• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Adreian Payne thus far?

Hawkfan89

If he can shoot over 50% while taking that many jumps shots I will change my tone because if he does that he is elite. In college he was an elite shooter that shot over 50% from the field and over 35 from the 3 pt line but when I watched him in college I saw someone that did not know how to play. He had physical advantages and all he wanted to do was shoot jumpers.

Wrong.

But please continue to hate on him with false information.  It's fun to see what you will come up with next.

Rasheed!! That's a good comparison. I'm hoping he can develop into that type of player. Maybe he can pick up a few post moves to complete his game..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a post game. Just hasn't shown it in summer league yet.

A little bit off-topic, but I was checking out Dennis Schröders former running mate from Braunschweig, Daniel Theis, who is playing Summer League for the Wizards this year and was pleased to see how well he has played so far. You might have seen this in the top-10. I was curious how he would hold up vs. Paynes stats so far, because they are of a similar build and age (Payne is a little bit bigger, but also a year older) and I have seen all their games so far. Payne also has a little bit more range, Theis can shoot the European three, but I think thats max-range for him.

I was surprised (adjusted to 28 minutes of playing time):

Payne: 12.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.7 bpg, 3.5 tpg with 0.375 FG% (0.300 3P%) and 0.750 FT% (2.67 attempts per game)

Theis: 12.8 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.9 spg, 3.9 bpg, 4.4 tpg with 0.636 FG% (he has taken no 3pt shots so far) and 0.882 FT% (7.44 attempts per game)

Of course Payne is much more of a "focal point" for the Hawks while Theis profits from Glen Rice Jr. and Otto Porter taking a lot of the attention away from him. On the other hand Payne is a 23-year old college "veteran" and a 15th pick while Theis is just showcasing himself for German/European teams and not the NBA.

I find it troubling that Payne gets basically no free throws as a big man (he is supposed to play PF and C?!) and takes only long jumpers so far. The video above doesn´t really show good post moves. He powered through a couple of times, but there were not really any go-to moves.

So far it looks like 90% of his offensive game is facing the basket, even when he finishes closer to the rim. I think that will be a problem when he gets properly scouted in NBA games. So in order to consistently contribute his outside shot has to get a lot better. It is nice to have a PF/C with his shooting, but only if he has other options to go to and so far he has not - and then you need to be elite in what you can do.

P.S.: Some nostalgia, Theis and Dennis on the farm team in Braunschweig when they were 17-20 years old smile3.gif I think Dennis weighs twice as much now grin.gif

• Like 3

Holy cow what is wrong with some people? Are there even refs at these picks up games? Or are the players calls their own fouls again?

Relax and shut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little bit off-topic, but I was checking out Dennis Schröders former running mate from Braunschweig, Daniel Theis, who is playing Summer League for the Wizards this year and was pleased to see how well he has played so far. You might have seen this in the top-10. I was curious how he would hold up vs. Paynes stats so far, because they are of a similar build and age (Payne is a little bit bigger, but also a year older) and I have seen all their games so far. Payne also has a little bit more range, Theis can shoot the European three, but I think thats max-range for him.

I was surprised (adjusted to 28 minutes of playing time):

Payne: 12.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.7 bpg, 3.5 tpg with 0.375 FG% (0.300 3P%) and 0.750 FT% (2.67 attempts per game)

Theis: 12.8 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.9 spg, 3.9 bpg, 4.4 tpg with 0.636 FG% (he has taken no 3pt shots so far) and 0.882 FT% (7.44 attempts per game)

Of course Payne is much more of a "focal point" for the Hawks while Theis profits from Glen Rice Jr. and Otto Porter taking a lot of the attention away from him. On the other hand Payne is a 23-year old college "veteran" and a 15th pick while Theis is just showcasing himself for German/European teams and not the NBA.

I find it troubling that Payne gets basically no free throws as a big man (he is supposed to play PF and C?!) and takes only long jumpers so far. The video above doesn´t really show good post moves. He powered through a couple of times, but there were not really any go-to moves.

So far it looks like 90% of his offensive game is facing the basket, even when he finishes closer to the rim. I think that will be a problem when he gets properly scouted in NBA games. So in order to consistently contribute his outside shot has to get a lot better. It is nice to have a PF/C with his shooting, but only if he has other options to go to and so far he has not - and then you need to be elite in what you can do.

P.S.: Some nostalgia, Theis and Dennis on the farm team in Braunschweig when they were 17-20 years old smile3.gif I think Dennis weighs twice as much now grin.gif

there would be other advantages to picking up daniel theis.  i could endlessly sing stupid rock me amadeus parodies: