• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Heard Magic and Wilbon Ragging on Metrics.

Diesel

It has nothing to do with them knowing the stats or not, although I guarantee you they look at the raw stats that show Dwihht had a down year for himself while Gasol did not. What they ignore is that Dwight's down year was still better than Gasols, but the perception of their years last year vs their careers and that perception holds true whether you use raw stats, advanced stats or the eyeball test.

This an issue that I'm having now, that they all just universally ignored that Dwight had a "superior" year by raw stats in a few categories and punished him across 3 different awards because he just wasn't up to his usual elite level. You can argue voter lethargy on the DPOY as that happens, look no further than Rose's MVP selection over Lebron, but to also be 3rd team on the All NBA and not make the All Defense team?Perhaps, and this is just a shot in the dark here, perhaps they just thought of Gasol's all around game to be superior that year and credited it for anchoring and impacting a better seed and far superior defensive squad? Because, well, my apologies to Monta Ellis, but don't stats matter more when they leads to wins? Maybe just more than the numbers being down, they just didn't see the impact of his greater points and rebounds?

This an issue that I'm having now, that they all just universally ignored that Dwight had a "superior" year by raw stats in a few categories and punished him across 3 different awards because he just wasn't up to his usual elite level. You can argue voter lethargy on the DPOY as that happens, look no further than Rose's MVP selection over Lebron, but to also be 3rd team on the All NBA and not make the All Defense team?Perhaps, and this is just a shot in the dark here, perhaps they just thought of Gasol's all around game to be superior that year and credited it for anchoring and impacting a better seed and far superior defensive squad? Because, well, my apologies to Monta Ellis, but don't stats matter more when they leads to wins? Maybe just more than the numbers being down, they just didn't see the impact of his greater points and rebounds?

I'm sure that Memphis' success vs the lack of by the Lakers certainly played a role. But at the end of the day the bottom line, for me, is that even with his poor season relative to his norm, Dwight was still the best C in the league last year on both ends of the court. But the Dwightmare, feud with Kobe, Lakers replacing their coach, and then barely squeaking into the playoffs all played a part in the perception that Dwight had a bad year.
  • Like 1

I'll make it simpler for YOU1) the stat was not developed and no one set out to use it to determine a player's "worth". It was simply a measurement of the previous season's production and rankings, period. You are inventing an argument that has nothing to do with the stat but rather your interpretation of what it means.

I agree that advanced stats are attempting to do just that but they fail miserably IMO when they rank Dwight Howard, not just outside the top five, but outside the top twenty this season. Yet have Marc Gasol ranked in the top ten

In other words Mace if the data is that far off from the eye test ( Mike Conley, George Hill better than D12 last year REALLY! ) and basic stat test for bigs ( PPPG, RPG, FG% and BLKS ) on what bigs are measured by when it comes to all star games and HOF ballots, then you have to throw the data out.

No one has to agree with me but Mike Conley, George Hill, and Marc Gasol did not have better seasons than Dwight Howard. They just had better seasons by their own average to above average standards

Edited by Buzzard