Thoughts on Adreian Payne thus far?

Hawkfan89

• Premium Member

Payne has been well coached and that will serve him well.  Not sure the SL is a venue that fits him well. 

I'll say it again...........I'm pumped about Moose and how he's coming into his own.  Could be a big steal for a second rounder. 

So far, Ferry seems to be doing a better job of drafting in the 2nd Round than the 1st.

Payne has great jumping ability and very nice hustle. He appears to be a very good teammate as well. Once he gets his shot falling consistently, he's going to be a nice player. He will need to develop some better defensive traits along the way.

Dude, everything you say is close to wrong as possible, tell me how my view is terrible? 

Boozers has no athleticism while Payne is an exceptional Athlete.  Payne is a distance shooter whereas Boozer is a midrange shooter. Boozer is a big lumbering guy where Payne is a gazelle.  Payne is a decent defender with the potentials to be a rim protector whereas Boozer plays no defense.

As far as Muscala being Brad Miller...Total opposites again.  Brad is a lumbering non Athlete whereas Muscala is a pretty good athlete.  Muscala is long and wirely and Brad Miller is a heavy lead foot.  Muscala is skill enough to make spinning moves in the lane and i doubt Brad Miller ever did that.  Nor has Brad Miller ever caught an alley oop for a dunk.  The only similarities is that they both shoot from the perimeter but so does Al Horford and Brad ain't no Al Horford.

• Moderators

As far as Muscala being Brad Miller...Total opposites again.  Brad is a lumbering non Athlete whereas Muscala is a pretty good athlete.  Muscala is long and wirely and Brad Miller is a heavy lead foot.  Muscala is skill enough to make spinning moves in the lane and i doubt Brad Miller ever did that.  Nor has Brad Miller ever caught an alley oop for a dunk.  The only similarities is that they both shoot from the perimeter but so does Al Horford and Brad ain't no Al Horford.

This makes it sound like Muscala is a much better basketball player than Brad Miller was.  Miller was very good - a two-time All-Star who had a double-double season and was both a solid rebounder and a highly efficient teen scorer.  If Muscala can be 80% the player that Miller was, I will be thrilled.

• Like 2

Boozers has no athleticism while Payne is an exceptional Athlete.  Payne is a distance shooter whereas Boozer is a midrange shooter. Boozer is a big lumbering guy where Payne is a gazelle.  Payne is a decent defender with the potentials to be a rim protector whereas Boozer plays no defense.

Dude, no one said he was Boozer actually. His skill-set is like Marcus Fizer with the exception of having more range and less core strength.

Payne isn't an exceptional athlete. He's just explosive. He doesn't move laterally well and he isn't strong defending the post or the perimeter at ALL. Boozer was only brought up as that impact level could be his upside if EVERYTHING goes well. Once again, chill out. I don't understand your youthful exuberance half of the time. 

This makes it sound like Muscala is a much better basketball player than Brad Miller was.  Miller was very good - a two-time All-Star who had a double-double season and was both a solid rebounder and a highly efficient teen scorer.  If Muscala can be 80% the player that Miller was, I will be thrilled.

Never said that Miller was a terrible player...just that he and Muscala have very little in common

• Moderators

Never said that Miller was a terrible player...just that he and Muscala have very little in common

In a compare and contrast discussion of Miller and Muscala, I would think it would reflect that Miller was much stronger; a much better shooter; a much better passer; and a better rebounder.  Muscala's agility/athleticism edge seems to pale in comparison to that.  I found it odd that Miller's relative strengths went completely unmentioned while his relative weaknesses were the sole focus.  It seemed to paint a pretty incomplete picture if the purpose was to compare them.

In a compare and contrast discussion of Miller and Muscala, I would think it would reflect that Miller was much stronger; a much better shooter; a much better passer; and a better rebounder.  Muscala's agility/athleticism edge seems to pale in comparison to that.  I found it odd that Miller's relative strengths went completely unmentioned while his relative weaknesses were the sole focus.  It seemed to paint a pretty incomplete picture if the purpose was to compare them.

Do you at least agree that they do not have similar games on the court?

Edited by IBelieveInFerry

Miller as a 2nd year player or prime Miller? Prime Miller was a fringe All Star.

Payne looked good today, hitting his jumpers even with people in his face, I feel with all rookies they need confidence and he sure had it I'm his sot recent game. Defo looks like a floor stretcher but I hope he doesn't hog around the 3 point line in the coming season.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Miller as a 2nd year player or prime Miller? Prime Miller was a fringe All Star.

Prime Miller was the comparison (as I noted the All-Star appearances as well).

However, I'd be thrilled to see an 18.9 PER and .192 WS/48 from Muscala like in Miller's second season.

Miller was 16 pp36 on .558 ts%, 11 rp36, 1.3 bp36 and .9 sp36 that second season.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1