• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nick Markakis to the Braves 4Yrs/$44 Million

ATLHawks3

Not really sure what direction the Braves are going in. He does give us a leadoff hitter and a replacement for Heyward. It seem his defense is a good as well. It is strange though. Seeing a guy who has less strikeouts then the games he has played in.

Edited by WraithSentinel
  • Like 2

.290 career batting average, high OBP guy, and a 2014 Gold Glover is average? I think we got a bargain with this signing.

Perhaps I should've added a disclaimer: I'm still not over the JHey trade so I'm gonna overreact negatively to just about everything the Braves do for a while.

I don't think this signing really does much for us though I do acknowledge he's a solid player.

• Moderators

Markakis is definitely a step up on plate discipline but the guy has very little power.  He didn't even hit a .730 OPS last year on his way to 50 RBI.  We don't have a lot of bats inside the minors so I get the need to sign someone but this is pretty blah.  

• Premium Member

I have to admit I'm not super excited about the signing either. A three-year deal would've been better. It is hard to figure out if we are trying to contend or rebuild. I guess we are retooling but it seems that we could have possibly used the money more wisely. we will instead have to hope that Markakis has fully healed from his wrist and hand injury and gets some power back.

Say what now - there is a possibility that he will now require some kind of neck surgery AND the Braves knew this before AND still signed him??????????

They said its just precautionary. They fully expect him to be ready opening day. Haha, it didn't prevent him from playing 155 games now did it?

They said its just precautionary. They fully expect him to be ready opening day. Haha, it didn't prevent him from playing 155 games now did it?

Hey man, I'm still of the opinion that any kind of neck surgery is a big deal.  Orioles wouldn't give him that 4th year for a reason.

On a related/un-related note, Braves also appear to be after Stephen Drew as a stopgap.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24872601/braves-may-look-at-georgia-native-stephen-drew-as-possible-2b-option?v=1&vc=1

Over 30?  Check

Injury history?  Check

Definitely fits the "plan".  Add to that he's a GA native.  Everybody wins?

Not surprising Braves appear now willing to keep Justin and Gattis. It seem their tone change quite a bit when it appear Nick needed the surgery. They will still deal either if blown away with an offer. It doesn't appear any team will take that chance.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta-braves

• Echoing the prior report, president of baseball operations John Hart says that he will keep both Upton and Gattis unless he gets what he is looking for, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. The club still has the option of attempting to compete by keeping them and adding another starter and a second baseman.
  • Teams in discussions with the Braves now feel they might be likely to keep Gattis, ESPN’s Buster Olney tweets.
  • The Braves are now packaging Justin Upton and Chris Johnson in trade talks with teams, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter).

Hold on, belay that news on Stephen Drew.  Barves signing something called Alberto Callaspo.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/braves-nearing-deal-to-sign-alberto-callaspo.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Callaspo, 31, is a switch-hitter but struggled from both sides of the plate last year. His .223/.290/.290 slash over 451 plate appearances was obviously well below-average. But Callaspo has produced at an average to slightly-above-average clip in recent seasons, and Atlanta may have cause to believe that he’ll return to that level.

Here's Fredro's new utility guy/mascot.  Yay.  So we're hoping he goes from well below average to slightly above average in a comeback year.  Yes! (Marv Albert voice)

Hey man, I'm still of the opinion that any kind of neck surgery is a big deal.  Orioles wouldn't give him that 4th year for a reason.

On a related/un-related note, Braves also appear to be after Stephen Drew as a stopgap.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24872601/braves-may-look-at-georgia-native-stephen-drew-as-possible-2b-option?v=1&vc=1

Over 30?  Check

Injury history?  Check

Definitely fits the "plan".  Add to that he's a GA native.  Everybody wins?

Hahaha good luck with Stephen Drew. He may be the worst hitting long term starter I've ever seen in baseball. Man I'm glad that guy isn't on the Yankees anymore. He will play very good solid defense but his bat is hoooorrrrible. 

Hahaha good luck with Stephen Drew. He may be the worst hitting long term starter I've ever seen in baseball. Man I'm glad that guy isn't on the Yankees anymore. He will play very good solid defense but his bat is hoooorrrrible. 

Well, we ended up signing Alberto Callaspo instead so ... there's that.  Ugh.  Is this what tanking looks like in baseball?