• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA offseason grades

Mutombolievable

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9501245/nba-offseason-moves-assessing-winners-tankers-everything-between

I like the Teague vs. Calderon contract comparison. I also like how we have yet another person that doesn't understand how we got Millsap so cheap.

Atlanta Hawks

On the surface, the Hawks and Mavericks appear to have had similar offseasons. Both inked several secondary players to contracts of varying lengths after striking out with the big-name free agents, all while maintaining major flexibility for next summer and beyond. The difference: Atlanta signed good players (mostly) on the right side of the aging curve at great prices. Jeff Teague will make only about $1 million more per season on average than Jose Calderon over their respective four-year deals; Calderon is almost 32 and it's been years since he was able to guard anyone or get into the lane. Teague just turned 25 and still has some upside. Kyle Korver might be "too old" for a four-year deal at 32, but the value of his contract declines each season, and he brings the one skill — shooting — that ages better than any other. And I have no idea how Danny Ferry brainwashed Paul Millsap into accepting a two-year, $19 million deal.

These are all tradable pieces (as is Lou Williams's deal), and the Hawks remain one midsize salary dump from entering the next offseason with max-level cap room — again. They should remain competitive in the meantime, though they'll miss Josh Smith's ability to create shots on offense and protect the rim on defense.2

Dennis Schröder, the point guard Atlanta drafted at no. 17, also looks like a quality rotation piece, but almost any summer league extrapolations belong in footnote form

• Like 1

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9501245/nba-offseason-moves-assessing-winners-tankers-everything-between

I like the Teague vs. Calderon contract comparison. I also like how we have yet another person that doesn't understand how we got Millsap so cheap.

Nice!

I too like how everyone is confused about the Millsap deal...too funny!!! Everyone is like ...a 2 year deal?

I also like the fact that Korver's contract is constructed in a way where it gets lower each year:

2013-2014 6,760,563

2014-2015 6,253,521

2015-2016 5,746,479

2016-2017 5,239,437

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Nice!

I too like how everyone is confused about the Millsap deal...too funny!!! Everyone is like ...a 2 year deal?

I also like the fact that Korver's contract is constructed in a way where it gets lower each year:

2013-2014 6,760,563

2014-2015 6,253,521

2015-2016 5,746,479

2016-2017 5,239,437

As one commentator said you almost can't give out a bad 2 year deal in the nba. I'm still thinking there is something behind the scenes on that deal. Horford and Milsap are pretty similar. Maybe Milsap has a place he wants to be and this is part of getting him there and getting the Hawks the player we really want by trade. Either way I"ve always like Milsap and i'm glad he's here.

I am not interested in too much complaining but even though I know Bynum is risky I would have rather had him on a 2 year deal than Milsap. We have already experienced smallish frontlines. I just thought we should try something new. I am one of those whom life has shown that you are either getting better or worse

• Premium Member

There is a reason Dallas and Atlanta didn't take that risk on Bynum. Guy has severe motivational and physical question marks. I'm glad the Hawks didn't take that huge risk and invested money smarter in proven guys.Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2