• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The 2003 and 2004 ATLANTA HAWKS WERE LOADED WITH TALENT..

Hawkmoor

Maaaan, i looked back on these squads because i knew that Rasheed Wallace was on it for ONE game. LOOK at the talent those squads had. HOW in the world did they not turn that into a playoff machine?? They MIGHT have if they had KEPT Rasheed.  In 2004 they added Josh Smith,  Antoine Walker and Tyron Lue and a slew of aging veteran guards in Jon Barry, Kenny Anderson, Tony Delk. HOW in the world couldnt they have tweaked and meshed those two rosters into something special??

Them ninjas had:

Rasheed Wallace ( one game) shouldve kept him..

Stephen Jackson

Shariff Abdul Raheem

Boris Diaw

Dion Glover

Al Henderson

Nazr Muhammed

Theo Ratliff

Bob Sura

Jason Terry

Jacque Vaughn

Edited by Hawkmoor

Talent is wonderful  IF  you have a coach who can bring out the best in each player.

Also, sometimes it's just trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.  Nothing wrong

with the peg or the hole, they just will not work together.  Same way with players.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Talent is wonderful  IF  you have a coach who can bring out the best in each player.

Also, sometimes it's just trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.  Nothing wrong

with the peg or the hole, they just will not work together.  Same way with players.

I looked further into this and found out that Raheem, Ratliff and Dan Dickau were traded to the Trailblazers for Wallace. and Wesley Person. The Hawks in turn traded Wallace to Detroit for Bob Sura, a scrub and a first round draft pick to the Hawks. That pick turned into Josh Smith.  So, basically, the Hawks traded Wallace for Josh Smith. They could had Wallace, Stephen Jackson,  and Jason Terry as a core.........

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I looked further into this and found out that Raheem, Ratliff and Dan Dickau were traded to the Trailblazers for Wallace. and Wesley Person. The Hawks in turn traded Wallace to Detroit for Bob Sura, a scrub and a first round draft pick to the Hawks. That pick turned into Josh Smith.  So, basically, the Hawks traded Wallace for Josh Smith. They could had Wallace, Stephen Jackson,  and Jason Terry as a core.........

Terry was not ready for prime time at that point in his career.  Rasheed wanted nothing to do with us.  Jackson was a mercurial player but talented.  I don't see them being a solid core.

• Like 1

Talent can look good on paper but doesn't mean it's going to work out well on the court.  Chemistry is huge.  Some of those teams looked real good offensively on paper and they didn't even sniff the playoffs.

There were also some teams that looked like they were built for a championship and didn't pan out - think of Payton/Malone on the Lakers or when the Rockets got Barkley.  That's why you can't just buy a championship.  It takes building a team the right way.  Almost makes it tougher when you have a lot of scorers and alpha dogs.  You have to find a way to distribute and some guys just have to take a back seat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Maaaan, i looked back on these squads because i knew that Rasheed Wallace was on it for ONE game. LOOK at the talent those squads had. HOW in the world did they not turn that into a playoff machine?? They MIGHT have if they had KEPT Rasheed.  In 2004 they added Josh Smith,  Antoine Walker and Tyron Lue and a slew of aging veteran guards in Jon Barry, Kenny Anderson, Tony Delk. HOW in the world couldnt they have tweaked and meshed those two rosters into something special??

Them ninjas had:

Rasheed Wallace ( one game) shouldve kept him.. - wanted nothing to do with Atlanta

Stephen Jackson - crazy

Shariff Abdul Raheem - played only on one side of the ball, offense and you value defense.

Boris Diaw - Rookie, did you see him play for the Hawks

Dion Glover - Really?

Al Henderson

Nazr Muhammed

Theo Ratliff

Bob Sura

Jason Terry

Jacque Vaughn

Individual talent that got better for leaving Atlanta and thy all ended up being complimentary pieces.

2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Sheed and Payton didn't want to be Hawks at all. Those teams were horrible.  I still hate Sar more than Smoove

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Individual talent that got better for leaving Atlanta and thy all ended up being complimentary pieces.

It looked good on PAPER........Jackson had a good one year with the hawks.  He averaged 18.1 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists. After the allstar break, he averaged 24 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.5 steals. HE GOT BETTER for the Hawks as the year went along.

In the ONE GAME Sheed played for the Hawks, he had 20 points, 6 rebounds, FIVE blocks and a steal. How is THAT not buying in........

Rasheed wasnt in control of where he was playing. He wouldve stayed focused  if the organization was doing CORRECT things. Diaw and Jackson became HUGE for the Spurs. Looks to me like it was a HAWKS ORGANIZATION issue, and not a PLAYER issue with most of these players....... 

Diaw, Terry, Wallace, Jackson, they ALL got rings after they left the Hawks.....

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Admin

We didn't have a point guard to run the offense (tried making Terry into one but he was a sg in a pg's body) and 0 chemistry ...  example of a team that looked good on paper but didn't translate to the court because these guys couldn't play well together.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

We didn't have a point guard to run the offense (tried making Terry into one but he was a sg in a pg's body) and 0 chemistry ...  example of a team that looked good on paper but didn't translate to the court because these guys couldn't play well together.  

Wasnt this the START of Billy Knight's love affair with drafting wings? Lets say them kept Terry, Wallace and Jackson as a core and drafted a point guard. In 2004, they couldve drafted Jamaar Nelson. Nn 2005, they bypassed CHRIS PAUL AND DERON WILLIAMS. they couldve had:

pg nelson, paul or williams

sg terry

sf jackson

pf wallace

c whoever, didnt matter........ 

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators

@Hawkmoor - you are coming across as someone who didn't live through this era with the team.  Trust those of us who were there - that team didn't have a contender core.  

On Sheed, he played one game where he was showcasing himself to get flipped.  Wallace chucked it up and had fun.  8-24 from the field.  How can anyone call that buying into staying in Atlanta after the season ended and he was an UFA?  

Who really sees this and says:

"Franchise Savior!!"

Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-7.57.34-PM.png

19 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Sheed and Payton didn't want to be Hawks at all. Those teams were horrible.  I still hate Sar more than Smoove

My recollection is that Rasheed really enjoyed playing with the Hawks for his one game.  I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like how much fun it was (implication being that he felt "free").  He seemed to genuinely enjoy it.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

that team was suppose to tank for D. Howard but Bobby Sura and company came to play and won alot of games that they were not suppose to win. That was a scrappy bunch that had alot of heart. 

Long term. Sheed still one of the most talented bigs I've seen. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

My recollection is that Rasheed really enjoyed playing with the Hawks for his one game.  I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like how much fun it was (implication being that he felt "free").  He seemed to genuinely enjoy it.  

Because he treated it as a joke.  For him, a game where he didn't care if the team won or not and could chuck to his heart content was fun.  I get that, but it just underlines how little respect he had for the team.

Bobby Sura aka platinum player haha....why did he have to play his heart out that year? Ya Sheed wasn't staying with us. We helped the Pistons win that year with Sheed and the Heat the following year with Antoine. I liked Al Harrington a lot more than Toine and his shimmy shimmy cocoa puff shake.