Observations vs Nets

capstone21

A good portion of the folks in town don't even know that the Hawks are even playing yet. Football rules these parts this time of the year and with Tech and UGA being widely disappointing and the Falcons failing back to Earth after a hot start, the sports scene here resembles today's weather; dreary, a little rain, and perfect for staying in the house and burning through the batteries in your remote.

It'll get better as the season roll along and they continue to win, as it did last year...

• Like 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, Dejay said:

A good portion of the folks in town don't even know that the Hawks are even playing yet. Football rules these parts this time of the year and with Tech and UGA being widely disappointing and the Falcons failing back to Earth after a hot start, the sports scene here resembles today's weather; dreary, a little rain, and perfect for staying in the house and burning through the batteries in your remote.

It'll get better as the season roll along and they continue to win, as it did last year...

Atlanta is just a bad sports town ... they don't know how to support their teams unless they are really doing well.  

12 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Atlanta is just a bad sports town ... they don't know how to support their teams unless they are really doing well.  

That's true of every sports city.  If it's not true then those fans are idiots.

Hawks fans are always their own worst critics. Miami looked 1/3 empty the other night, and that game was for the SE Division lead. And Miami is supposedly this "Major League City" we keep hearing so much about. It's not just Atlanta.....

• Like 3

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think so too in this day in age.   NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago are all pointed to as great sports towns and they are but they have 100 year old franchises in some sports and the populations of those cities were millions of people 70 years ago.   70 years ago Atlanta was a small town in the deep south.   Outside of the northeast all fans are fickle.   It's expensive and there are too many other things to do.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think so too in this day in age.   NY, Philly, Boston, Chicago are all pointed to as great sports towns and they are but they have 100 year old franchises in some sports and the populations of those cities were millions of people 70 years ago.   70 years ago Atlanta was a small town in the deep south.   Outside of the northeast all fans are fickle.   It's expensive and there are too many other things to do.

I call bull on NE fans not being fickle.  Heck, just a few weeks ago the Yankees couldn't sell out a playoff game.

• Premium Member

Outside of the first game Schro has played like crap IMO. His three point shooting in the third salvaged his night against the Nets, but other than that he was completely incapable of running the offense or setting up his teammates. A little humility would do Schröder good, because he is no where near a starting caliber PG for a team looking to make the finals. 

• Like 2

Someone beat me to it. Name a city with more than one pro team in it (in other words, cross out one-horse towns like Salt Lake, Sacramento, Memphis, and Portland) and I'll point you to a city where fans run for the hills when things go south. Last I checked, there were empties in NYC for a playoff game but shhhh, don't say that too loud because the New Yawkers (along with their ESPN cronies) might get mad. And does anyone need to pull tape from Patriot games before Kraft took over? They went to the Super Bowl years before the Falcons ever did and they still couldn't give tickets away. Same for the Celtics before the 'Big 3' of Garnett and Ray Allen joined Paul Pierce and made them relevant again. And as bad as the Braves were, even they outranked the White Sox in attendance this year; anyone care to explain that one? 

See what I did there? I just took three major cities with decades of fanhood, trophies, and ticker-tape parades, who many of us hear all the time boast and stick their chests out about their rabid fanhood and loyalty and posted up recent happenings where they took a look at the local product and collectively said 'I'll pass'. I won't even go there with Miami (see Monday night), Charlotte (Hor-Bobcats), Houston (Astros until this year), St. Louis (Rams), and so on. There is no such thing as a fairweather fan because just about everyone is at some point.

We have this conversation every year and to be honest, it's gotten old. We all know (or at least should by now) that football rules this state during the fall months with an iron fist covered in barbed wire; unless the Braves are playing in the World Series, no one cares about anything else sporting wise. That WILL NOT CHANGE until the football seasons for UGA, Tech, and Falcons are over and if for some ungodly reason the Hawks aren't winning, it won't then either. Last year when the Hawks started their long winning streak, attendance picked up dramatically after Christmas; anyone can Google their attendance numbers by game and see for yourselves. The same thing will happen here, give or take a couple thousand more showing up because of the good vibes from the year before. If they are bringing in 14k for a game in mid-April and they're 56-22, then I'll side with you. But in early-November? Can't do it...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

You're not kidding. I wouldn't question someone fanhood if they continue shelling out $$$ for a bad product; I would be questioning their sanity. Why in the blazing blue hell would anyone go to a restaurant with bad service, lukewarm food, and watered down drinks? Because it's on your side of town and Grandpa loved it 50 years ago? Because your Dad took you there when you were a kid before new ownership took over and ran it into the ground?

