• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mark Cuban wants Durant. I refuse to believe the Hawks cannot attract a player like Durant...

atlhawks1

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/08/report-mavericks-believe-they-are-legitimate-contenders-to-land-kevin-durant-in-free-agency-next-summer/

Were the Braves a TOP free agent destination before Greg Maddox?? I REFUSE to believe the Hawks CANNOT convince a big time free agent to come to Atlanta. I refuse that, ESPECIALLY because of the fact that athletes love Atlanta. Its a top market, regardless of what ESPN, TNT AND THE NBA SAYS, and the city is possibly the fastest growing city in the United States . The NBA, the networks, and the Hawks THEMSELVES have made a decision years ago to not market the Hawks as a elite club.

You CREATE your market and you CREATE the desire for athletes to come to your ballclub. If you are serious about winning, and SERIOUS about PAYING a top athlete, you work it out. Mark Cuban ALREADY has announced that he wants Kevin Durant next year. Where is the Ressler?? The Hawks cannot let it be known that they want a player like Durant without entailing a fine from the NBA? In fact, Cuban dont care because he is a WINNER. The Mavericks are another ballclub that DOES WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN.

So, its not the players. Its Hawks ownership and management, in cahoots with the NBA and media. Atlanta is a market that that Hawks ownership and the media, NBA, etc. have never cared about developing beyond just GETTING BY.

Back when Ted Turner owned the Braves, the Braves and the Cubs were the ONLY two major league baseball clubs, in fact, the ONLY teams in PROFESSIONAL SPORTS, that were on TV NATIONALLY almost EVERY NIGHT. The Braves were the first. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn ( baseball), told Ted Turner to get serious about his ballclub because they represented the league and were a embarrassment. Since Ted owned the Braves and TBS, and he used them to fill programming space, the networks and major league baseball couldnt prevent Ted from what he was doing.

Suddenly, after baseball pulled his coat tail, Ted GOT SERIOUS, stepped back, hired the right people, and PAID TOP DOLLAR to get Greg Maddox, flirted with Barry Bonds, etc. Everytime a big time free agent came up in a discussion, the Braves were in the MIDDLE of EVERY conversation.

The Hawks dont even get into conversations, much less serious talks with other players. I know, i know, the cap room THIS year. What about NEXT YEAR? WHATS the excuse gonna be? I know, free agents dont wanna come to the Hawks. That excuse has gotten played out. 

5LpBNQF.gif

tom-glavine-12*750xx1800-2400-147-0.jpg

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Cuban is just hoping he can nail down Jordan.  He has missed on top free agents for like the last 5 years now.  It is not an easy thing to land a true superstar.

Give it a little bit more time.....

Hawks just got new owners, we got a coach who is now just being considered a top 5 coach in the NBA, this summer top players actually mentioned the Hawks as a destination which in the past never happened.

It's a work in progress and eventually the Hawks will land someone.

The only reason DMC wasn't brought back to Atlanta wasn't because the Hawks or Ressler wouldn't pay because they would have went over the cap to get him but the way the NBA rules are setup those 2 years contracts came back to haunt us

Cuban is just hoping he can nail down Jordan. He has missed on top free agents for like the last 5 years now. It is not an easy thing to land a true superstar.

This too

• Like 2

Mark Cuban has also wasted the last 4 years trying to hit a homerun in free agency. The thing is it is very rare for a guy like Durant to change teams in free agency and when that happens we will be one of the 29 teams trying to get him. To put things into perspective, after almost 20 years of excellence and 5 championships, Spurs landed a superstar for the first time this summer. I wouldn't get my hopes high...

• Premium Member

Did you watch the clip of the pitcher you referenced, Greg MaddUx. Sorry, it just bothers me so many people can't spell his name right.

I understand your frustrations but understand that these guys/gals just took over. Give them some time before you think we won't attract somebody in free agency. Cuban is always talking about things anyways. He's got fined for it too in the past if I remember correctly?

Poor Cubes couldn't even get Deandre Jordan to sign there. I love him to death as an NBA owner but what star free agent(s) have he convinced to play for him recently (and please don't go there with Monta Ellis)? I'll wait...