• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So far so good with Danny

Buzzard

We did not get D12 but I like what Ferry is doing after the backlash of Dwight Drama 2. I have faith we will make one more big move at least. You guys have no idea how signing Millsap has instilled my confidence in what our finished product will look like.

Millsap was not on my radar for two reasons. 1st, I thought like most here Al would be sliding to the four spot. 2nd , which is related to #1, I thought Millsap was the most versatile PF on the market and would command a bigger deal than what we gave him.

People want to complain and say we are staying with small ball. We are not smaller than last season. We just got a true power forward and not a tweener at a very important position. Even Detroit, who signed Josh, envisions him a their starting small forward along side Drummond and Monroe. All I can say is good luck with that Joe!

What happens next is up in the air, but chances are good we will not be a undersized poor shooting team like we have been for so many years. Horford is not small. Some of you just make me shake my head when you say he is small but you all cry because we did not sign Hickson, of all people, to play center for us.

Horford and Millsap is a very good rebounding front line and they both have enough bulk not to get bullied. Its time to see what happens with Teague and our other roster spots. But I for one am loving are starting front line a whole lot better than ZaZa, Horf or Horf, Josh!

Edited by Buzzard

We have two huge holes that need to be filled still. Point and a small forward. I don't dislike the acquisitions, but we are losing a lot and not adequately replacing them in my mind.

• Like 1

We have two huge holes that need to be filled still. Point and a small forward. I don't dislike the acquisitions, but we are losing a lot and not adequately replacing them in my mind.

We do have holes and I am pasting this here because it is what I think we are trying to do.

My view point is simple. You build around a front line that can rebound and score with the best of them. I have always thought a team that built a front line that could score and rebound with the best of them could off set a team with the great player. That is what I think we should strive for. Build a front line, add a good to great PG, and fill in the blanks with defensive and offensive role players.

This is what I think Memphis ( Gasol, Zbo ), Spurs ( Duncan and whoever ), Indy ( Hibbert and West), and now the Clipps ( Blake, Jordan) , GSW ( Lee, Bogut ), and Kings ( Cousins, Patterson, Thompson, Landry ) are striving for.

I don't see a quick fix without Howard. He is one of those 1% type players. But I do see a potentially great front line starting with Horford and Millsap. We are not done yet but I like our front line building blocks. I do think Ferry's plan is to eventually add another good center/pf to our rotation if one of our rooks is not already that player.

Only time will tell if Ferry can get it done, but I don't think his plan B was a 12 month turn around to champ without plan A Howard in tow.

• Premium Member

With a front line of Horford and Millsap, you cannot start Korver at small forward...That was our problem with rebounding last year. If you plan on starting a smallish front court, it is a must for your small forward as well as your guards to help rebound. But DF continues to pick up small guards for some reason. I thought that it was LD's fetish to play small guard but apparently it is DF fetish. I just don't want to get destroyed on the boards night after night like last season in the name of having more "shooters" on the floor.

• Moderators

With a front line of Horford and Millsap, you cannot start Korver at small forward...That was our problem with rebounding last year. If you plan on starting a smallish front court, it is a must for your small forward as well as your guards to help rebound. But DF continues to pick up small guards for some reason. I thought that it was LD's fetish to play small guard but apparently it is DF fetish. I just don't want to get destroyed on the boards night after night like last season in the name of having more "shooters" on the floor.

Isn't Milsap a better rebounder than Josh though? I see your point but thinking about last year and who we are really losing it just comes down to losing Josh but Milsap is a step in the right direction. We get a lot of what Josh does without the horrible shooting.

I look at the Korver signing and think man why did this guy stay with Atlanta. I'm sure he had offers (granted shorter offers) with teams contending now. Why is Milsap taking a two year deal? I think these guys see that they will at least be on a team with other real professionals who take their job seriously.

• Premium Member

Isn't Milsap a better rebounder than Josh though?

There is not a huge difference in their rebounding numbers...But at some point we have to rid ourselves of this big man phobia. Other teams give their right arm to get mediocre big men whereas we are indifferent. This off season we were shooting for the best available in Howard and once didn't get him we lost interest and reverted back to our usual nature which is trying to find as many small guard for our roster as possible and start them at Small forward. Posted Image

I agree we still need work and a lot of it is in rebounding. Millsap and Josh are close when it comes to rebounding. Paul has a slight edge in TR % and the real difference is in offensive boards. Which makes sense since Millsap plays offense more like a PF than a SF.

