• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Millsap extension?

Ruckus

When could we begin negotiations with him? Something tells me that we don't want to wait til the end of his current contract. Either the plan is to trade him as an expiring or extend him. I really want to extend him.

• Premium Member

I've been a fan of Sap even when he was in Utah, but I'm not sure it makes sense extending him right now. Let's wait till next year where we have a better idea about what the teams' roster will look like moving forward. Sure would love to keep Sap here for longer, but we just signed the guy and it's not like he is doing anything he hasn't done before in Utah (well, except hitting those threes). I'm not sure what would have changed from FA to right now to have Ferry change his mind on his approach to Sap and his contract.

• Premium Member

Why would he extend? He might get better money from somebody else.

And what if we end up with the fifth pick and Julius Randle is the BPA? Our three best players would be PF, and they would all be signed long term. This roster is in flux, and keeping flexibility is more important than locking up Sap, as good as he has played (he's always been this good btw)

Millsap cannot be extended because his deal is for fewer than 4 years in length. He has a 2-year deal, so he cannot get his current contract extended.

Now once Millsap's contract expires after next season, the Hawks will have Early Bird rights on him. We could resign him for up to

$16.625m (= $9.5m*1.75; where $9.5m would be his last salary) but are limited to only giving him 7.5% raises and up to 4 years on his contract.

Millsap cannot be extended because his deal is for fewer than 4 years in length. He has a 2-year deal, so he cannot get his current contract extended. Now once Millsap's contract expires after next season, the Hawks will have Early Bird rights on him. We could resign him for up to$16.625m (= $9.5m*1.75; where $9.5m would be his last salary) but are limited to only giving him 7.5% raises and up to 4 years on his contract.

Thanks for the info - I wondered about an extension in another post since he was only signed for 2 years.

Oh for Gosh sakes...don't we all know that getting Millsap with the contract we have him on is likely the 2nd best move DF ever made (tossing JJ the first).

Millsap is Sooooooo tradeable...strike while the iron is hot.

Strike,,,Strike...Strike....

(strategic rebuid)

P.S. - I just hope they can distance themselves from the "Dennis pick"...the guy has nothing and if they are arrogant and want him to do stuff he can't ...Rrrrr....will screw up our team.

Let him go.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I think we all know Ferry is not going to max him out next season. So I guess if he is not extendable before that then we need to be looking at all trade possibilities from now til then. Unless Ferry knows something we don't about him really wanting to stay in Atlanta. But I have a feeling he will be getting a good chunk of change from someone. And rightfully so seeing what some of these other clowns in the league are making.

• Like 1