As I've mentioned before, my time and $$$ is valuable. If my favorite team(s) aren't winning, I have a 65" flatscreen, a 55" flatscreen, and two Android boxes (thank GOD for Kodi) to watch any show, sporting event, and movie I want. And that's before I decide to just get in my car and take myself and Mrs. Dejay out somewhere. I'm certain that I'm not alone in that sentiment...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dejay said:

Someone beat me to it. Name a city with more than one pro team in it (in other words, cross out one-horse towns like Salt Lake, Sacramento, Memphis, and Portland) and I'll point you to a city where fans run for the hills when things go south. Last I checked, there were empties in NYC for a playoff game but shhhh, don't say that too loud because the New Yawkers (along with their ESPN cronies) might get mad. And does anyone need to pull tape from Patriot games before Kraft took over? They went to the Super Bowl years before the Falcons ever did and they still couldn't give tickets away. Same for the Celtics before the 'Big 3' of Garnett and Ray Allen joined Paul Pierce and made them relevant again. And as bad as the Braves were, even they outranked the White Sox in attendance this year; anyone care to explain that one? 

See what I did there? I just took three major cities with decades of fanhood, trophies, and ticker-tape parades, who many of us hear all the time boast and stick their chests out about their rabid fanhood and loyalty and posted up recent happenings where they took a look at the local product and collectively said 'I'll pass'. I won't even go there with Miami (see Monday night), Charlotte (Hor-Bobcats), Houston (Astros until this year), St. Louis (Rams), and so on. There is no such thing as a fairweather fan because just about everyone is at some point.

We have this conversation every year and to be honest, it's gotten old. We all know (or at least should by now) that football rules this state during the fall months with an iron fist covered in barbed wire; unless the Braves are playing in the World Series, no one cares about anything else sporting wise. That WILL NOT CHANGE until the football seasons for UGA, Tech, and Falcons are over and if for some ungodly reason the Hawks aren't winning, it won't then either. Last year when the Hawks started their long winning streak, attendance picked up dramatically after Christmas; anyone can Google their attendance numbers by game and see for yourselves. The same thing will happen here, give or take a couple thousand more showing up because of the good vibes from the year before. If they are bringing in 14k for a game in mid-April and they're 56-22, then I'll side with you. But in early-November? Can't do it...

I don't know if I agree with all of it but heck you deserve this ...

Billy-D_Approves.gif

2 hours ago, hazer said:

Hawks fans are always their own worst critics. Miami looked 1/3 empty the other night, and that game was for the SE Division lead. And Miami is supposedly this "Major League City" we keep hearing so much about. It's not just Atlanta.....

I thought the same until I actually experienced  a game at a different arena.  Hornets fans are louder for regular season games than Hawks fans are for playoff games.

It's not even about having sellout crowds. I just wish the crowd that is there would act like they want to be there.  Get behind the home team and give them that extra energy when they are struggling instead of only getting hype when Harry brings out 5 free tshirts. 

As for Miami, they just had their 200th straight sellout and that crowd gets loud when it's needed. 

14 minutes ago, JETSET said:

I thought the same until I actually experienced  a game at a different arena.  Hornets fans are louder for regular season games than Hawks fans are for playoff games.

It's not even about having sellout crowds. I just wish the crowd that is there would act like they want to be there.  Get behind the home team and give them that extra energy when they are struggling instead of only getting hype when Harry brings out 5 free tshirts. 

As for Miami, they just had their 200th straight sellout and that crowd gets loud when it's needed. 

Did you watch the broadcast? The place was only 2/3 full...

22 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Wait, you actually believe the sellout numbers for the heat?

Of course I don't. Just like I don't believe that the Hawks sold out on opening night. 

I mean come on. The team just had the best season in franchise history and the fans can't even sell out opening night.  I can understand a game vs Brooklyn on a Wednesday but opening night?  Pathetic.

45 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Well, it was a Tuesday. At 8 o'clock. Against the Pistons.

It's something to monitor, but I am certainly not sold on the idea that 8 o'clock weekday games are going to be the greatest for attendance numbers (who is to say they want to maximize attendance anyway?). And if Koonin is backing the change in start time up with research then that's something I'd like to know what they did to figure it out.

But you're attempting to point out something "unique" (or something to that effect) about Atlanta when 1) no it's not at all "unique" to have fans not show up or 2) have a team fudge attendance numbers. We go through this every year, but there is nothing out of the ordinary about the fans in Atlanta. The fans all around the country are all about the same, but they all face different costs and options for attending a sporting event. If getting the "fans" like in Cleveland is what you want, then go move to a shitty city with high unemployment, low wages, and nothing else to do.

Added: also, what other business blames the customers for poor sales? "Oh shit Bill, our volume of sales for the Zune isn't what we expected because our dumb idiot consumers won't show up and buy them!"

I've already said I understand the lack of attendance and that the lack of fan participation was the issue. 

1 hour ago, hawksfanatic said:

Ahh, see my bad. Because when you said:

I took that to mean you were upset at the lack of attendance for opening night. Ya know, since you complained about the game not being sold out and all.

Opening night yes.  A Brooklyn game on Wednesday no.  Read the thread and this should be clear.