Increasing playing time for Mike Scott

TheNorthCydeRises

It's to the point now where Bud pretty much has no choice but to play his best players.  These next 7 games could literally knock us to the bottom of the playoff pack, with no way to catch Miami to win the division.  Its do or die time for this squad.

Bud isn't going to play Edy, or simply believes he is not ready.  And Moose just isn't a reliable big man on the NBA level.  So I say Bud needs to increase the playing time of Mike Scott.  

Like most of the team, he's in a little bit of a funk right now, but he's been a bright spot off the bench for most of the season.  So how can the Hawks increase Scott's minutes?

Millsap at C - Scott at PF 

This is a combination that you hardly ever see, but we did see it in 3 very short stints last night ( and in the Miami game as well ).  

If the goal of the Hawks is to keep their best players on the floor, and they're not going to give Tavares a chance to play backup center, playing Millsap more at center vs backups may be our best option.  This will increase the playing time of Scott, and give him more of a chance to affect the game with his offense.

Of course, this may adversely affect us defensively, but we may not have much of a choice in this.  Muscala is poor defensively, like Scott, while Millsap is our best defensive player.

Best case scenario would be for Millsap to play more like Draymond Green at the 5 spot, while being physical enough on defense to keep people off the boards and stay out of foul trouble.  This may enable Scott to dramatically increase his minutes.

Minutes breakdown

PF:  Millsap ( 24 ) - Scott ( 24 )

C:  Horford (  36 ) - Millsap ( 12 )

This would mean that Scott is playing 10 - 12 minute stretches in the middle of each half, while the Hawks keep a combination of Horford, Millsap, and Scott on the floor at all times.

Scott at SF

Some of you guys have been calling for Scott to start at SF.  This may work for short stretches, but I don't know about extended minutes at the 3 for him.

Offensively, he could definitely do it.  He's shown to be a good enough deep range shooter overall to stretch the defense.  And you can put him in the post, where he definitely has enough skill to score in that area.

Defensively, it could be a nightmare, with Scott not being aware or quick enough to rotate out to 3 point shooters.  And unless he's getting help, guarding a slashing ball handling SF will be a problem as well.

You do have to wonder though, if a frontcourt of Horford - Millsap - Scott ... along with a Thabo and Teague/Dennis lineup at times, could be very effective.

From a rebounding perspective, that may be the best group we could put out on the floor.

• Like 2

Im all for it. I think whatever defensive liabilities he gives up, he makes it up on the offensive end. Sometimes, guys just need MINUTES to get a permanent groove. Heck, Korver was borderline nobody until he became a starter with the Hawks. I feel the same is happening to Scott and THJ.  Take minutes from Baze and Korver and see what you got in Scott and THJ.

• Like 1

I never really cared for who starts a game but rather who is on the court in the closing minutes when it matters most.

However, our starters have been digging themselves into too many big holes this season - and it's always the same excuse - we didn't come out with intensity and ready to play, blah, blah , blah.  GET - IT -TOGETHER!!!

The biggest issue with my Mike Scott is his limitations in his man defense. His team defending is fine but his man defense is always a mismatch. Even more than others on the roster. Add the fact that he's extremely streaky on offense and you got a player in flux

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

The biggest issue with my Mike Scott is his limitations in his man defense. His team defending is fine but his man defense is always a mismatch. Even more than others on the roster. Add the fact that he's extremely streaky on offense and you got a player in flux

So in other words ... he's the PF version of Kyle Korver

12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So in other words ... he's the PF version of Kyle Korver

Kyle is very impactful due to his player movement, attention he demands on offense and his advantage of making his man work to get the  ball on defense. Mike doesn't bring that to the table.

• Like 1

If this team even gets to the playoffs (and we're at this point sadly), it's going to have to be a 9 deep rotation with only 3 bigs or swallow pride and put a rookie on the floor. Putting Muscala on the floor will just lead to disastrous results.

In fact honestly they need to go into playoff mode NOW or risk letting the season go from you so...

Token start Sefolosha instead of starting the out of control Bazemore, and let Hardaway Jr be the first sub. If Hardaway Jr plays well, finish out games with both Sefolosha and Hardaway Jr on the floor.

Muscala out of the rotation again, but this time not for anyone, just to go 9 deep.

• Like 2

What has happened to our defense?  Teams are regularly scoring over 100 points on Atlanta.

I know.  Rebounding.  We have a young center, well over 7 ft. who can rebound and he's not

trusted to play.  Why?  He might cause the Hawks to lose!   Really?  And, what are they doing now?

