• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

33-40 Million dollars.

Diesel

• Moderators

Of course we have to count our own free agents 1st. I thought it was obvious that I understood that. As I said before.....Smith would have to be signed 1st since his cap hold is so large.

After we sign Howard and Josh, add for empty roster spot cap holds, add in current players, and then add in Teague's $4.5 mill qualifying offer.........if we are then $1 under the cap......we can then go over it as much as want to retain JEff Teague.

My whole point was on Leadership saying it would be tight to fit Teague in under the salary cap. Well, of course his cap hold has to fit under the cap...........but his actual contract can go over the cap. That was the point of post.

coachx is right on this. If you were going to do a scenario where you sign Josh, Dwight and Teague, you could account for Teague's 4.5M cap hold; then sign Josh for something substantially less than his cap hold (freeing up the difference); then sign Dwight for a high salary; then you could sign Teague to any deal you wanted regardless of whether that would take you over the cap.

What you can't do is renounce Teague's cap hold to create cap space and then sign him for an amount over the cap (at least not without using an exception none of which look to apply to his likely salary range).

Korver is gone unfortunately. And to be honest I don't blame him. But can someone plz explain Ivan's situation given that we did not extend him a qualifying offer? Can anyone sign him now? Can we not match?

He is an unrestricted free agent. We didn't extend him a qualifying offer which frees up his cap space. He can sign with anyone and we have no right to match. We can also sign him.

• Like 1

• Admin

He lost as many or more games for us then he 'won' for us with his stupid plays and horrible jump shots. I don't know how many times the game is on the line or we are on a run to come back and he starts chucking up bricks.

Both Atlanta and Josh need to separate. He will do well with another team in the right role. He has become to complacent here and stuck in his ways.

He is an unrestricted free agent. We didn't extend him a qualifying offer which frees up his cap space. He can sign with anyone and we have no right to match. We can also sign him.

Didn't realize you could extend a QO to an unrestricted FA. Thought Ivan was RFA. Thx for clearing that up for me.

• Moderators

Didn't realize you could extend a QO to an unrestricted FA. Thought Ivan was RFA. Thx for clearing that up for me.

He is an unrestricted free agent precisely because we aren't extending the qualifying offer. He would have been a restricted free agent if we were extending the qualifying offer.

He is an unrestricted free agent precisely because we aren't extending the qualifying offer. He would have been a restricted free agent if we were extending the qualifying offer.

Oh gotcha. Thx.

He lost as many or more games for us then he 'won' for us with his stupid plays and horrible jump shots. I don't know how many times the game is on the line or we are on a run to come back and he starts chucking up bricks.

Both Atlanta and Josh need to separate. He will do well with another team in the right role. He has become to complacent here and stuck in his ways.

I'd like to disagree on this one. We were 44-38 and were not expected to even make the playoffs (which ultimately means we fall below .500 wit hthe 8th seed at 38-44) without Joe Johnson and Marvin. The question arose if Josh and Al could step up in Joe's absence and more focus of the defense on them. Well, they answered the question. Also, if Josh does not put up those numbers, we are making the playoffs.

Every player has their flaws. Josh flaw is BBIQ/shot selection. Even still, I take him any day. Dwight can't make free throws and everyone that can is pulling all stops. More Josh please!!

By the way, I looked up Teague's caphold and sham is reporting it at just over $6 million, not the $4.5 million QO. Anyone with solid understanding care to weigh in on which one is correct?

By the way, I looked up Teague's caphold and sham is reporting it at just over $6 million, not the $4.5 million QO. Anyone with solid understanding care to weigh in on which one is correct?

very good question - why is the cap hold more than his QO and what sets the cap hold?

very good question - why is the cap hold more than his QO and what sets the cap hold?

Because his QO is like 125% of his previous salary which the cap hold is like 150% of something like that. Everyone cap hold is bigger than their QO if they have one

Because his QO is like 125% of his previous salary which the cap hold is like 150% of something like that. Everyone cap hold is bigger than their QO if they have one

I only brought it up because someone said earlier that his caphold was $4.5 million, which was the QO. I thought that was low so I looked it up. I think his caphold is fair value for him, but some team may offer even more than that.

• Premium Member

I only brought it up because someone said earlier that his caphold was $4.5 million, which was the QO. I thought that was low so I looked it up. I think his caphold is fair value for him, but some team may offer even more than that.

Does his caphold go away if he signs the QO? Then we get to match the best offer?

Does his caphold go away if he signs the QO? Then we get to match the best offer?

i think if he signed the QO, we'd sign him for just $4.5 million and subsequently the caphold goes away since it's replaced with firm salary. The only way Jeff signs that one year deal for $4.5 million is if the Hawks and him secretly have a hand-shake agreement they'll extend him on a more than fair deal next offseason. I think if that were the plan, they wouldn't have drafted Schröder.

• Like 1

If he signed the QO, it would be for the 4.5 million contract. I don't think he has any plans of playing for that.

Now if Jeff accepts a offer from another team, we are in a bind. We have to match or let him walk. So long as he does not accept a offer, only his cap hold counts against us.

• Premium Member

i think if he signed the QO, we'd sign him for just $4.5 million and subsequently the caphold goes away since it's replaced with firm salary. The only way Jeff signs that one year deal for $4.5 million is if the Hawks and him secretly have a hand-shake agreement they'll extend him on a more than fair deal next offseason. I think if that were the plan, they wouldn't have drafted Schröder.

Actually, I don't think Schröder is starting material for the next 2 maybe 3 years. Not really. A bunch of us got really excited when hearing that he is in the mold of Rondo. Thats code for he passes and doesn't shoot very well. The thing is that you have to guage the level of competition that these Euro players face. most of them come over and never live up to the hype. To me, these guys are just Cash stashes that we can call on later not players that have a definite space on our squad.

Actually, I don't think Schröder is starting material for the next 2 maybe 3 years. Not really. A bunch of us got really excited when hearing that he is in the mold of Rondo. Thats code for he passes and doesn't shoot very well. The thing is that you have to guage the level of competition that these Euro players face. most of them come over and never live up to the hype. To me, these guys are just Cash stashes that we can call on later not players that have a definite space on our squad.

The talk was that Schröder was Rondo WITH a jump shot.

He is only 19. Maybe if forced, he could start; but his turnovers will probably make you just as crazy as Smoove's threes.

• Like 1

I don't think he's a starter yet. I question whether or not he will even contribute as a backup this season. I'm talking long-term. The comparisons were due to his body size. He runs a team better and gets his teamates involved like Rondo and has elite defender potential like Rondo. He does have a decent jump shot now though. That's the differences.

I don't think he's a starter yet. I question whether or not he will even contribute as a backup this season. I'm talking long-term. The comparisons were due to his body size. He runs a team better and gets his teamates involved like Rondo and has elite defender potential like Rondo. He does have a decent jump shot now though. That's the differences.

I don't think he is ready to start either, just responding to Diesel that he is Rondo - passes but don't shoot well.

• Moderators

Sham and hawksfanatic are right - it is basically $6M. I should have checked before relying on someone else's number. The way the cap hold and ability to go over the cap function as mentioned above, though.