• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

92.9's Jason Goff is hilarious . . and exactly right

TheNorthCydeRises

Thank God for internet radio, so that I can listen to this station.

Jason Goff in talking about the Josh Smith trade is hilarious. Along with that, he's giving the exact perspective that needs to be given to this potential trade.

- People are approaching this emotionally, instead of as a business

His main point when he says this, is that we as Hawks fans shouldn't expect even close to an equal deal if he's traded. If that means taking back bums whose contracts expire, then so be it. To him, keeping Josh is akin to Chicago holding onto Ben Gordon about 2 years too long, or Golden State holding onto Monta Ellis.

In both situations, the fans and the organization had to "ween themselves" off of the good things those 2 players did, because they did the MAXIMUM that they could do here. And in both instances, the team had a player who maybe needed for that guy to go, so they could blossom ( Derrick Rose and Stephen Curry ).

In the Hawks case, that guy may be Al Horford and especially Jeff Teague, whose touches are reduced everytime Josh tries to play PG after he gets an offensive rebound.

- Style over substance isn't working, or can't get us to the next level

And he specifically talked about how we call Philips Arena the "Highlight Factory", and how that basically hasn't gotten us anything. He even mentioned how we're getting less than 15,000 a game. That means that our new "style of play" nor Josh Smith is enough to bring out the fans. He even called it a bad financial model to keep this mindset, if the fans aren't coming out anyway.

He's basically under the notion of how Wretch thinks. No one is untouchable. Blow it up if you have to. Then go ALL OUT to get a superstar. If they turn you down in 2013, try again in 2014 while also developing your young players for the future.

My take on a Josh deal has always been that Al Horford and Jeff Teague will elevate their games. But the biggest beneficiaries of the trade may be Zaza ( who will almost have to start now ) and Ivan Johnson ( unless we trade for someone who is better than Ivan ).

Josh's points can easily be replaced. With the right player, Josh's rebounds can be replaced. Josh's overall impact on defense probably won't be replaced ( unless we do that deal with Milwaukee to bring in Larry Sanders or even a Samuel Dalembert . . who was balling for at least a week ).

If we didn't have Al Horford, we'd be stupid to make this move. But because we DO have Al Horford, the impact of Josh leaving won't nearly be as catastrophic as people think.

It may even make us better, because if we can reproduce the production he gave us . . and eliminate 50% of the mistakes he would make, by other people having the ball . . trading him would be a win-win for the Hawks, even if we didn't get anythying of use in return.

LOL @ Goff acting like whining Hawk fans when he said. . . "Oh no, they traded Josh Smith for Bun B ( of the rap group UGK )" . . . . meaning that they traded Josh for nobody.

• Like 2

While I don't disagree with everything you're (or he is) saying, I must say that the idea of taking two bums on expiring contracts in return is a tad stupid. Josh is an expiring contract, so there's no need to trade him to free up cap room this summer. And there's certainly no reason to do it at the expense of our current season.

• Like 1

• Moderators

While I don't disagree with everything you're (or he is) saying, I must say that the idea of taking two bums on expiring contracts in return is a tad stupid.

Agreed. It is expiring contracts plus some young asset(s) that is a minimum for the deal. You already have an expiring with the potential to recruit Dwight or to be dealt in a S&T over the summer.

• Premium Member

Man...I am tired of being just another team in the playoffs. I'm tired of this mentality like...we don't even belong in the discussions about the elite talent. Like...we need to just be happy to have a good team every year because the best players are too few and they only play for Los Angeles and New York. A championship goal is a pipe dream and unrealistic. We should just enjoy the show. Just build an "ok" team and we'll be "ok." Play it safe. Keep the status quo and hope for the best.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...............nauseating.

We have to do what it takes to get in the hunt and get out of mediocrity. Don't sell me on moral victories and playoff appearances and regular season records...I want to make Heat fans cry and send LeBron James HOME. I don't want a decent team in a WEAK conference, only to be smacked in the 2nd round of the playoffs...and face a STRONG conference a year later.

• Like 1

My take on a Josh deal has always been that Al Horford and Jeff Teague will elevate their games. But the biggest beneficiaries of the trade may be Zaza ( who will almost have to start now ) and Ivan Johnson ( unless we trade for someone who is better than Ivan ).

If we didn't have Al Horford, we'd be stupid to make this move. But because we DO have Al Horford, the impact of Josh leaving won't nearly be as catastrophic as people think.

-----------------------------------------------

Once Smoove leaves and Horford plays at PF, the fact that his game won't change significantly will hit hard on many people.

I like Horford, I really do. But he is not a superstar. He has not been one and he won`t be one. It doesn't matter whether he plays Center, PF or punter.

Center position is becoming irrelevant in the league and he already plays like a PF even though he is listed as a Center. Do you guys remember the 2011 Orlando series where he played PF (due to Zaza and Collins)? He averaged 12 pts and 10 reb against Brandon Bass.

I hope I am wrong and Horford flourishes but unfortunately I think it is unlikely.

Jason Goff in talking about the Josh Smith trade is hilarious. Along with that, he's giving the exact perspective that needs to be given to this potential trade.

- People are approaching this emotionally, instead of as a business

Of course I'm approaching this emotionally - and I think that's a reasonable and appropriate reaction. As a fan, I'm invested in and passionate (good and bad) about the team, and certain players. Maybe it is time to move on, but the last thing I want to do is start looking at things as a business.

Also, I think you're underestimating the overall (positive) impact Josh has on the game - that skillset and talent is not easily replaced, even with Teague and Al stepping up. We'll find out soon enough.

• Like 1