• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2016-17 Hawks - will be déjà vu all over again

Bamalawdawg

• Moderators

It's not like he jettisoned Dennis or something.  Lou was gonna be gone anyway.  Did those moves facilitate having room for 2 max's?  Yes.  Let's not act like those were 2 pieces we wanted to keep.

Lou was literally the sixth man of the year winner and we gave away a guy who was drafted before Dennis.  It isn't so much whether Ferry wanted them longterm as whether he could have gotten any value for them.  

I'm going to say he could have gotten something if we tried to extract value in a trade.  The fact that Ferry didn't try to squeeze out some value and just did a complete dump tells me he really valued the chance to go after Howard and another max guy that summer.  It speaks to how seriously he took the chance to land Dwight, IMO.

• Like 1

It looks like the team has little mobility for the next two years. Next year they will having resign Horford to a monster contract even though he is barely an all star in the weak eastern conference. It's amazing how much cap space Millsap and Horford are going to eat up when they wouldn't even be all stars in the western conference.

It's amazing that this team is capped out considering the Hawks roster is fairly mediocre (talent wise). Is anyone on the roster even a top 5 at thier position?

How is Horford not top 5? LOL Outside of Gasol who's a better center? MAYBE Cousins? MAYBE Dwight when he's healthy? MAYBE the heavily offensively limited Deandre Jordan? Even if you include those three he's still 5th. Even at that the only one that's a better player all-around is Gasol. The rest are only better one on side of the court at best.

Edited by Flight
  • Like 1

Horford is not barely an all-star, he's perennial and an elite top 10 center in the NBA. Just say HEYULL-to-the-naw to Howard. And Hawks will go all out in pursuit of KD. Can you not figure out why they're not spending significant money/assets on SF this year? Good LAWD what a damn misery party y'all are having in here today.......

• Like 1

The majority of pro athletes don't want to play in the town where they are from. Sure, they will SAY it, but that's just to make their families feel like they tried.

Dwight's first choice was Houston. He ended up in Houston. Anything else he said along the way was posturing. He's a pretty big baby when it all boils down to it. 

• Like 2

While I don't think Ferry really went all out to get Dwight, I also have come to see that it wouldn't have been good for us to get him anyway.

When you intimate that we need a player of his "caliber", I think you're forgetting that Howard isn't exactly an elite big man anymore.  He's certainly a name but he's not carrying a team to the Finals anymore.

Dwight wouldnt have to carry this team. THATS the point. All he has to do is protect the rim and rebound. The added bonus is his offensive presence in the paint, would give Hawks shooters even MORE open looks at the basket.

Ferry took two stashable first rounders and dumped salary while flying to L.A. to meet with Dwight when Dwight was a free agent.

Pro tip: get your facts straight before you try to diss some one unless you want to become the joke.

WAS it a MAX offer? Did Ferry REALLY try and get Dwight?? Im not being sarcastic. I just dont remember Ferry making a SERIOUS effort to get Dwight.

Lastly, next year, ESPECIALLY, will tell the tale with the Hawks because they will have cap and they have a reputation now of being winners.

I Dwight didn't want to come to Atl. Let's face it, a lot of star players avoid us.

Looking way way way forward to the 2016-17 season, our roster looks to be strikingly similar to our upcoming 2015-16 roster, which will be a lot like last year. If you throw Taveras in, and the Hawks pick up team options we'd have 11 players returning, plus Bird rights on Horf. I'm sure his 5 year deal is already drafted with blanks in on the numbers for now. Baze is the only other contributor not team controlled. Horf could just blow the whole thing up by inking a cheaper deal with the Lakers, but if he doesn't we get our 2015-16 team back plus room for a shiny new free agent.

By my rough count we'll be at about $77 mil with Horf's cap hold. $10 mil over the current cap, which mean no FAs if the cap didn't rise. But we've all been told of the spike. The Hawks are in OK shape, unlike some teams, if it doesn't truly spike. With a cap of $80 mil the Hawks can dump Mack and add a guy on a 3 year $18 mil deal. That's certainly better than what they can do this year. If the cap is $90 mil, and we dump Mack and Scott (team options) we are talking about a max player. Kevin Durant or Dwight Howard anyone? The last article I read said $87 mil. Maybe not Kevin Durant money, but perhaps that's where we find our SF for a championship core?

I'm not so pessimistic.

let's state Cap will rise to about 80 mlns.

There are plenty of options:

- If Splitter turns out to be a good C in our system (few doubts) and will be healthy (many doubts) there's the possibility to trade Millsap;

- If Splitter turns out to be a good C in our system (few doubts) and will be healthy (many doubts) we can trade Horford in a sign'n'trade;

- If Splitter turns out to be a good C in our system (few doubts) and will be healthy (many doubts) we can trade him to teams looking for future cap space;

-We can trade Teague;

-We can trade cheaper players to create cap space, and go for a FA.

I think this team looks like the pre-Harden Houston: a team with great cap flexibility, many assets, good young players (actually just Dennis), all the draft picks and, thanks God, not in the place for tanking.

The Rockets were just waiting for a big free agent to sign with them, and they had their Harden. Let's see "what happens to us".

He dumped our first round pick and Lou Williams for nothing to have room to make two max offers with the ideal being Dwight and Paul. I think he went for it pretty hard. I don't think Dwight thought hard about Atlanta, if you see the difference.

And at the time the Hawks still had a lot to prove, so it was a tough sell.

• Premium Member

I just wish we could have gotten Alan Anderson this offseason.   He went to Washington and is a decent off the bench defesnive and offensive player.  

Othwerwise, I believe with Splitter (big man) and YHardJr (shooter) we filled our needs