• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Severly Out Rebounded

Jody23

• Premium Member

The Hawks roll with the small lineup again and again, they get out rebounded. This time severely; 58 to 37. This is why I've always hated the small lineup and why the Hawks are gonna have to go away from it if they ever want to seriously contend. Doesn't matter how much offense you have or how many shooters you have. You're not going to win many games getting out rebounded like that.

It amazes me that the Hawks can get out rebounded by 21 and still win the game! Of course, they were playing the winless Wizards and they probably won't get away with that very often! I thought the Hawks were doing a better job with their rebounding in recent games but this was pretty disappointing. I thought the Hawks were looking at a couple of Centers to add one to the roster? Just in my personal opinion (and, I don't get to see the Hawks play so I get most my information from this board and the AJC so my opinions are very limited!) but if the Hawks can get one more BIG that can help with the rebounding and possibly a little inside scoring they could be a pretty darn good team!

• Premium Member

Adding another big man is nice, but it's totally meaningless if you don't change the lineup to use him. Like you said, it's amazing they won this game against the Wizards, but against most other teams, this is a loss in regulation. So I'm hoping for the day when they abandon the small ball lineup.

• Premium Member

The Hawks roll with the small lineup again and again, they get out rebounded. This time severely; 58 to 37. This is why I've always hated the small lineup and why the Hawks are gonna have to go away from it if they ever want to seriously contend. Doesn't matter how much offense you have or how many shooters you have. You're not going to win many games getting out rebounded like that.

What do you think about Seraphin?

• Premium Member

We're going to have more nights like this, getting killed on the boards, until we restructure our lineup.

This exactly, which is why I could care less about guys playing a position where they can get better individual numbers. Give me the lineups that will protect the backboard and the win column. Individual numbers are secondary.

• Premium Member

This exactly, which is why I could care less about guys playing a position where they can get better individual numbers. Give me the lineups that will protect the backboard and the win column. Individual numbers are secondary.

Rebounds are one of the keys to winning. Washington is not good enough to take full advantage of 2nd chance points, but when we play games that matter, those teams will demolish us if we don't create a culture of rebounding.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Rebounds are one of the keys to winning. Washington is not good enough to take full advantage of 2nd chance points, but when we play games that matter, those teams will demolish us if we don't create a culture of rebounding.

Precisely. This is one reason why I don't think Drew will last past this year. He doesn't seem to have made the correlation with the things you mention.

Does everyone not see that pachidi a can't play there to much because that means josh will stand on the perimeter and hoist more long jumpers. I live smoove but he has to go. Al and another big man is the need. Josh for Jefferson straight up OR josh for favors and a scrub

• Premium Member

Precisely. This is one reason why I don't think Drew will last past this year. He doesn't seem to have made the correlation with the things you mention.

Just to make an objective call here. It's not that LD has an offensive scheme that prevents us from rebounding. We're not a run and fun team that looks to break out on every possession. It's that we have players who have never been good at boxing out. Smoove came in as a SG/SF from High School. He never learned to box out correctly because he was the star of his team. Horf can rebound. Zaza can rebound. But neither of them are Horace Grant or Dale Davis types. They are not going to forsake all to get boards. Well, maybe Zaza on the offensive boards, but if you play Zaza and Horf, you will have to get more offensive boards because Smoove will hoist shots.

• Premium Member

but if you play Zaza and Horf, you will have to get more offensive boards because Smoove will hoist shots.

This is primarily why you play Zaza and Horford together and limit playing Josh Smith at power forward because Smith will hoist shots regardless of what position he is playing on the floor. And if he is hoisting these shot while playing power forward, we have no shot at an offensive rebound.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This is primarily why you play Zaza and Horford together and limit playing Josh Smith at power forward because Smith will hoist shots regardless of what position he is playing on the floor. And if he is hoisting these shot while playing power forward, we have no shot at an offensive rebound.

I would think that this is just another reason why you look to move Smoove before the break or before he loses all his value. Currently, we are not built for Smoove. Not when we have Horf and Zaza and no real vet voice and no real coach who enforces. Smoove is talented ... no doubt. However, he's headstrong. That mixed with our combination of weaknesses makes Smoove cancerous to us. D'Antoni (with Kobe) can reach Smoove. He'd be a star in LA. However, they want too much (it seems) for Gasol.

• Premium Member

I would think that this is just another reason why you look to move Smoove before the break or before he loses all his value. Currently, we are not built for Smoove. Not when we have Horf and Zaza and no real vet voice and no real coach who enforces. Smoove is talented ... no doubt. However, he's headstrong. That mixed with our combination of weaknesses makes Smoove cancerous to us. D'Antoni (with Kobe) can reach Smoove. He'd be a star in LA. However, they want too much (it seems) for Gasol.

I agree with this. Although I'm interested to see what this SO CALLED plan of Ferry is, I'll be highly disappointed with any configuration that features Josh primarily at power forward. The Hawks just aren't a strong rebounding team with him there for a majority of his minutes, no matter who you're playing at center. If the Hawks retain Josh (which I'm not necessarily against), I would like to see them use him more as the hybrid forward he is. Changing his role from being a top option on offense, and have him play more of an energy guy role where he focuses more on getting put backs, fast break points, loose balls and bullying small forwards inside.

• Premium Member

If the Hawks retain Josh (which I'm not necessarily against), I would like to see them use him more as the hybrid forward he is. Changing his role from being a top option on offense, and have him play more of an energy guy role where he focuses more on getting put backs, fast break points, loose balls and bullying small forwards inside.

I just wonder what Drew sees that we don't see that makes him want to make Josh Smith the focus on offense. I see Josh Smith as a very limited offensive player who might be the worst offensive option in the starting line up unless Drew goes back to starting Deshaun Stevenson for some reason. But Drew doesn't see it that way. He apparently sees Josh as the best option and I want the Drew apologist to offer an explanation for this obvious misperception on Drew's part.

• Premium Member

I just wonder what Drew sees that we don't see that makes him want to make Josh Smith the focus on offense. I see Josh Smith as a very limited offensive player who might be the worst offensive option in the starting line up unless Drew goes back to starting Deshaun Stevenson for some reason. But Drew doesn't see it that way. He apparently sees Josh as the best option and I want the Drew apologist to offer an explanation for this obvious misperception on Drew's part.

Lol. I wonder the same thing. But we are talking about a guy who saw fit to play Anthony Tolliver as many minutes as possible when there were clearly better options. Look, I believe Drew knows this is his last year here so, I think that knowledge greatly affects his decision making for the worse at times.

• Premium Member

Lol. I wonder the same thing. But we are talking about a guy who saw fit to play Anthony Tolliver as many minutes as possible when there were clearly better options. Look, I believe Drew knows this is his last year here so, I think that knowledge greatly affects his decision making for the worse at times.

if your job is on the line, then you try to do you best to make yourself look good...and playing Tolliver those many minutes did anything but make LD look good.