• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

True Hoop: Jumpers win titles

HawkItus

• Premium Member

I saw this earlier today...interesting video.  Some of my take-aways from it (not that I give a damn what ESPN has to say)...

- I said it earlier in the season, but it really isn't new what we're doing.  It's throwback basketball.  It's ball movement and a true "team" game.

- I don't know if jumpshots, or great coaching, or defense wins...  Everybody has their part of the game that they think is important.  I don't think there's one specific thing that instantly makes a contender...but there needs to be a gameplan offensively and defensively.  You can't win without some sort of identity.  An effective identity.  Fortunately, we have one.

- Another thing that I'm sure is going to be a conversation that won't go away...the superstar!  Or...do we need one?  Yes and no.  First, saying that we are "starless" is a bit of a misnomer.  No we don't have really flashy guys, but as has been pointed out...our starting five IS really good.  It's not about the name or flashy game, and never has been.  It's about getting key baskets when we need them.  Stars do that.  These guys, in this system, gets it done to.  So no, we don't need a "go-to" guy.

On the other hand, I think teams are going to figure this out (and it would be good for the league).  It's not really about having a star-driven team vs. a team-team or that stars aren't as important as we argue they are.  What this is really about is that team ball >>> hero ball.  That's what the Hawks are proving...which, I don't know if there was ever any real debate there.  Thing is, if the league adjusts to this style of play...do we still have an advantage?  In light of that, I say we're golden now...but it won't be an advantage vs. more talented teams playing a similar type of ball.

On a final note...it's nice to have some recognition for once, even if it is ESPN

• Like 2

I saw this earlier today...interesting video. Some of my take-aways from it (not that I give a damn what ESPN has to say)...

- I said it earlier in the season, but it really isn't new what we're doing. It's throwback basketball. It's ball movement and a true "team" game.

- I don't know if jumpshots, or great coaching, or defense wins... Everybody has their part of the game that they think is important. I don't think there's one specific thing that instantly makes a contender...but there needs to be a gameplan offensively and defensively. You can't win without some sort of identity. An effective identity. Fortunately, we have one.

- Another thing that I'm sure is going to be a conversation that won't go away...the superstar! Or...do we need one? Yes and no. First, saying that we are "starless" is a bit of a misnomer. No we don't have really flashy guys, but as has been pointed out...our starting five IS really good. It's not about the name or flashy game, and never has been. It's about getting key baskets when we need them. Stars do that. These guys, in this system, gets it done to. So no, we don't need a "go-to" guy.

On the other hand, I think teams are going to figure this out (and it would be good for the league). It's not really about having a star-driven team vs. a team-team or that stars aren't as important as we argue they are. What this is really about is that team ball >>> hero ball. That's what the Hawks are proving...which, I don't know if there was ever any real debate there. Thing is, if the league adjusts to this style of play...do we still have an advantage? In light of that, I say we're golden now...but it won't be an advantage vs. more talented teams playing a similar type of ball.

On a final note...it's nice to have some recognition for once, even if it is ESPN

I dont think you have to worry about the league adjusting and following our style of play. Bud knows the game better than almost every coach in the league and the ones on his level are already running similar systems. Also, the players have to be capable and willing to sacrifice for the team and the majority of nba players dont fit both criteria.

Yeah, it's no secret formula, it's been out there. It's just that most coaches and players are either unable or unwilling to coach and play that way. So it will remain a successful strategy. There's just too much ego and too little BBIQ out there for it to be adopted league-wide.

• Like 2

On the superstar question, my view is that the right kind of superstar would take us over the top if we could get one (my top choices would be LeBron James, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marc Gasol, Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, or a healthy Paul George because I feel they would fit in well and improve us), but I'd say no to any wings or guards who stop the ball on offense, can't shoot, or don't defend, any unskilled or immobile big men, and any malcontents (right now, for instance, I'd be leery of adding Carmello Anthony, Dwight Howard, Rajon Rondo, and maybe even Kyrie Irving even if they were somehow available and willing to sign with us for some reason).

• Moderators

I dont think you have to worry about the league adjusting and following our style of play. Bud knows the game better than almost every coach in the league and the ones on his level are already running similar systems. Also, the players have to be capable and willing to sacrifice for the team and the majority of nba players dont fit both criteria.

Proof in point is Utah and New York. They try to replicate what the Hawks are doing with the space & pace game, but they don't have the players to play it as effectively as the Hawks do. As Wretch said, to make what we are doing succeed, you have to have a total team effort and have everybody fully buy-in to the system. New York and Utah pass the ball more per possession than we do, yet we're the 2nd best record in the league while they are bottom feeders hunting lotto picks.

• Moderators

Proof in point is Utah and New York. They try to replicate what the Hawks are doing with the space & pace game, but they don't have the players to play it as effectively as the Hawks do. As Wretch said, to make what we are doing succeed, you have to have a total team effort and have everybody fully buy-in to the system. New York and Utah pass the ball more per possession than we do, yet we're the 2nd best record in the league while they are bottom feeders hunting lotto picks.

Isn't NY among the teams that take the very fewest 3's?  

• Premium Member

You look at the best teams in the league right now (and include a team like San Antonio...where we stole this blueprint from)...  These guys play a team game.  They have really good players and they move the ball unselfishly.  The league is paying attention.  If we make it to the finals with this roster, it's going to validate a lot of things - especially if/when we beat Cleveland grin.gif

I mean...we're getting this done without the superstar talent.  It speaks volumes for the system and philosophy.  God forbid another team emerges that plays a similar style of ball, but has a superstar...or if we land a guy like Durant or LeBron...or a center like Marc Gasol.

It's going to force a shift in the paradigm.  I do agree that there will always be guys with egos or styles that can't adjust to a structured system - Melo and GP struggling with the triangle come immediately to mind.  However, that in no way means that all superstar players are incapable of buying in.  Speaking of which...

The triangle is dependent upon a lot of ball/player movement, but is far more rigid than what we do...and Phil has won how many championships with it?  And he did it with quite honestly, THE biggest superstar egos to ever touch a basketball.

(edit fer da grammers....doi!)

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

Coach Bud didn't fully copy the system from San Antonio, he had to tweak his system for his players. Coach Bud might be a quiet guy, but he is really gifted and a talented coach. He really loves the game. When he was still with the Spurs, he was the only one who really knew the Spurs system than anybody in the organization. I think all over those years Bud being around Pop, he learned some things besides X's and O's, and made him a better coach.

I think you meant Utah and Philly. NY is Jackson and his triangle offense. Philly's coach is from San Antonio and is trying to implement what they and us do, but with younger players.

• Like 1