• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Increasing playing time for Mike Scott

TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators

Given that our big men past Sap and Horf are in disarray, I'm in for trying to hide Scott on the opponent's least threatening frontcourt option and see how it goes.  He definitely could help with his perimeter shooting.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

A system that would take advantage of their strengths not their weaknesses.  A weakness of this team is shooting the basketball but Bud's system hangs it hat on his players being able to shoot the basketball especially from 3.  The Hawks have to lead the league in 3 point attempts behind only a few other teams.  If Bud was the coach of the Warriors, they might be undefeated because the Warriors have the personnel Bud needs.  Instead Bud has the anti-Warriors but still wants them to play like them.

Atlanta is the #9 team in FG% and #11 team in 3pt%.  Shooting seems like a modest advantage for our squad.

I'd be interested to hear what you would do differently.  If it involves posting up Horford or something that could be problematic.  Just talking about utilizing the existing personnel.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, AHF said:

Atlanta is the #9 team in FG% and #11 team in 3pt%.  Shooting seems like a modest advantage for our squad.

I'd be interested to hear what you would do differently.  If it involves posting up Horford or something that could be problematic.  Just talking about utilizing the existing personnel.  

The Hawks don't have 1 player in the top 15 in 3 point shooting percentage...The Warriors have 3.  The Hawks get easier and more open shots than other teams because of their ball movement.  At one point they were top 3 in uncontested shots in the league...may still be there but I'm to lazy to look it up.  Of those uncontested shots, they were 17th in made uncontested shots.  So outside shooting isn't their strength...Passing is but we still don't score enough points to offset the disregard for the other aspects of the game namely rebounding.  As for what I would have done differently...I would have constructed the team diffently with more of an Emphasis on quality bigs...Instead of continuing the obsession with acquiring more and more guards, I would have looked into a few small forwards Like GR111 and certainly would have drafted Bobby Portis over the trade.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

A system that would take advantage of their strengths not their weaknesses.  A weakness of this team is shooting the basketball but Bud's system hangs it hat on his players being able to shoot the basketball especially from 3.  The Hawks have to lead the league in 3 point attempts behind only a few other teams.  If Bud was the coach of the Warriors, they might be undefeated because the Warriors have the personnel Bud needs.  Instead Bud has the anti-Warriors but still wants them to play like them.

You are telling me what he shouldn't do instead what he should. What system should he run.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You are telling me what he shouldn't do instead what he should. What system should he run.

I'll copy my reply to AHF

As for what I would have done differently...I would have constructed the team differently with more of an Emphasis on quality bigs...Instead of continuing the obsession with acquiring more and more guards, I would have looked into a few small forwards Like GR111 and certainly would have drafted Bobby Portis over the trade.

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'll copy my reply to AHF

As for what I would have done differently...I would have constructed the team differently with more of an Emphasis on quality bigs...Instead of continuing the obsession with acquiring more and more guards, I would have looked into a few small forwards Like GR111 and certainly would have drafted Bobby Portis over the trade.

And do you think by adding GRIII and Portis the system would change? 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

And do you think by adding GRIII and Portis the system would change? 

its a start in the right direct to build with young talent...I know you impatient Hawk fans want to either win a championship or blow things up but adding two 21 year olds with a lot of talent would have been more of a boast to this program over THjr and Tiago Splitter period.  Plus i might have gone in a different direction than Millsap.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

By the way, we are 18th in the league in 3pt. shooting percentage

You are right.  We are only 18th in 3pt%.

In TS%, we are 5th in the league, though, so I think the point stands.  We do a fine job shooting the ball even though we aren't comparable to GS.

1 Golden State Warriors 0.591834
2 San Antonio Spurs 0.57041
3 Oklahoma City Thunder 0.563204
4 Los Angeles Clippers 0.554869
5 Atlanta Hawks 0.550399
6 Cleveland Cavaliers 0.550084
7 Houston Rockets 0.549635
8 Toronto Raptors 0.549016
9 Sacramento Kings 0.548128
10 Washington Wizards 0.542567
11 Minnesota Timberwolves 0.54181
12 Utah Jazz   0.54151
13 Portland Trail Blazers 0.541212
14 Dallas Mavericks 0.539483
15 League Average 0.538733
16 Charlotte Hornets 0.537259
17 New Orleans Pelicans 0.535278
18 Miami Heat 0.534863
19 Milwaukee Bucks 0.533598
20 Indiana Pacers 0.533316
21 Boston Celtics 0.532327
22 Phoenix Suns 0.529617
23 Memphis Grizzlies 0.529501
24 Orlando Magic 0.528297
25 New York Knicks 0.52759
26 Denver Nuggets 0.527197
27 Brooklyn Nets 0.522803
28 Chicago Bulls 0.52009
29 Philadelphia 76ers 0.520063
30 Detroit Pistons 0.51394
31 Los Angeles Lakers 0.507772

I also didn't see anything that Bud the coach should be doing differently right now. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are right.  We are only 18th in 3pt%.

In TS%, we are 5th in the league, though, so I think the point stands.  We do a fine job shooting the ball even though we aren't comparable to GS.

