• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - Cavaliers

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

The Cleveland Cavaliers are not quite as road-weary as the last couple of contestants at the Highlight Factory. But they are feeling a bit run over. They’ve lost 10 of their last 11. And after dropping three road games over Thanksgiving weekend, they came home on Tuesday to fall by double digits to a Suns team that would lose the next night in Detroit by 40.

Cleveland’s marquee player, Kyrie “Uncle Drew” Irving, remains out of action with a hand injury, leaving the competitive burden to Anderson “Sideshow Bob” Varejao and a cast of inexperienced and/or vastly underwhelming characters. They also have had to deal with guard Daniel “Boobie” Gibson unable to play against Phoenix with a sore elbow. Gibson will be a gametime decision for tonight. Never-cheerful Coach Byron Scott was especially curt after Tuesday night’s game: “Anderson Varejao was fantastic. Everybody else sucked tonight.”

With the exception of Kyrie, Scott’s could extrapolate his reflection to describe their 2012-13 season to date. Andy V has indeed been fantastic. His 14.5 points per game is blowing away his career-high scoring average of 10.8 from last season. It’s not just a necessarily higher usage rate, as he has boosted his free throw shooting to 78% (after steadily improving to a career-high 67% last year). Plus, his assist production (3.2 per game) is almost double last year’s career high. Few players reach their professional peak after they hit 30 years of age, so what he’s accomplishing even under the team’s circumstances is phenomenal. And all that’s not even considering his rebounding.

Varejao (14.9 rebounds per game) leads The Association in offensive rebounds per game and is second only to Kevin Love in defensive rebounds per game. With his help, Cavs’ opponents are the only ones in the NBA getting less than 10 offensive boards per game, which is odd since, as a team, Cleveland is next-to-last in defensive rebounds per game. If he’s not holding the ball after an opponent shoots, that’s probably because it fell through the cylinder: the Cavs are giving up field goals at a league-high 48.9%. While Scott is trying to slow the pace down (89.4 possessions per 48 minutes in the last 5 games; 97.3 through November 25th) without Irving, Varejao is doing his best to keep foes to one-and-done possessions and maximize the chances for his wayward-shooting teammates (41.7 FG%, 27th in the league).

No, Tristan Thompson and Tyler “Stop Calling Me Cody” Zeller did not suddenly become Cody Rhodes fans. Both have been wearing protective facemasks, Zeller soldiering on after his cheekbone took the worst out of a collision with DeAndre Jordan’s elbow. While it’s far too early, more than a few Cavs fans are already questioning whether it was worth trading three draft picks (two of them early second rounders) to move up for the seven-footer. In his breakout game, Tyler went for 15 points and 7 rebounds while going 6-for-10 against the Clippers before getting MMA’d in the fourth quarter. In the 7 games since returning, he’s averaging 23 minutes off the bench, but just 4.4 PPG and 4.6 RPG while shooting 33 FG%.

Meanwhile, looking like some kind of Canadian Crippler, Thompson’s progress has slowed since donning the mask, suffering a nasal fracture a couple weeks ago against the Sixers. He went 1-for-7 in his last game, the second time in a week, but he’s really needed on defense while he works on his offensive consistency. SB Nation’s Conrad Kaczmarek notes that the Cavs have given up 13.7 more points per 100 possessions when Tristan’s not on the floor. Whenever he shoots, though, he’ll want to immediately cover that nose, as over 20 percent of his shots have gotten blocked (top 5 in the league). Zaza Pachulia’s “nothing easy” philosophy will work well when these guys get the ball near the hoop. Aside from Varejao, none of the Cav bigs are hitting more than 60% of their free throws.

The Hawks won’t have one of the Two Lukes to kick around anymore. Luke Harangody is out, waived to make room on the roster for D-League rookie call-up Kevin Jones. Since being designated by the Cavs during training camp, the Mountaineer has been lighting it up for the Canton Charge (27 PPG, 13.7 RPG, 3rd in the league for both categories). With Luke Walton, Jon Leuer, and Samardo Samuels collectively disappointing, look for Jones to get thrown out there immediately if Thompson gets into any foul trouble.

The Hawks will need to rest Kyle Korver and let him work through those back spasms, so look for Devin Harris to return at starting shooting guard, and for the Anthonies (Morrow, a gametime decision with a minor quad bruise, and Tolliver) to share some of Kyle’s floor time. Cleveland’s foes are connecting on a league-leading 44% of long two-point jumpers (16-to-23 feet). But this shouldn’t be the area of Atlanta’s offensive focus tonight.

Not to get all Oleta Adams on people, but however the Hawks can get to the rim on offense, they need to find a way to get there because it’s beneficial. Cavs opponents have only taken 27% of their shots at the rim (29th lowest in the league), but they’re the only foes converting almost 75% of them, a rimshot success rate that would humble any heckler at the comedy club. An expanded and diversified presence down low from Zaza Pachulia, Ivan Johnson, Al Horford, and Josh Smith, plus some drives from Jeff and Lou, will have Cavs starters in foul trouble and give Atlanta an opportunity to boost their woeful free throw rate (last in free throws made per game, 28th in FT%).

Neither Varejao nor Thompson are threats for rejections, at just 0.4 blocks per game, and the Cavs are last in the league for blocks. They’re led in per-game blocks (0.5) and steals (1.7) by Alonzo Gee. He and the Cavs (7th in steals per game) will be diving and swiping at any attempts to get that ball under the hoop.

Lotto pick Dion Waiters has shown promise (17.6 PPG and 4.6 APG in the last 5 games) as Scott remains desperate for any kind of spark aside from Varejao. With the Cavs reliant on brother-of-a-former Hawk Jeremy Pargo and former Hawk Donald Sloan in Irving’s absence, Waiters has ably added backup point guard duty to his starting 2-guard role. But he’s struggled to find his shot lately, shooting just 30.2% in his last 8 games. He’s also known to be “cavalier” with his defensive assignments, losing focus on plays and straying from his man.

