• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

jenkins

modawgatl18

I know we have similar players as him in a sense and more proven players on the bench but im really excited to see him on the floor love his work ethic shooting ability not complaing though just very happy we beat a good team in a tough place to play last night i just wanna see our 1ST round pick get in the act Go Hawks!!!!!!!

Reality is historically that Hawks either don't develop or play rookies or young guys unless they are forced to so if we keep playing like we did against the Thunder then you forget about seeing Jenkins getting playing time.

• Moderators

Unless the decision has been made that the Hawks made a mistake by drafting Jenkins so early, there is no defensible reason for not playing him AT ALL. Sending him to the D-League is just a band-aid. Put him in the game.

I'm not following this. It seems highly likely that he isn't ready to play in the nba. Should we play him just because we drafted him? A lot of guys drafted in his range are out of the league in a couple years without ever being rotation players. I'm a fan of winning games. I'm sure he is learning plenty at practice.
  • Like 1

• Admin

I'm not following this. It seems highly likely that he isn't ready to play in the nba. Should we play him just because we drafted him? A lot of guys drafted in his range are out of the league in a couple years without ever being rotation players. I'm a fan of winning games. I'm sure he is learning plenty at practice.

Completely agree...there is no need to rush him if he is not ready. Groom him to be a solid NBA player...D-League is perfect for that.

Completely agree...there is no need to rush him if he is not ready. Groom him to be a solid NBA player...D-League is perfect for that.

u groom him by playing him. point blank. Nobody gets better by practice alone especially when he's already deep on the bench. leave him on the bench and he's another Acie Law and Jeff Teague pre Hinrich injury. We never develop guys and y'all want to continue to do the same? It seems every team in the league finds time for their talented young guys instead of us. Any player will get better with game experience, even scrubs. So playing him will not kill his confidence, sitting on the bench every night will

• Moderators

Morrow is the same player but with experience and guile. Jenkins will need to earn some court time because he doesn't do anything that our existing players can't do. That said, as he demonstrates better fundamentals and understanding on both ends of the court I expect he will start to earn some time. It will probably take an injury to really open this one up, though. It is like Jermaine O'Neal when he was in Portland - too much ahead of him in the rotation and to little to distinguish him from the vets.

• Like 1

• Admin

u groom him by playing him. point blank. Nobody gets better by practice alone especially when he's already deep on the bench. leave him on the bench and he's another Acie Law and Jeff Teague pre Hinrich injury. We never develop guys and y'all want to continue to do the same? It seems every team in the league finds time for their talented young guys instead of us. Any player will get better with game experience, even scrubs. So playing him will not kill his confidence, sitting on the bench every night will

Did you miss the part about sending him the the d-league? That is not the end of the bench...that is getting a lot of pt with coaches helping to develop him. Baseball players come up through the minors...Jenkins is probably not quite ready for prime time yet and this is a great way to prepare him

Did you miss the part about sending him the the d-league? That is not the end of the bench...that is getting a lot of pt with coaches helping to develop him. Baseball players come up through the minors...Jenkins is probably not quite ready for prime time yet and this is a great way to prepare him

the dleague is against guys that can't make it in the league. U RARELY see somebody go to the dleague, come back and then produce. Nobody that good gets sent to the dleague. If drew wasn't a terrible coach he'd find minutes for him while he's trotting out unproductive VET players every night smh. all the good coaches in this league find time for their young guys.

Morrow is the same player but with experience and guile. Jenkins will need to earn some court time because he doesn't do anything that our existing players can't do. That said, as he demonstrates better fundamentals and understanding on both ends of the court I expect he will start to earn some time. It will probably take an injury to really open this one up, though. It is like Jermaine O'Neal when he was in Portland - too much ahead of him in the rotation and to little to distinguish him from the vets.

It was Ok for Portland to do that with O'neal, they were actually making noise in the playoffs and close to contending for a Championship. We are not in contention to win the Championship this year so we might as well find some time for Jenks. And especially since most of the guys ahead of him are FAs and might not be back. We at least have to find out if he can contribute to a real NBA game. Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

It was Ok for Portland to do that with O'neal, they were actually making noise in the playoffs and close to contending for a Championship. We are not in contention to win the Championship this year so we might as well find some time for Jenks.

Over the course of the season, I agree. Right out of the gate? I don't feel that is necessary. We are likely going to flip some of these vets for future assets anyway this season. Might as well showcase them and let Jenkins learn a bit more before pushing him beyond where the coach is comfortable. If we are seeing Jenkins with no minutes in early 2013, that will be a huge problem. October and early November doesn't carry the same urgency for me.

It was Ok for Portland to do that with O'neal, they were actually making noise in the playoffs and close to contending for a Championship. We are not in contention to win the Championship this year so we might as well find some time for Jenks.

exactly these guys on this board sound worse than Woody and Drew. Every year its an EXCUSE not to develop your young talent and im sick of it. Nobody in the league does it but us, and that is exactly why we haven't come close to contending yet. I remember Acie came out of nowhere to have a great playoff performance his rookie year similar to Teague against Chicago. Unlike Drew with Hinrich out he wasn't forced to play him so Acie sat the bench the rest of the series while Rondo and Cassell ran circles around Bibby

• Moderators

exactly these guys on this board sound worse than Woody and Drew. Every year its an EXCUSE not to develop your young talent and im sick of it. Nobody in the league does it but us, and that is exactly why we haven't come close to contending yet. I remember Acie came out of nowhere to have a great playoff performance his rookie year similar to Teague against Chicago. Unlike Drew with Hinrich out he wasn't forced to play him so Acie sat the bench the rest of the series while Rondo and Cassell ran circles around Bibby

Are you kidding me. Acie played in 110+ games in 2 years as a Hawk. In the FIVE years since then he's played in about 80 nba games. If anything we played Acie waaay too much. People complain about free agents not wanting to come here think what it would be like if they saw solid nba vets sitting while undeserving rookies kick the ball around. Where is Salim, Solo, friggin Sheldon, Royal Ivey. Two games into the season and its 'well we aren't winning the championship so why try to win games?' I just don't get it. Sorry, my rant for the day.

Are you kidding me. Acie played in 110+ games in 2 years as a Hawk. In the FIVE years since then he's played in about 80 nba games. If anything we played Acie waaay too much. People complain about free agents not wanting to come here think what it would be like if they saw solid nba vets sitting while undeserving rookies kick the ball around. Where is Salim, Solo, friggin Sheldon, Royal Ivey. Two games into the season and its 'well we aren't winning the championship so why try to win games?' I just don't get it. Sorry, my rant for the day.

when I say sat the bench i dont mean dnp cd obviously smh