• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Depression

louwill16

I realize I'm not a regular on the forum every week, but I continuously check in to see how the true fan base is feeling. I think that the first part of the season was a great success, but far from the success that I expect out of a great franchise. I believe in the atlanta hawks and always will as a great franchise. Although experts seem to believe we are on the upswing, this is far from the truth. With J-Smoove, J-Chills or Jamal at times, and JJ we had a young and exciting nucleus.

Truthfully, I felt as if we were one injury here or there from the conference finals which is my goal as a fan. A title would be great, but so would a conference finals birth. Watching us against Boston in 08 was an amazing experience that I will never forget. In the following years, we were bounced by Dwight Howard and the Magic, and Lebron James and the Cavs as a young team. 2 elite players in their prime. Our fan base and ownership showed shame, when we need love and consistency. No shame in losing to these guys at the time.

In the coming years, we had our chances. Our best chance may have been the year we lost in the first round against the celtics, with al horford returning from pectoral injury. Finally, Teague had his chance to break out of Bibby's shadow, the only diff in the team. How far would we have gone? Well, the celtics went on the smash the sixers, and make the conference finals. That could have been us, had we the benefit of a healthy Al, or hadn't blown game 2 in typical fashion. But, so happens when you don't have a real coach.

Everyone loves to criticize JJ and J-Smoove but they brought the most exciting and productive talent we have seen since Steve Smith. I'm really not sure of the Ferry plan, but I'm not sold on John Jenkins, Dennis, and Bebe. Mike Scott has earned his colors, but wouldn't Ivan fill in just as well? We are regressing by losing stars every year. Cap space never amounted to anything for a team that has no history, according to the young NBA players. Moreover, ATL is the best place in the world for an up and coming young man. What could these talented players have done with a "real coach" like Bud? Didn't they deserve a chance? Seems like we finally got a coach and now we don't have the talent all the sudden. Sorry, I'm not in favor of Drew and Woodson ever being real coaches. They wasted and ruined players for years. Drew stunted Teague, insisted on trading Morrow for Dante Cunningham(insane). Woodson stunted everybody including Smoove, Law, Chills, Zaza, much like he's doing with Shumpert in New York, that guy just hates young guys not over the age of 21(a la Al horford.).

To the true point, can everyone not see that Ferry is tanking? Our best player, Jeff Teague is getting benched on the regular for D-League prospects and Millsap is being held out for ?????? I'm not really sure. MRI has revealed nothing. We are losing games. I'm not for, Teague and comp. developing a losing mentality once again like Josh had to try to break out of but never was able to. Do we really trust Ferry to draft a star, or are we going to foster a new losing atmosphere? I for one, believe in winning and think we have the talent to at least make the playoffs in the east.

• Like 2

Very nice and informed post for a person in Honolulu with 10 posts against my 10,000....but let's look at this to be fair:"To the true point, can everyone not see that Ferry is tanking? Our best player, Jeff Teague is getting benched on the regular for D-League prospects and Millsap is being held out for ?????? I'm not really sure. MRI has revealed nothing. We are losing games. I'm not for, Teague and comp. developing a losing mentality once again like Josh had to try to break out of but never was able to. Do we really trust Ferry to draft a star, or are we going to foster a new losing atmosphere? I for one, believe in winning and think we have the talent to at least make the playoffs in the east."You, for one, believe in winning. Well good for you son. Do you - by the way - understand the impacts of winning and losing?...at this time and in this draft?

Edited by DJlaysitup

I'm from Marietta and reside in Honolulu. Of course, I understand the implications of this draft. Are you questioning me? Keep in mind, I hold the team's best interest at heart. I hope the best for the team. I just don't expect us to draft an amazing player, nor to I think that the draft presents any guarentees ever. The draft is always a toss up. For example, the blazers drafted Lilliard 2 drafts ago. We have not had such luck. How can I trust Ferry to make the right pick in the top 10 possibly over a top 20 pick? Please don't doubt my worth as a fan. I've stuck with this team through thick and thin. We could draft Marvin again for god's sake, or perhaps Shelden?? That's not what I'm looking for.

• Like 2

P.S. College rarely, if ever translates how "experts" believe it will in the draft. All of us in ATL knew Shumpert was a stud at GT yet he was critisized for entering the draft only to "surprise" at the combine, same for Thad Young. The point is, I don't believe in many NBA Gm's to do the research and make the right choice over a proven player who could be aquired by trade. If they are the sort of GM that watches and analyzes college, D-League, and Euro games, they will make excellent selections mid-round. With that said, go for the wins always. I watched this team lose for too many years, while nearly every fan walked away, wouldn't watch or respect this team. The playoffs matter. Winning over years matters to this city. The braves struggled and struggled and struggled but after years and years of winning the fans continue to support.

• Like 1

I'm from Marietta and reside in Honolulu. Of course, I understand the implications of this draft.

OK...well then there you go. I just saw Honolulu and 10 posts and figured you were ASG affiliated.I had no idea you understood the impact of this draft. Many say that this draft is actually 10 deep. Maybe 4 or 5 as far as "impact" guys - but others who will compete right off the bat.

