Why are fans lying on this team?

NBASupes

Peachtreehoops.com- 

It was so close in Game 6 of the playoff series. The city was hype -- a buzz that hadn't been felt in almost two decades in the city. The Pac was Back and the Hawks were minutes away from completing the upset over the top-seeded Indiana Pacers, without Al HorfordInstead, it was "Never Trust the Hawks" again and the franchise's limited postseason success has to wait another year before trying to scribe a new chapter and the outsiders could ignore the Hawks once more.

The buzz when we played the Bulls and Celtics in the Joe era was the same damn feel. Once again, it wasn't much different. 

The truth is the Hawks are moving forward, as Lowe says. It is a good core of players, a sensational coaching staff and the franchise is in real good hands with Danny Ferry and Mike Budenholzer.

Good core? The core isn't much better than it was 2011 or 2012. It's a far cry from the core in 2009 and 2010 from a talent perspective. Sap and Horford together was 14th in offensive efficiency and was worse in defensive efficiency by a good bit. Guess what? Just the year before with Smoove and Horf, they too was 14th in offensive efficiency but in the top 10 or near it for most of 2012-13 for defensive efficiency and have been in the top 5 and 10 throughout there time together. .  

It's hard to wait. It's hard to feel the pain of being irrelevant. There are those who would react to that by screaming and wanting to dump everyone running the Hawks right now out of frustration and impatience. They'll talk about superstars and putting butts in seats. But the last thing that needs to be done is to oust competence and remove the very things that are beginning to turn the heads of the people that watch the league closer than anyone. To act foolishly, which I'm thankful this ownership group isn't doing, would be kin to cratering the franchise. Tell me again how doing this would attract any superstars or accomplish anything other than going back to square one.

Realism. 

Where are the realistic Hawks fans? Why is a lot of fans and supporters drinking the Kool-aid? Explain? 

I do see some similarities to the Rick Sund Era pretty JJ deal.

Good addition-Crawford/Millsap

Added solid potential PG-teague/schredder

2nd round playoff ceiling.

Among others things.

And before people flame me. This is not a negative comment.

But we do have Bud now so that's a huge difference. I just dont think it'd a big enough difference to get us to the top. He just needs some more talent.

Side note. That Jamaal Crawford trade though! Acie Law and speedy Claxton for a 6th man of the year. Danggggggg

• Like 2

The best trade was the Mike Bibby trade. That made our offense more efficient than anytime in the last 25 years. Wasn't pretty but our offense in the Joe era was never pretty.

If Sund could have gotten even a decent coach, I think that team would have been pretty good. We had some good talent. We just had offensive morons running the show.

• Like 2

If Sund could have gotten even a decent coach, I think that team would have been pretty good. We had some good talent. We just had offensive morons running the show.

Bibby was the offensive coach lol. Our defensive scheme was amazing for the time period. It worked till we had to play v. talented size or a superstar.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

Good core? The core isn't much better than it was 2011 or 2012. It's a far cry from the core in 2009 and 2010 from a talent perspective. Sap and Horford together was 14th in offensive efficiency and was worse in defensive efficiency by a good bit. Guess what? Just the year before with Smoove and Horf, they too was 14th in offensive efficiency but in the top 10 or near it for most of 2012-13 for defensive efficiency and have been in the top 5 and 10 throughout there time together. .  

Horford/Millsap: 29 games played together, 14th in offensive efficiency.

Horford/Smith: 6 seasons played together. 14th in offensive efficiency.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way because this is clearly impressive.

Horford/Millsap: 29 games played together, 14th in offensive efficiency.

Horford/Smith: 6 seasons played together. 14th in offensive efficiency.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way because this is clearly impressive.

You have it wrong. That was last year. The highest offensive Hawks efficiency they had as a tandem was in the top 5 with Bibby at his final peak. 

On top of that, their defense was average last year as a combo. With Sap/Antić, the defensive EFF was below average which is even worse.  

With Smoove our worse defensive EFF was barely outside of the top 10. Usually top 5-10.

The fact that the mark left after 6 seasons was matched by Horford/Millsap in that short time is still impressive. If we had a timetable of Horford and Millsap over 6 years, I guarantee you could find a top 5 spot. How about we compare the offensive efficiency of Horford/Smith in their first year together with the offensive efficiency of Horford/Millsap in their first 29 games together.

Not surprised by the defense, I don't think anyone was expecting more than average. 

I will bet you 200 dollars via paypal that this tandem of Horf/Sap WILL NOT be in the top 5 of offensive efficiency next year. 

@Dolfan23 

Book it if he's willing to agree to the bet. 

You keep talking about 29 games as if Sap isn't clearly a better offensive player than Smoove. 

Considering how good Sap is on offense, we should be in the top 5 of offensive efficiency but the fit with Horf isn't there at ALL. 

I will bet you 200 dollars via paypal that this tandem of Horf/Sap WILL NOT be in the top 5 of offensive efficiency next year. 

@Dolfan23 

Book it if he's willing to agree to the bet. 

You keep talking about 29 games as if Sap isn't clearly a better offensive player than Smoove. 

Considering how good Sap is on offense, we should be in the top 5 of offensive efficiency but the fit with Horf isn't there at ALL. 

When did I say anything about next year? If there's someone willing to bet that, let me get some money in on it too. Maybe I could have worded it better, but if you were to replace Smith with Millsap over the same 6 year timetable, Horford/Millsap would reach top 5 easily.

When did I say anything about next year? If there's someone willing to bet that, let me get some money in on it too. Maybe I could have worded it better, but if you were to replace Smith with Millsap over the same 6 year timetable, Horford/Millsap would reach top 5 easily.

Idea of a six year timetable with Al and Sap is hilarious. If Sap is still here, we won't see Al in three years in Atlanta. 

• Premium Member

Top 5 what?

Sap is a duplication of Horf.  While Smoove thought he had the same problem, Sap is not as good in transition as Smoove and not as good a passer as Smoove.

If you told me how you were planning to observe this top 5, maybe we would be able to debate this more carefully.

Idea of a six year timetable with Al and Sap is hilarious. If Sap is still here, we won't see Al in three years in Atlanta. 

It's a hypothetical, replace Millsap with Josh for the 6 seasons he played here with Horford. The same time table, not just 6 years from the present.

Top 5 what?

Sap is a duplication of Horf.  While Smoove thought he had the same problem, Sap is not as good in transition as Smoove and not as good a passer as Smoove.

If you told me how you were planning to observe this top 5, maybe we would be able to debate this more carefully.

Top 5 in offensive EFF.

The buzz when we played the Bulls and Celtics in the Joe era was the same damn feel. Once again, it wasn't much different.

THANK YOU! All these new fans expose themselves when they say this! 2008 was even more hype since it was the first playoff berth in 9 years.

• Like 1

THANK YOU! All these new fans expose themselves when they say this! 2008 was even more hype since it was the first playoff berth in 9 years.

I wouldn't say it's the new fans, it's the old fans trying to convince themselves things are getting better when they just remain the same.