• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hangin with Mr. Cooper

Dnice

• Moderators

Cool! And bravo with the title! lol

My busted internet router kept me totally out of the loop with Coop!

http://www.wnba.com/dream/news/michaelcooperheadcoach112113.html?cid=wnba_12_facebook_L

Second-winningest (percentage-wise) head coach in WNBA history, and last coach to win back-to-back titles is a good start. I wasn't wild about the back end of his years with the Sparks, but he is good in dealing with egotistical stars (Lisa Leslie), something that will come in handy with You Know Who. He'll also be a good bridge for older NBA fans in Atlanta, as the Dream seeks to expand their small fanbase.

Last time he was on a pro basketball sideline, I believe, was when he was the mid-season transition guy for the Nuggets before George Karl took over.

Certainly not enough to get this team over the WNBA championship hump, but definitely enough to keep the Dream defensively entertaining. I look forward to seeing him work with a healthy Sancho Lyttle.

Interestingly, he was not given the dual role of GM. Let's see who they give the personnel-moving role too. First time we'll have a separate GM and coach if I recall correctly. Hopefully they'll have one in place before the new CBA gets hammered out.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Haven't seen any GM news, but I'm quite certain hawksfanatić will be pleased with the assistant tabbed to work alongside Coop on the Dream bench. ACC!

http://www.wnba.com/dream/news/thompsonassistantcoach121613.html

ATLANTA, Dec. 17, 2013 – The WNBA Atlanta Dream announced today that Karleen Thompson has been named an assistant coach on new Dream head coach Michael Cooper’s staff. Thompson previously served as an assistant under Cooper with the Los Angeles Sparks from 2002-04...

“It will be a pleasure to work with Karleen again,” said Cooper. “She knows the ins and outs of the WNBA and her knowledge of the league will be a big asset. In addition, her player development skills are some of the best in the profession and put her in the top level of coaches in the game.”

"I am very excited to be a part of the Atlanta Dream organization,” said Thompson. “I am looking forward to working with Coach Cooper again and can't wait to get to work on bringing a WNBA Championship to the city of Atlanta."

Thompson comes to the Dream after most recently serving as Assistant Coach and Defensive Coordinator at Clemson University for three seasons from 2010-13. Prior to that she spent 12 years in the WNBA, including serving as the head coach and general manager of the Houston Comets from two seasons from 2007-08, posting a record of 30-38. She was promoted to that position after serving as an assistant coach with the Comets the two prior seasons.

Sound move! Karleen remains very close with Tina Thompson (no relation, but also a USC basketball alum... the good USC... just kidding! Don't hurt me, Jadeveon...) Now that she's retired, I wouldn't mind Tina on the staff here as well if that's something she'd be into.

Also, I heard Coop was on the Hawks Live pregame show with Jerome yesterday! Makes sense, because Lakers.

~lw3