The other thing of note was Millsap played five minutes less per game than Josh. Paul hits the boards better than his 30 mpg average reflects.

• Premium Member

Yes, Milsap is a better rebounder.

Yeah but its not going to make up for those numerous nights where we got out rebounded by 15 or more. That is why I was surprised by the Korver signing and equally shock by the interest in Monte Ellis. These players do not address our primary issue last year which was offensive rebounding. And the one guy that was any good at it was allowed to walk even though he practically begged to stay here! I just hope at some point this franchise starts to value rebound again because its very difficult to win consistently without it.

• Like 1

Yeah but its not going to make up for those numerous nights where we got out rebounded by 15 or more. That is why I was surprised by the Korver signing and equally shock by the interest in Monte Ellis. These players do not address our primary issue last year which was offensive rebounding. And the one guy that was any good at it was allowed to walk even though he practically begged to stay here! I just hope at some point this franchise starts to value rebound again because its very difficult to win consistently without it.

I think Ferry values rebounding tremendously. When was the last time we drafted a center in both the 1st and 2nd rounds of any draft?

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I think Ferry values rebounding tremendously. When was the last time we drafted a center in both the 1st and 2nd rounds of any draft?

We'll see but based on how he has spent his money the last 2 off seasons, you have to at the very least question his commitment to rebounding. I mean how many 6'2" guards or smaller do you need on any given team?

We'll see but based on how he has spent his money the last 2 off seasons, you have to at the very least question his commitment to rebounding. I mean how many 6'2" guards or smaller do you need on any given team?

I totally agree man and would like nothing more than to get a good rebounding SG or SF. I just don't see that many out there. He spent 9 million on a decent rebounding PF and two picks on Centers. Just going to have to see what else shakes lose.

These players do not address our primary issue last year which was offensive rebounding. And the one guy that was any good at it was allowed to walk even though he practically begged to stay here! I just hope at some point this franchise starts to value rebound again because its very difficult to win consistently without it.

Millsap is a much better offensive rebounder than Josh. Unlike Josh who plays outside in half court sets, Millsap plays closer to or inside the paint and crashes the boards.

• Premium Member

I totally agree man and would like nothing more than to get a good rebounding SG or SF. I just don't see that many out there.

1) Tyreke Evans

2) Andre Iguodala

3) Tony Allen

4) JR Smith

5) Matt Barnes

6) Andre Kirilenko

7)) O.J. Mayo

I know that the 1st two were a little expensive but the rest of the list was not. In fact, I think that Memphis paid a lot less for Tony Allen than we did for Korver. JR Smith was cheaper too!

1) Tyreke Evans

2) Andre Iguodala

3) Tony Allen

4) JR Smith

5) Matt Barnes

6) Andre Kirilenko

7)) O.J. Mayo

I know that the 1st two were a little expensive but the rest of the list was not. In fact, I think that Memphis paid a lot less for Tony Allen than we did for Korver. JR Smith was cheaper too!

I don't care for JR or OJ, AK is still out there but big injury risk and he wants to get paid some. He opted out of 10 million this season.. Barnes and Tony Allen are serviceable. Like I said this is not a great list. Outside of Iggy and Tyreke, the value impact free agents this season was in the bigs.

Just going to have to wait and see. Kind of hard to build a team on free agents alone in one season.

• Premium Member

Just going to have to wait and see. Kind of hard to build a team on free agents alone in one season.

This is true but to continue to stock pile all of these small guards is annoying as h-ll. Lou Williams, Jenkins, Cunningham, Schröder, Monte Ellis, Jennings/Teague while waving good bye to Ivan Johnson and Zaza..while not even making a play for Dalembert, Andre Blatche, or Chris Kaman

THe problem I have is that we are spending available cap on mid tier players when we should be in rebuilding mode.

So we should spend the same amount of money on bottom tier players? Because there is a minimum cap and top tier players aren't coming here right now.

• Premium Member

THe problem I have is that we are spending available cap on mid tier players when we should be in rebuilding mode.

We can't just loose assets without replacing them so I agree with getting something for Teague and not just letting him walk. We essentially replaced Josh Smith with Millsap. Would have been nice to flip Josh Smith into Asik which would have represented rebuilding through trade, Draft and free agency. Rebuilding doesn't necessarily mean rebuilding from scratch

Edited by Peoriabird