• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft day scenario emerging...

parfait

I know that teams work out all different players before the draft, but it still struck me as kinda odd that the Hawks worked out a top level point guard prospect in Tyler Ennis. But then when I put this factoid together with another rumor, a draft/trade strategy emerged...

1) Hawks trade Teague to Sac for #7 as was somewhat rumored. Sac gets a good young veteran. Ferry moves a bigger contract attached to a PG that they like but don't love. And I believe as do many others on HS that they would target Dario Saric with this pick. And in fact I think the trade could even be predicated on Saric being there at at #7.

2) At #15 the Hawks take either Ennis or Elfrid Payton (who I believe they also worked out). Then they have this pick battle with Schröder for the starting spot, along with either Mack or some other vet PG on a 1 yr deal. Just trying to read the tea leaves here.

3) I think they could still use a young shooting guard at this point and could swing a deal for a mid to late first rounder, likely by absorbing a contract (such as C Boozer or either of Asik or Lin). Then they could grab either KJ McDaniels or Jordan Adams (or even Rodney Hood if he unexpectedly slides).

4) After a Teague trade I believe you'd be looking at $18-20 mill in cap space (unless u also talked them into including Ben McLemore). Depending on how big a contract u absorbed in 3) above, u could probably sign one midrange FA, like a Rodney Stuckey. And who knows, maybe u could talk Luol Deng into a 1 or 2 year Sap-like deal to rehab his value.

This was just a pattern that meshed in my head when wrapping my brain around some of the rumors and workout schedules. Definitely a fun time to be a Hawks fan.

I know that teams work out all different players before the draft, but it still struck me as kinda odd that the Hawks worked out a top level point guard prospect in Tyler Ennis. But then when I put this factoid together with another rumor, a draft/trade strategy emerged...

1) Hawks trade Teague to Sac for #7 as was somewhat rumored. Sac gets a good young veteran. Ferry moves a bigger contract attached to a PG that they like but don't love. And I believe as do many others on HS that they would target Dario Saric with this pick. And in fact I think the trade could even be predicated on Saric being there at at #7.

2) At #15 the Hawks take either Ennis or Elfrid Payton (who I believe they also worked out). Then they have this pick battle with Schröder for the starting spot, along with either Mack or some other vet PG on a 1 yr deal. Just trying to read the tea leaves here.

3) I think they could still use a young shooting guard at this point and could swing a deal for a mid to late first rounder, likely by absorbing a contract (such as C Boozer or either of Asik or Lin). Then they could grab either KJ McDaniels or Jordan Adams (or even Rodney Hood if he unexpectedly slides).

4) After a Teague trade I believe you'd be looking at $18-20 mill in cap space (unless u also talked them into including Ben McLemore). Depending on how big a contract u absorbed in 3) above, u could probably sign one midrange FA, like a Rodney Stuckey. And who knows, maybe u could talk Luol Deng into a 1 or 2 year Sap-like deal to rehab his value.

This was just a pattern that meshed in my head when wrapping my brain around some of the rumors and workout schedules. Definitely a fun time to be a Hawks fan.

Just to piggy back on what u said, I believe I read somewhere ferry is unimpressed with the wings projected to drop to us. So that adds to the possibility of us drafting elfrid payton.

I like payton, but im not sure I like the idea of not getting a young wing in a "wing heavy" draft.

Wow. That's pretty specific. All that meshed in your head at one time?

Ha ha. Well, I was out watching Maleficent with the family. Overall it was pretty good, but during some slow parts my mind drifted off to where it goes a lot these days, the Hawks offseason. Then it just...came to me, lol.

I don't see how a teague for saric/Ennis makes us better

That's the thing it doesn't!

The logical thing to do is this trade...

Send Schröder,Williams,and next year 1st to SAC

We get 8th pick then we select Marcus Smart and with our 15th select Ennis!

so you want to trade a promising pg for a sg with no shot and a mediocre pg. Passs

Edited by skimaskway23

Wow, essentially 2 firsts and an expiring contract for the #7 pick? I think that's a bit much. But in regards to the original trade scenario, I'm not fully advocating one way or another, but it would be sought based on two suppositions:

1) Saric is a star in the making.

2) They are selling high on Teague, believing that he will always run hot and cold, both in terms of effort and shooting ability. And he will never be a committed defender.

I haven't been able to scout Saric to be able to agree or disagree with 1). But I tend to go along with the notion of 2). I wouldn't mind selling high on Teague, even if it meant relying on a combo of Schröder/Mack or Schröder/Stuckey next year.

I don't think they would do that. I know if I were a Sacramento fan, I'd be pissed as hell if they did that.

I hate to nitpick your idea to death but....

The Kings have the 8th not 7th.

I don't think they value Teague enough to move the 8th for him especially when it complicates the fact that they already have a RFA in Thomas who kicked Jeffrey's ass last season.

One of our Eurosquawkers already detailed why it isn't monetarily advantageous for Saric to come over if he's selected after 7th.

If you see Ennis possibly being available at 15 then it isn't much of a shock for Ferry to work him out. Better to be prepared if a prospect falls to you than not.

The Hawks can't really absorb salary at the time of the draft and the same goes for the Kings so any trade for a pick involving vets has to be near cap neutral.

so you want to trade a promising pg for a sg with no shot and a mediocre pg. Passs

Promising PG over a PG that is already good. And Smart doesn't have "no shot". He just can't shoot threes. Sounds a lot like Wade to me. His career went poorly...