate also which seems to be the antithesis of this current roster.

I'd say there's a tremendous difference from having Chris Hunter and Anthony Tolliver being your only bigmen on a roster than having Al Horford and Josh Smith to go along with Zaza coming off the bench. That right there seems to be a marked difference from any Nellieball team that prominently featured Corey Maggette or Stephen Jackson as their "big" men so I don't see that comparison unless every team that runs gets an automatic comparison to GS. Why not Phoenix? Or perhaps, and this is a wild guess here, the Spurs who were ranked 7th in pace last season and just so happen to be the organization that our GM hails from?

I also don't see the Heat comparison unless any team that wishes to drive to the basket, post up occasionally and run in transition gets an automatic comparison as jacking their gameplan. That's the gameplan for at least 28 other teams in the league once you break it down like that. The Heat are built around their defense and the one on one ability of their stars, they feature very little motion and mostly only transition off of their defense. Their pace is deliberate also which seems to be the antithesis of this current roster.

This

It's the Golden State offense of 2010 Ironically, this vid has quite a bit of Anthony Tolliver and Anthony Morrow in it. http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-iImJ6ho4

ok i agree but i still see a heat comparison with the hawks as far as offense with less talented players but i like this golden state comparison better because of their guys being small like our hawks but i see a couple of problems....same as i saw when comparing them to miami 1. who is going to be our curry/lbj? is jeff teague going to make these passes I saw from curry in this video 2. monta ellis is a known scorer at the 2 and he's very dominant in doing so as you can see in the video! who will be like him on this hawks team? Im guessing this is where lou williams step in cause i see no other hawk being close at all. 3. the defense is horrible for the warriors! its not just the bigs but the guards too. why would the hawks run small if defense is going to be this bad?.....this is the reason I said deshawn would start at either the 2 or 3 along with korver or morrow and smith and horford are the 2 BIGS So what im saying you can compare to the warriors when we have 2 of the 3 guards teague, harris, lou in the game but i know that LD will have a problem with the defense of these players. therefore we will see a similar warriors 2010 offense with less speedier guys from time to time or for the most part nearly all game unless harris shows he can guard 2s cause we know lou and teague can't

This

but haven't josh smith and the rest of the hawks been talking about defense as well?! what did josh smith say recently?...it all starts with defense. the only point you proved is that we dont have iso players like lbj or wade but what makes you think they are going to run iso heavy after picking up ray allen and rashard lewis?...i say they are going to do what they did in the finals!....most of the time or every opportunity...drive and kick out when needed....lbj cant be dumb enough to think iso ball is going to win him another championship cause it didnt win him the first one! lbj tried this in cleveland people!....iso offense only works in the regular season! even lbj will get stopped running iso's all day in the playoffs....this is why he used his team and his 3 point shooters who stepped up in the finals this past year.

Miami runs an ISO-heavy offense. ISO Joe has killed us many times the last few seasons, so I am happy that offense is gone. I really like the GS offense. We definitely have the pieces to make it work.

i dont get why people yet alone the miami heat would choose to run a iso heavy when they didnt even run a iso heavy to win the finals?! if miami has learned anything by now its that team work wins championships and if they dumb enough to run iso heavy yet again i can see them struggling early in the playoffs until they begin to use their whole team! ISO-LBJ or ISO-WADE did not and will not win them another championship! they lost trying to do that shit against the mavericks the first time they went to the finals.

but haven't josh smith and the rest of the hawks been talking about defense as well?! what did josh smith say recently?...it all starts with defense. the only point you proved is that we dont have iso players like lbj or wade but what makes you think they are going to run iso heavy after picking up ray allen and rashard lewis?...i say they are going to do what they did in the finals!....most of the time or every opportunity...drive and kick out when needed....lbj cant be dumb enough to think iso ball is going to win him another championship cause it didnt win him the first one! lbj tried this in cleveland people!....iso offense only works in the regular season! even lbj will get stopped running iso's all day in the playoffs....this is why he used his team and his 3 point shooters who stepped up in the finals this past year.

I do like the fact that Josh and LD have been talking defense and they have to prove it on the court this season. Miami's staple has always been on the defensive side and they have the athletes and toughness to do it. When the Big # got together it took them a while to figure out their offense but the defense was all set for the most part. The Hawks are still a work in progress on offense and defense. Edited by JayBirdHawk

In that close, high scoring game, someone pointed out the reason

for the loss, but it wasn't elaborated on.

One side had a lot of free throws and got a lot of points there. The

losing team had very few.

If Atlanta is to be a run and gun offense, which we all expect, there

will be a lot of fast break points. One thing I noticed while following

their last game, the Hawks dominated the fast break points.

For all of you who have followed the old man's posts over the years,

you know how I hate it when we fail to hit our free throws. Winning

basketball depends on having a high % from the charity stripe.

Fast breaks may draw the foul. Penetrate and kick may draw the foul.

Paul Pierce is one of the best in the NBA in drawing the foul. He can.

or so it seems, get a foul call at any time he wants to.

You want to see this year's Hawk team have a winning record? Make

sure you don't have a bunch of players who hit 50% from the free throw

line. Or, have players who are never fouled, aka Joe J.

ok i agree but i still see a heat comparison with the hawks as far as offense with less talented players but i like this golden state comparison better because of their guys being small like our hawks but i see a couple of problems....same as i saw when comparing them to miami 1. who is going to be our curry/lbj? is jeff teague going to make these passes I saw from curry in this video 2. monta ellis is a known scorer at the 2 and he's very dominant in doing so as you can see in the video! who will be like him on this hawks team? Im guessing this is where lou williams step in cause i see no other hawk being close at all. 3. the defense is horrible for the warriors! its not just the bigs but the guards too. why would the hawks run small if defense is going to be this bad?.....this is the reason I said deshawn would start at either the 2 or 3 along with korver or morrow and smith and horford are the 2 BIGS So what im saying you can compare to the warriors when we have 2 of the 3 guards teague, harris, lou in the game but i know that LD will have a problem with the defense of these players. therefore we will see a similar warriors 2010 offense with less speedier guys from time to time or for the most part nearly all game unless harris shows he can guard 2s cause we know lou and teague can't

I thought you said you weren't comparing people, just the offensive style. - We're smallish like Golden St - We're going to let our guards dictate tempo like Golden St - We're going to try to play extremely fast like Golden St - We're going to use dribble penetration and kick-outs to set up our shooters like Golden St Maybe a better comparison is the 2011 Golden State Warrior team, with David Lee on it. They were still a top 5 team in Pace, but didn't play as fast as the 2010 team