• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good Trade That Won't Happen

ATLien_

Let me preface this post by saying I know we are on a roll and I would not necessarily make any changes. This trade probably made more sense earlier in the year when Millsap would of had a chance to make an impact. Let me also add I would not have the heart to trade Paul Millsap to a losing team after all he's done for us. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make these tough decisions.

So here's the trade it works per ESPN trade machine. Trade Approval

If the Hawks are not sure Paul Millsap can be resigned for what they deem a reasonable salary this is a trade they should consider. How do you like this trade for both teams?

Atlanta Hawks Receive

Thaddeus Young

Gorgei Dieng

Minnesota Timberwolves Receive

Paul Millsap

John Jenkins

Why Atlanta does this?

Outside of the Millsap contract negotiation. Atlanta gets to move Al Horford to his more natural position and help lengthen his career. Gorgei Dieng starts at center and brings many of the same things Al Horford brought to the table at center. He is excellent at hedging, trapping and anchoring a defense and has a solid jump shot out to 15 feet. While we lose range on the jump shot and some scoring we add better rebounding and shot blocking.

Atlanta also adds Thaddeus Young who brings many of the things Paul Millsap brought to the PF position, but with the added flexibility of being able to play SF full time. A guy that can take players off the dribble, score in the post, shoot 3's, be top 10 in steals and also block shots. I honestly believe Thaddeus young is another Paul MIllsap waiting to happen(meaning potential all-star in a better situation). The key difference Paul will be getting probably 15+ million a year and Thaddeus can probably be resigned at his current rate or less. Since he's been on bad teams his whole career and is currently having a down year; he's undervalued.

Why Minnesota does this?

They don't want repeat the same mistakes of teams that have been in the lottery for 5+ years by only having young inexperience talent that learns bad habits. Who better to come and teach Wiggins and crew the right work habits than a two time all-star (wishful thinking) smile3.gif that brings his hard hat every day? Paul won't replace Kevin Loves production completely, but he offers better leadership and is a catalyst for culture change which Kevin Love clearly was not. They also have already paid Nickolai Pekovic, so Dieng is a luxury.

They also add John Jenkins who is a young shooter with potential to develop. This team has really lacked floor spacing since Kevin Martin went down with injury. Added bonus is there is no way his defense could be any worse than Kevin Marin's, so he may actually be an upgrade there.

Edited by ATLien_

Sturt I knew you would reply :) We've been trying to get Thad Young here for a while. I think the real power of this trade is while I would start Thad in place of Demarre, we don't necessarily have to. He can get 30 minutes off the bench backing up Demarre and Horford. He can basically play the Mike Scott role while playing much better defense and swith to SF too. Also gives us added SF size agaisnt the Lebron's and Carmello's of the world.

Nope, no interest. Besides Young has a player option which he most likely will opt out to become a free agent.

Thad will get a hefty raise.

Time to get over the 'moving Al to his natural position' he has. He's our Center and he's accepted it. Unless the Center we get is better than Al he's our Center.

Maybe Thad can sign as a free agent.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Nope, no interest. Besides Young has a player option which he most likely will opt out to become a free agent.

Time to get over the 'moving Al to his natural position' he has. He's our Center and he's accepted it. Unless the Center we get is better than Al he's our Center.

I wouldn't be doing this to move AL to his natural position. I'm doing it because I think Thad Young can be just as good and cheaper than Millsap, and we get the privledge of adding Gorgei Dieng. Al moving to PF is a fringe benefit that makes us a better rebounding and defensive team. My whole preface was I would only do this if they feel like MIllsap's next salary will be more than we want to spend(i.e. him getting the Max)

Edited by ATLien_

Gotta find a way to keep Sap and get M Gasol. Frontcourt of Gasol, Horf, and Sap. Dynasty.

• Premium Member

Actually, ATLien, I loved the trade... LOVED it... but it's too late now, imo. We've got too much going well for 14-15, and what's more, Millsap has gotten even better. Beyond that, I'm feeling like Dieng is a piece that MIN values for their future.

So... who knows what happens in the off-season. I still think Thad is a fit here, but maybe just not yet.

I like the trade for us, just not sure Minn will be interested. Jenkins is not a proven player in this league. Also, millsap would seek a FA deal and I don't see Timberwolves giving up Dieng for a risk like that. We would have to include a pick, which I wouldn't be against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk