• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Off topic - help needed

warcore

Hello fellow squawkers.

This Thursday (trade deadline) I interview for a toxicology fellowship. I have just been notified on late notice that I need to submit the title for the topic I am presenting for 20-25 minutes (JUST notified of this). I was told it could be on anything at all and to be creative. With so little time I went ahead and told the director I will be presenting 'Why the Atlanta Hawks Have a Brighter Future than the Miami Heat'

I figure it would be good to bring up things like:

-D Wades injury history and that King James couldn't do it in CLE with plenty of help so his chances would be low without D Wade.

-Our rights to swap picks with BKN and discuss how they should only decline based on their age and salary situation

-Our roster situation (friendly contracts, youth, moveable assets, etc)

-Average ages of the above mentioned rosters.....

If anyone could help me with links on salary cap legistics so I can back things up with facts that would be awesome.

Also if anyone has any other ideas I could tie in to this -- also awesome.

Thanks in advance and hears to hoping our Hawks support my argument on Thursday!

• Moderators

I am huge Hawks fan but this is a tough argument to make. The Hawks are in a position similar to where the Houston Rockets have been recently - fine contracts, decent players but a net borderline playoff team that doesn't get an elite draft pick. They got very lucky to land Harden and then leveraged him to get Dwight. They got lucky with Harden because he was a young, proven player with elite potential on a team that couldn't afford to keep him, which is very unusual. They made their own luck (so to speak) by having multiple lottery assets that they used to trade for him so even if we end up with the opportunity to acquire a James Harden type (which is unlikely) we don't have the lottery assets to beat other offers anyway. I think we are in a position of mediocrity with no clear path to acquiring an elite player for the near term. Best case scenario for this team is building like the Pacers or getting very lucky.

My personal opinions aside, you could say that the Hawks have numerous paths to success and the versatility to pursue these simultaneously while the Heat are committed to their core with no path forward if James leaves or they get too old (although I think if these guys leave the Heat will be right there at the top of the draft the next season with a shot at a stud so it isn't totally bleak). Miami basically has no draft assets, no cap room and little possibility of trade but a hell of a core or they lose their studs and join the tankers with great cap room and strong draft options. The Hawks have these paths forward and the flexibility to pursue any or all of them simultaneously which allows them to maximize the opportunities that present themselves:

[*]Build through draft (Net's rights and our picks) plus the additional bonus of two picks bringing new value with Bebe (in Europe) and Schröder (essentially redshirting); [*]Build through free agency (some room and attractive assets that can be unloaded to clear more room); and [*]Build through trades (good, low maintenance players who are on attractive contracts).

The problem is that they have a contingent of players that is middle-of-the-road and they don't have the best options on any of these paths (cap room but not max room; lots of decent to good trade assets but no great ones; picks but just their normal ones and none that look like a high probability of being a transformative pick).

You could use the Josh Smith move as part of a case study for how the Hawks are making good decisions. You could hit:

[*]Superior play on the floor for Sap; [*]Lower per year salary; [*]Fewer years of commitment (giving you flexibility going forward); [*]The importance of positive attitude and team commitment; and [*]Value of systems and how Sap fits what the Hawks want to do while Josh's broken jumper is disruptive and disfunctional.

This could tie out to you:

[*]You want to provide high value in your role; [*]You recognize importance of team work and positive attitude in the work place; [*]You recognize the need to be part of the system so the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm going to be vain, but here are things you need to know:

None of those are opinions, they are all pretty much jam packed with enough facts to make you hate the CBA. But if it didn't make you hate the CBA, then we have a support group that meets every Hawks game at The Chat Factory. I know some of those topics may come off as petty, but if you are trying to get a fellowship then that is definitely a plus.

I have opinions on how the Hawks operate and what the best way for them to go about it is, but opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Since I already am an asshole, I figure I shouldn't share my opinion because that would be too much for this world to handle.

Edited by Dolfan23
You did something funky before the "Another DPE" text that was messing the link up.

Here are the players, injuries, and injured dates for each team.

Using this information, it should be possible to figure out the return dates for players in question based on a little box score investigation.

Atlanta Hawks:

02/18/14 Gustavo Ayón Right shoulder02/12/14 DeMarre Carroll Left hamstring01/24/14 Jeff Teague Left ankle sprain01/24/14 Pero Antić Sore ankle01/22/14 DeMarre Carroll Hamstring01/13/14 Pero Antić Back spasms12/31/13 DeMarre Carroll Sprained right thumb12/27/13 Al Horford Torn right pectoral12/26/13 John Jenkins Left leg12/18/13 Cartier Martin Sprained left ankle12/09/13 Gustavo Ayón Sore ankle11/29/13 Kyle Korver Rib contusion11/26/13 Shelvin Mack Left game - left ankle sprain11/22/13 Lou Williams Sore knee11/19/13 Paul Millsap Right elbow11/16/13 Lou Williams Sore knee10/28/13 Lou Williams Torn right knee ligament10/25/13 Gustavo Ayón Rotator cuff

Miami Heat:

01/05/14 Mario Chalmers Right Achilles tendinitis01/05/14 Shane Battier Sore quad01/04/14 Dwyane Wade Sore knee12/30/13 Norris Cole Broken nose12/30/13 Dwyane Wade Back spasms12/30/13 Chris Andersen Sore back12/28/13 LeBron James Strained groin12/17/13 LeBron James Sore ankle12/07/13 Michael Beasley Sore hamstring12/03/13 Dwyane Wade Sore knee11/29/13 Shane Battier Flu11/25/13 Mario Chalmers Groin11/19/13 Dwyane Wade Sore knee11/12/13 Ray Allen Flu11/09/13 Udonis Haslem Sore back10/28/13 Michael Beasley Sprained arm10/28/13 Greg Oden Sore knee

Hope this helps!

• Like 1