• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

33-40 Million dollars.

Diesel

We can go over the cap if we didn't renounce Teague. If we accounted for his 4.5M cap hold and still had the room to sign Dwight and Josh, then we could sign Teague for a larger amount that took us over the cap if we wanted.

Yeap! We own his rights and can pay him a max if we want to!

I really don't want Smith....we will not be successful with that frontline

I understand what you are saying. Bud would probably have to convince Josh a 6th man role like Manu's is in everyone's best interest. Manu got paid very well to be a 6th man btw.

Josh was the Hawks MVP last season and you folks call him crap. We were competitive for the 4th seed with him, without him we were in the lottery. Josh is in LA. I hope Ferry is smart enough to bring Josh, Jeff, Lou and Al to the meeting.

PS. I hope Dwight and Josh don't read Hawksquawk cause your hate speaks loud.

I understand what you are saying. Bud would probably have to convince Josh a 6th man role like Manu's is in everyone's best interest. Manu got paid very well to be a 6th man btw.

Now that is ridiculous.

Buzzard, on 01 Jul 2013 - 1:01 PM, said:

Now that is ridiculous.

Its ridiculous to keep holding on to the pipe dream Josh is a good starting SF. That is what you are pointing to, unless you would rather use Horford off the bench which I think is ridiculous.

Its ridiculous to keep holding on to the pipe dream Josh is a good starting SF. That is what you are pointing to, unless you would rather use Horford off the bench which I think is ridiculous.

How is Smith NOT a good starting SF? 17.5 pts, 8.5 rebs, and 4.5 apg to go along with 1.5 spg and 1.8 bpg...how is that not starting SF numbers? All the while, playing pretty good man defense at the position. BBIQ (dumb shots) aside, he is a HELLUVA player. That is why the market is pursuing him. Hated and Unappreciated.

This guy on ESPN says the Hawks only have 28.5 under the cap. They do not give us a chance to do the deal.

If that is true it is tight. I think the ESPN rep is using Josh's cap hold though. That is the key. Sign Josh first and that lowers our cap so long as he is willing to take 10 to 12 starting. Josh's cap hold is in the 14 or 15 million range.

How is Smith NOT a good starting SF? 17.5 pts, 8.5 rebs, and 4.5 apg to go along with 1.5 spg and 1.8 bpg...how is that not starting SF numbers? All the while, playing pretty good man defense at the position. BBIQ (dumb shots) aside, he is a HELLUVA player. That is why the market is pursuing him. Hated and Unappreciated.

Not hated but understood. You are all dreamy eyed. Why is it hate to want Josh to play a similar role as Manu? Most NBA players dream of a role like that on a championship caliber team!

Manu is ( was ) a difference maker, Josh is a difference maker. WTF is wrong with seeing him like that?

Yes and we can go over the cap to resign Teague and / or Smoove.

Dwight starting max salry is expected to be around $17 mill

Josh at $10 to $12 mill.

Teague at $6 to $8 mill.

Even if you sign them on the high end there is enough room. Smith will have to be the 1st domino to fall due to his large cap hold. We would have to sign Smith 1st with the guarantee from Dwight that he would follow suit with agreeing to a max deal.

No we can't. Any F/A signings that involve another team's free agents require they home team free agents be calculated first. IF Dwight is signed first we must deal with the cap holds for Josh/Teague...If Teague/Josh are signed first the normal rules apply when signing Dwight.

The "you can go over to sign your own players" only applies when they are the only ones you are working with.

If that is true it is tight. I think the ESPN rep is using Josh's cap hold though. That is the key. Sign Josh first and that lowers our cap so long as he is willing to take 10 to 12 starting. Josh's cap hold is in the 14 or 15 million range.

Josh's cap hold currently is $16,402,500

http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/hawks.jsp

But only if his cap hold doesn't put us over the cap. If so, we could only offer enough salary to Dwight and players either filling out roster to 12 or empty roster spaces at about $500,000 each up to the cap. If Teague's cap hold is the QO of $4 million'ish, then he'll almost certainly get more than that, but that cap hold gives you greater flexibility.

Correct.

I assumed that was common knowledge.

Not to mention the best defender on the team.

Before you call my post wrong, let me get Mace or HF in here to varilfy this. I read the CBA from head to toe, I am almost certain (99.9%) with can't go over the 58.5 threshold to resign Jeff if we signed Smoove and Dwight already.

We cannot go over the 58.5 threshold to resign Howard or a free agent we don't hold rights to.

Of course capholds have to be accounted for but Teague's cap hold is minimal.

We cannot go over the 58.5 threshold to resign Howard or a free agent we don't hold rights to.

Of course capholds have to be accounted for but Teague's cap hold is minimal.

Yeap again! Signing Josh first could help our cap; but waiting to sign Teague is the best way to go. That is why GMs love rookie contracts on their starters.

Rookie contracts are the best deal in the NBA.

Not hated but understood. You are all dreamy eyed. Why is it hate to want Josh to play a similar role as Manu? Most NBA players dream of a role like that on a championship caliber team!

Manu is ( was ) a difference maker, Josh is a difference maker. WTF is wrong with seeing him like that?

I'm not dreamy eyed at all. I wouldn't mind Josh being a 6th man. Hell, if Josh is the 6th man, we probably have a d@mn good starter at SF. I was just responding to your acknowledgement that Josh isn't a starting SF. He is not only a starting SF, but STILL with his shooting woes, a borderline All-Star starting SF. But he won't get in at SF because he has LBJ and Melo. But he did put up GREAT starting SF numbers without the great Joe Johnson.

That is all I'm saying.

• Like 1

No we can't. Any F/A signings that involve another team's free agents require they home team free agents be calculated first. IF Dwight is signed first we must deal with the cap holds for Josh/Teague...If Teague/Josh are signed first the normal rules apply when signing Dwight.

The "you can go over to sign your own players" only applies when they are the only ones you are working with.

Of course we have to count our own free agents 1st. I thought it was obvious that I understood that. As I said before.....Smith would have to be signed 1st since his cap hold is so large.

After we sign Howard and Josh, add for empty roster spot cap holds, add in current players, and then add in Teague's $4.5 mill qualifying offer.........if we are then $1 under the cap......we can then go over it as much as want to retain JEff Teague.

My whole point was on Leadership saying it would be tight to fit Teague in under the salary cap. Well, of course his cap hold has to fit under the cap...........but his actual contract can go over the cap. That was the point of post.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

Correct. I assumed that was common knowledge.
Never assume anything on this board is common knowledge. Half the posters here still don't understand why we didn't sign and trade josh for a lottery pick in last week's draft. Lol

Of course we have to count our own free agents 1st. I thought it was obvious that I understood that. As I said before.....Smith would have to be signed 1st since his cap hold is so large.

After we sign Howard and Josh, add for empty roster spot cap holds, add in current players, and then add in Teague's $4.5 mill qualifying offer.........if we are then $1 under the cap......we can then go over it as much as want to retain JEff Teague.

My whole point was on Leadership saying it would be tight to fit Teague in under the salary cap. Well, of course his cap hold has to fit under the cap...........but his actual contract can go over the cap. That was the point of post.

We need to get resident capologists Hawksfanatic, Mace, or AHF on this...

Korver is gone unfortunately. And to be honest I don't blame him. But can someone plz explain Ivan's situation given that we did not extend him a qualifying offer? Can anyone sign him now? Can we not match?