• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is there any similarities between Kelly Oubre and Demarr Johnson?

Blunt91

First off I will state that I don't know much about Oubre.  However, I have watched some of his college highlights and looked at his predraft (solo) workout and I can't help but to see a little bit of Demarr in him.

His physique is similar to Demarr very thin with long arms, he can shoot the three, which DJ came to be known for in his short career,  Furthermore, Demarr was a pretty good defender because of his length to block shot, Oubre isn't a shot blocker but moves his feet well laterally and uses his reach to bother shots. The negative side is Oubre's handles are very mediocre like demarr's was and he isn't very good at creating his own shot.  Demarr was thought to have all the potential in the world coming out of college at 19years old (Oubre is the same age) but never quite lived up to the promise.  I don't believe the car crash stunted his development because he never evolved over the years even to this present day.

So what is your take on this comparison?  He may not be the second coming of DJ , I don't know but I just couldn't helpt to draw some similarities the former Hawk.

• Admin

Are you kidding? He broke his neck ... It's amazing he was actually able to play again. That crash completely stunted his growth ... Who knows what he would have been ... He might have been great, average or a journey man but that crash absolutely prevented him from meeting his potential

• Like 2

Are you kidding? He broke his neck ... It's amazing he was actually able to play again. That crash completely stunted his growth ... Who knows what he would have been ... He might have been great, average or a journey man but that crash absolutely prevented him from meeting his potential

I agree with that completely, however he didn't show any passion or drive or "specialness" even before the accident.

Are you kidding? He broke his neck ... It's amazing he was actually able to play again. That crash completely stunted his growth ... Who knows what he would have been ... He might have been great, average or a journey man but that crash absolutely prevented him from meeting his potentiaI s

I stated he still plays the same way in recent years, the crash was an excuse back in 2002 or 2003 but not in 2015.  He still plays ball overseas in this present day.  However this thread was about how he and Oubre are similar not about Demarr's career.

Edited by Blunt91

• Premium Member

Demarr had better handles and size over Oubre, but that was about it. I actually feel Oubre has a better outside shot and is a much better defender and is a willing rebounder. Demarr showed flashes of what he could be during his first 2 seasons but his 'motor' was a bit questionable for a guy with his skills. He was smooth and fluid for his size, but almost "too" smooth to the point of looking slow at times. Of course, the crash pretty much set him back and it looked like he never really recovered. I was really excited when we drafted him out of Cincy since 'potential' was THE thing back then. Oubre has a better set shot all the way out to the NBA 3, he's a better man defender and help defender, and he rebounds. I wouldn't be angry at picking Oubre, but I know potential picks can go either way. To be honest, he reminds me of Paul George without the handle and passing ability.

We made it to the ECF and got swept.....We need to build on that momentum. Either a powerful rebouding force or a SG that can create his own shot and contribute right away. I'm sorry but drafting for a hope and a prayer for potential is not what we need. Marvin Williams had potential too.  

Time to compete for a title...not another bench warmer that wont see the floor in Coach Bud's system. 

Edited by wolvetigers
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

We made it to the ECF and got swept.....We need to build on that momentum. Either a powerful rebouding force or a SG that can create his own shot and contribute right away. I'm sorry but drafting for a hope and a prayer for potential is not what we need. Marvin Williams had potential too.  

Time to compete for a title...not another bench warmer that wont see the floor in Coach Bud's system. 

Agreed. For bigs I like Myles Turner and Bobby Portis. I like Rashad Vaughn, Jerian Grant, and Justin Anderson at sf/sg. I feel like any one of those players bring something the Hawks need right now.

Every draft pick is a risk, especially with our team. You can just as easily pick a rebounder or sg "shot creator" that doesn't pan out as you can a wing. That's just the power of the draft, you can get a Shelden Williams easy.

I feel like size is one of the few things that definitely will definitely translate on the next level. We really lacked wing defenders in general when we got into the playoffs and I don't see how another one could hurt us. Shot creating sg's are more something I'd target in free agency rather than the draft. The players coming out of college haven't had to create those shots against the level of talent that the free agency players available have.