• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ATL Hawks all time best GM Danny Ferry

tbhawksfan

Yeah, and if we've been trying to trade up all along, why didn't he NOT sign Korver, Sap, JT and take the gift sealed opportunity to control our own destiny in the draft this year. We basically only had Horf and Lou and 7 recent picks.

I hope he didn't really think that we'd get some great pick from Brooklyn a team that's $30M over the tax.

Sad thing is that we basically have our "Nique" in Horford, a top 20 player, and he's been here for a while. If we're going to do something with Horf in the core, it needs to start happening pretty soon.

Horf is a legit top 10 to 15 player to me. His issue isn't his game, it's his scoring. His scoring just isn't much of a threat and we need him at PF. He gets beat up too much at C. We reach the 2nd round with Nique and with Al but Nique was an elite scorer. More people can see Nique as dominant because he could dominate a game offensively. Horf doesn't dominate offensively or defensively. He does a lot of little things and most of them at an elite level but their is a reason why he's a lesser Tim Duncan and not Tim Duncan. Duncan could easily play both positions. Duncan can protect the rim at an elite level. Duncan could create his own shot. Al can't do that as well as Duncan. Even old Duncan. That's why people respect Nique more than Al outside of just the entertainment value.

• Moderators

Saying Ferry is the greatest all-time GM for the Hawks is either a wild overstatement or the greatest backhanded insult of the other GMs in team history.

For me, I disagreed with this 'keep in the middle' approach for this year and wanted to be in the lottery. Opinions differ on this but I don't expect to see use repeat the Rockets' "mediocrity to studly" approach as many other seems to think. (I think they were lucky and the strategy is a low % one). So I have that issue with Ferry.

On draft picks, he has yet to draft a player who is even a regular in the rotation with 3 first round picks. It is too early to make a judgment on his ability to manage the draft but nothing so far is any great accomplishment. If Bebe and Shredder bear fruit, that will be a big boost to his grade in this area and he should have a shot at some very good players in this year's draft (maybe someone like Cauley-Stein, Young, Saric, Harrell, etc.) so given the history of terrible drafting in Atlanta he has a shot to move quickly to the head of the class (as done any new GM in the ATL).

I loved the trade of JJ and disagree with others who think there was some great deal out there waiting to be had. I agree with Northcyde's assumption that we could have gotten someone like Pau Gasol but I don't know that such a deal would have been any better than landing Paul Milsap in free agency (maybe worse when you look at the price tag).

I liked several of the FA type moves Ferry has made as well as an effort to change the culture which has at least generated positive media buzz - which in itself is a step towards changing the culture (going from a team the media laughs at to one they lob some respect at is a feather in his cap).

I am firmly in the "it is too early to judge" category on Ferry and can see a possibility of him becoming our best all time GM but I see him as having a long way to go to get there. Calling him the best now is like saying someone is the player of the game when he finishes the first quarter 2 for 5 with 5 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 turnover.

• Like 1