That's totally possible, or it's not you know? We could draft and impact player or not. I'm not sure at this point that I expect Ferry to draft a great player. I did my due diligence and researched his picks in Cleveland and found nothing of any worth. I have found nothing of any superstar worth for the hawks so far. However, I do believe Bud might be a real coach that we have not had since Lenny which would be nice. Now, all the sudden we have little developmental talent. Shocking!

• Like 1

As a winner, playing Teague, Koever, and Millsap minimal minutes in a close game against golden state is ridiculous and must come from the top. I'm not sure Bud would ever make those choices on his own free will. Not to mention, the defeated look the boyz portrayed on national tv Wednesday night resembles a tank feeling from the top.

• Like 1

I'm worried of the same. It seemed like when Josh and JJ broke in, they were trying to crash the party and the status quo. We flatlined with that nucleus but did we ever provide them with any sort of coaching?? As a fan, I knew from the onset that Woodson was not a real coach, and Drew was clearly and AAU coach. In the NBA the stats gurus are winning right now, and the hawks are following the model. Don;t get me wrong Millsap was a great signing but let's be honest we could have brought in another big time free agent like Josh or Big Al to complement. I'm for one tired of money sitting on the table. Doesn't have to be long term. When does the new "future" begin?

• Like 1

note: I lived in Denver when the gauntlet was laid down between talent and coaching....it came down to "who leaves?" John Elway, QB...or Dan Reeves, Coach....Reeves got his walking papers and Elway won 2 Superbowls.nobody in Denver shed a tear about Reeves leaving.

Edited by DJlaysitup

The city of Atlanta has rarely had the patience to see through winning. ATL Falcons firing Reeves strikes a chord, after which Mike Vick was not properly coached and watched. GT firing Paul Hewitt a mere 5 years after a national title appearance, only to lose for years now. On the other hand, we wait around on lame goats such as, Woodson and Drew. This city deserves better than subrate coaches. When NY hired Woody, I laughed. The thought in mind is that he knows how to manage elite vets but can't handle any sort of developmental responsibilities. It is very clear now in New York as they regress. Not one player on the hawks developed under woody. I would go as far to say that all of our players, if they developed, found ways to excel on their own in every way. We seem to find patience or ill will in all of the wrong situations.

• Like 1

I'm worried of the same. It seemed like when Josh and JJ broke in, they were trying to crash the party and the status quo. We flatlined with that nucleus but did we ever provide them with any sort of coaching?? As a fan, I knew from the onset that Woodson was not a real coach, and Drew was clearly and AAU coach.

Yep...I guess the thing that always got on my nerves about "Hawks Fans" was that JSmoove was the 2nd 1st round pick we had and nobody actually expected much out of him...early on. Few of the other guys we picked worked out for spit and Smoove kept clicking along. At first all Smoove could do was block shots and dunk...then he worked on his game each year in the off-season...and next year he could make a layup off the glass (mildly contested)...the kid worked on his game every year and became a decent player (offensively) with a true defensive presence. I remember many a time when opponent's guards driving to the hoop would just "turn around".Smoove was intimidating.

All comes back to the point that now that we finally have a real coach we have nearly no developmental talent. Possibly Dennis?? When I consider great young talent, I think of players who are battling for playing time in their first year. Ferry has not drafted one of these players in the first round. Granted, not loads of rotational guys have been drafted in our pick range over the last few years, I'm tired of excuses. Several GM's have made the right picks when they needed to do so. If Ferry has the confidence to trade away our young talent to tank, like we are seeming to do at this point (losers of 13/14), he better have confidence in his picks. Not sure if I do. Our players sure are not playing like they believe in anything that may or may not be coming next year.

You are absolutely right. I have been saying for years that we have had talent but we lacked coaching. The teague-jj-marvin-Smoove-Horf lineup was a good lineup with bad and weak coaching. I don't now what the hell Ferry's plan is either but he comes across as being arrogant. I hope his arrogant attitude doesn't cause us to lose players. I sit back and read the comments with all the Ferry love but what exactly has he done? I like coach Bud alot but we have guys starting that would coming off the bench in any other city. Now we have good coaching and no talent.

IF we are tanking other team are doing it better than us. Even in Detroit, Josh Smith is hurting this team. Its makes no sense that with our recent win-loss record we are in still in the playoffs by 3 games.

Edited by Wurider05
  • Like 1

One thing to note about Ferry's drafts: This year was the first time he had full responsibility. I don't know to what extent was his involvement in picking Jenkins and Scott, but he didn't have much time make a decision (and to be fair, there's only 1-2 guys picked after Jenkins who may even be worth a hoot).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I am not sure Jenkins is a loss at this point. Holding my judgement until seeing how he bounces back from back surgery for next season..Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I felt we were one LEGIT #1 option away from a title with Joe, Marv, Smoove, Al, and Jamal.

Now, I think we are one LEGIT superstar away from contending a title. Maybe Dennis development will help as well but we most definitely need to add Melo or someone with elite talent.