While Scott gets extra disgruntled when Waiters makes rookie mistakes, it’s not like he has much choice. “Don’t make me put Omri Casspi out there,” doesn’t send chills up anyone’s spine, but at least he’s making shots in limited action (45.0 FG%, 50.0 3FG%). Free agent C.J. Miles is shooting just 28.9% on the whole season. Pargo went off on the Sixers (28 points on 11-for-19 shooting) in the Cavs’ sole win last week but has shot just 29.7% in his last 3 games. Suffice to say, there should be plenty of caroms from Cav shots for the Hawks’ bigs to contend for against Varejao.

There probably won’t be any more favorable stretches in the schedule than what the Hawks have enjoyed thus far, and after tonight’s game, they’ve got 4 nights off before their televised home matchup with the Nuggets. Might as well keep the momentum going and hit the weekend in a positive mood.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

Correction: Kevin Jones is not yet with the Cavs team.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2012/11/kevin_jones_probably_not_joini.html

Although the Cavs have been struggling, Scott said that whenever Jones reports to Cleveland, it will be as a reserve and that it might be difficult finding minutes for him in games.

"Relax,'' Scott said to fans expecting Jones to have an immediate impact. "He has a bunch of guys ahead of him right now. He understands the situation. This is an opportunity for him to come up here and learn.''

These games have been frustrating because they Hawks can never put anyone away. In many of these wins it seemed like they should have won by more but they always seem to let the other team get back into it. I would say rather than the concept that they are currently overplaying, it's actually the opposite. I think they will get even better and will win by greater margins.

Very disappointing. A lot of people will claim it was our guards getting beat way too often down the stretch that got us beat but it was really getting out rebounded all game long to the tune of 49 to 28 which is sad. We are a small team that really can't stop anything on the interior.Sad that this loss will make us feel like nothing has changed. Can't really deal with prosperity.

• Moderators

The rebounding edge I put partially on the bigs that did play, but also on LD for one big that didn't (Ivan). Ivan needs more than YOLO minutes. Integral to our Squawker frustration with specific players is that other teammates that could help with our shortcomings sit for way too long, sometimes the whole game.

The Cavs really had this game won but for the fortunate threes (Ivan's buzzer beater, Josh's lucky shot, Lou's crunchtime shots). We shouldn't be relying on these from our offense to win games. We should be relying on being as comfortable and reliable with free throws on our home floor as our opponent.

This team will use all these pretty threes to paper over the flawed execution with free throws, shot selection, boxing out, etc.

~lw3

• Like 3

I fell asleep around 7 pm and didn't wake up til 11 pm. So I missed the entire game. So if anyone deserves blame for the loss, it was me. I'm sorry guys, I have failed you all.

I'm almost glad I missed it judging from what I hear in how the game went down...I woulda been so pissed! And after watching the NBA highlights, I became even more angry. The ending wasn't short on entertainment, big shots, and nonexistent defense, but it was long on disappointment.

In the grand scheme of things, it was merely a loss, and although I am not nearly as upset about it as I normally would be, maybe some good will come of it--maybe it will force Drew into realizing guys like Stevenson have to play less (despite his good game offensively), our backup bigs (Zaza and especially IVAN) have to play more, and our small lineup will routinely get us torched from a rebounding perspective.

Hopefully Korver gets well soon--his presence changes the dynamic of this team...plus it usually keeps one or both of Harris or Stevenson out of the starting lineup--which is an added benefit.

I'd harp on us not boxing out, but Smith has been here what 8 years now and still won't do it. Nothing will convince me that he, along with some others, are going to miraculously start doing it now.

Edited by TheTruth
  • Like 1

LD insists on sitting JT & plays Harris & Williams starting the forth quarter until we lose the lead. He has done this many times this season. I think Harris is on the downside of his carear.Almost every coach in the league plays their backups the final 3-4 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters and 3-5 minutes into the 2nd and 4th quarters, respectively. Teague or any of the other starters can't play the full game they gotta get some rest. And btw Teague and all of his turnovers in the 4th along with not being able to guard Jeremy freaking Pargo were a major reason we lost. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Most of these games are playing out roughly the same way.

The team was destroyed on the boards last night, and that is a problem sometimes... But what is more bothersome is the fact that night in and night out guards feel like they can take our guards to the hole or comfortably get off a shot. Getting leads are not a problem for this team... Most games, the Hawks get double figure leads. Often times more than once. The problem is that the team can't keep a double figure lead because as soon as they get a 10-15 lead, they'll give up a bushel of points in a very short time frame. When this team gets leads, they need to be able to get the ball down low to Josh and Al... But the team continues to fire jumpers. This is where a player like Gasol would be big... If we were younger of course. If we could build this leads and throw it into the post to a guy like Gasol the difference would be huge.

The combo of a good big man down low combined with great outside shooters has been a formula that has worked for years. It worked with Hakeem, it worked with Dwight the year the Magic got the finals, and it worked with Duncan and LA when they had Fisher, Fox and Horry. It's too bad that Al either can't be that player, or we're simply not giving him the chance to be that player. But his post game is predictable, and only good at smaller players.

Most likely, what we have seen the past few weeks is what we will get all season. I know I said that we would get destroyed when we run into a bunch of good teams. But the shooters combined with the athletic ability of Al and Josh and the depth will keep this team in most games. But it's going to get tougher to get wins against quality teams. There will be many narrow wins and some narrow L's against really bad teams, and some 5-10 losses to really good teams. I have to say that despite my complaining, it has been an interesting ride so far. It's much easier to admit that when the effects of the loss have worn off.