1 Golden State Warriors 0.591834
2 San Antonio Spurs 0.57041
3 Oklahoma City Thunder 0.563204
4 Los Angeles Clippers 0.554869
5 Atlanta Hawks 0.550399
6 Cleveland Cavaliers 0.550084
7 Houston Rockets 0.549635
8 Toronto Raptors 0.549016
9 Sacramento Kings 0.548128
10 Washington Wizards 0.542567
11 Minnesota Timberwolves 0.54181
12 Utah Jazz   0.54151
13 Portland Trail Blazers 0.541212
14 Dallas Mavericks 0.539483
15 League Average 0.538733
16 Charlotte Hornets 0.537259
17 New Orleans Pelicans 0.535278
18 Miami Heat 0.534863
19 Milwaukee Bucks 0.533598
20 Indiana Pacers 0.533316
21 Boston Celtics 0.532327
22 Phoenix Suns 0.529617
23 Memphis Grizzlies 0.529501
24 Orlando Magic 0.528297
25 New York Knicks 0.52759
26 Denver Nuggets 0.527197
27 Brooklyn Nets 0.522803
28 Chicago Bulls 0.52009
29 Philadelphia 76ers 0.520063
30 Detroit Pistons 0.51394
31 Los Angeles Lakers 0.507772

I also didn't see anything that Bud the coach should be doing differently right now. 

IS TS a measure of a team or player's ability to shoot jump shots? or 3's

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

IS TS a measure of a team or player's ability to shoot jump shots? or 3's

It measures the combined efficiency on every shot taken (accounting for volume, points, etc.) including dunks, layups, jumpers, 3pts, free throws, etc.  It is the best measure of overall shooting efficiency.  That tells me the offense is getting us good shots and we are converting them at a very good overall rate.  When you think about TS%, it rewards people like Steph Curry, Jordan, Duncan, etc. and punishes the low efficiency  volume shooters like Allen Iverson, Jordan Crawford, Rudy Gay, etc.  It is not the be-all, end-all stat for offense but is a very good one for scoring efficiency.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, AHF said:

It measures the combined efficiency on every shot taken (accounting for volume, points, etc.) including dunks, layups, jumpers, 3pts, free throws, etc.  It is the best measure of overall shooting efficiency.  That tells me the offense is getting us good shots and we are converting them at a very good overall rate.  When you think about TS%, it rewards people like Steph Curry, Jordan, Duncan, etc. and punishes the low efficiency  volume shooters like Allen Iverson, Jordan Crawford, Rudy Gay, etc.  It is not the be-all, end-all stat for offense but is a very good one for scoring efficiency.

Understood ...but 3 point shooting percentage is a better measure of how well the team shoots 3's correct?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Understood ...but 3 point shooting percentage is a better measure of how well the team shoots 3's correct?

Right.  And TS% shows how they shoot on all shots.  Which shows very good performance on shooting.

I agree totally that they are 18th in 3pt shooting and that I screwed up sorting the numbers to come up with 11th yesterday.

I'm wondering what change we should make to our offense that would result in a higher TS% than we have today.  I have a hard time seeing much that would move the needle in the right way.

Talking about roster building in the offseason is a different issue than utilizing the existing roster.

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, AHF said:

Right.  And TS% shows how they shoot on all shots.  Which shows very good performance on shooting.

I agree totally that they are 18th in 3pt shooting and that I screwed up sorting the numbers to come up with 11th yesterday.

I'm wondering what change we should make to our offense that would result in a higher TS% than we have today.  I have a hard time seeing much that would move the needle in the right way.

Talking about roster building in the offseason is a different issue than utilizing the existing roster.

If you have total control, you can't separate the acquisition players and the designed style of play.  The fact is that when the coach implement a system and deliberately avoid better players because they don't fit his system and that system doesn't preform well then it is the coach's fault plain and simple.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If you have total control, you can't separate the acquisition players and the style of play designed.  The fact is that when the coach implement a system and deliberately avoid better players because they don't fit his system and that system doesn't preform well then it is the coach's fault plain and simple.

I'm a fan of Bud the coach.  

Bud with final say on roster I'm not sold.

They are different issues in my book.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He should gear the offense even more toward Horford and Millsap.  Horford especially needs more touches and shots.  I loved how aggressive he came out in the Warriors game.

13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He should gear the offense even more toward Horford and Millsap.  Horford especially needs more touches and shots.  I loved how aggressive he came out in the Warriors game.

I agree, but a lot of that is on Horford. Too many times he gets the ball and doesn't even look at the basket. If he's that aggressive with his touches we'd be better off.

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm a fan of Bud the coach.  

Bud with final say on roster I'm not sold.

They are different issues in my book.

Agreed. We need a GM. Wilcox isn't a GM, he's an assistant at best. And Bud should not be relied on to carry out both duties. (Somewhere @kg01 is laughing because I said duties). I know fat Van gundy does it or whatever but personally I need Bud to focus on coaching. 

Also I don't think Scott is a starter in the NBA but when we've lost 4 in a row at home and are seriously struggling, you might as well experiment before the playoffs start. If I was Bud, this would be my starting lineup next game.

pg- Dennis

sg- Thabo

sf- Scott

pf- Sap

c- Horford

id sit Teague, Baze and Korver and bring them off the bench. Now I realize that starting group might have a few holes in it on both offense and defense, but we have to try something new.