He's too young.  Too slow.  Too stupid to play center.  He doesn't know how.  Yep.  Excuses.

Hawks have a SF who turns the ball over at a regular clip.  Why?  He's been trying too hard, we

are told.  He needs to learn to relax.  Yet, he continues to play and Edy can't smell the floor.  Excuses.

Curry is not human.  He is a machine and right now, no one can stop him.  We saw that Monday night.

Golden State usually plays all the 4th quarter with their bench players.  Not against Atlanta.  They

were forced to use their starters late in the game.  We're THAT good, but not good enough.  If the

Hawks had been that good in our 2 previous losses, perhaps they would have not lost.  Excuses.

Why is it, every game, Atlanta is almost, but not quiet, good enough, regardless of who they play?

We need better play and fewer excuses.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

What has happened to our defense?  Teams are regularly scoring over 100 points on Atlanta.

I know.  Rebounding.  We have a young center, well over 7 ft. who can rebound and he's not

trusted to play.  Why?  He might cause the Hawks to lose!   Really?  And, what are they doing now?

He's too young.  Too slow.  Too stupid to play center.  He doesn't know how.  Yep.  Excuses.

Hawks have a SF who turns the ball over at a regular clip.  Why?  He's been trying too hard, we

are told.  He needs to learn to relax.  Yet, he continues to play and Edy can't smell the floor.  Excuses.

Curry is not human.  He is a machine and right now, no one can stop him.  We saw that Monday night.

Golden State usually plays all the 4th quarter with their bench players.  Not against Atlanta.  They

were forced to use their starters late in the game.  We're THAT good, but not good enough.  If the

Hawks had been that good in our 2 previous losses, perhaps they would have not lost.  Excuses.

Why is it, every game, Atlanta is almost, but not quiet, good enough, regardless of who they play?

We need better play and fewer excuses.

Coaching!

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Coaching!

Bud is missing a lot of shots at the rim, and 4 consecutive free throws and turning the ball over all willy nilly, yep it's Bud fault.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bud is missing a lot of shots at the rim, and 4 consecutive free throws and turning the ball over all willy nilly, yep it's Bud fault.

Bud continues to run a system not suitable for the players on his current roster.  A roster he altered from last year to his liking.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud continues to run a system not suitable for the players on his current roster.  A roster he altered from last year to his liking.

80% of the starting lineup is back, plus most of the same bench that won 60 games. 

So if you're telling me that Not having DMC and Pero should cause Bud to change the entire  system....mmmmm, OK.

He's played 1% of his minutes at 3.  Bud ain't having that.

I'm not encouraged by the prospect of him playing more minites.  Too many glaring holes with the streakiness, man defense, and never getting to the line.  If he continues to rebound like he has lately I won't bitch though.  Bud has clearly given him a directive to do better and he has, ironically in his slimmer state.  He used to be built like the smallest version of Sullinger.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

80% of the starting lineup is back, plus most of the same bench that won 60 games. 

So if you're telling me that Not having DMC and Pero should cause Bud to change the entire  system....mmmmm, OK.

Bud has no starting 3's on this team with a bunch of back up 2's alternating @ the 3 to go along with the rest of his under sized line ups.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

He's played 1% of his minutes at 3.  Bud ain't having that.

I'm not encouraged by the prospect of him playing more minites.  Too many glaring holes with the streakiness, man defense, and never getting to the line.  If he continues to rebound like he has lately I won't bitch though.  Bud has clearly given him a directive to do better and he has, ironically in his slimmer state.  He used to be built like the smallest version of Sullinger.

Thank God the Hawks have so many other options with no holes in their games.  Oh Wait:blink:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud has no starting 3's on this team with a bunch of back up 2's alternating @ the 3 to go along with the rest of his under sized line ups.

I don't dispute we have an issue at the SF position,  that doesn't mean you change an ENTIRE system that 1 year previous was successful particularly when the majority of the same players are back.

I just don't get your point.

Bud is not perfect and some of his rotations and in game adjustments can use some work, but I will keep pointing out that he is in year 3 of his coaching tenure.

What system should Bud be running based on this personnel? 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't dispute we have an issue at the SF position,  that doesn't mean you change an ENTIRE system that 1 year previous was successful particularly when the majority of the same players are back.

I just don't get your point.

Bud is not perfect and some of his rotations and in game adjustments can use some work, but I will keep pointing out that he is in year 3 of his coaching tenure.

What system should Bud be running based on this personnel? 

A system that would take advantage of their strengths not their weaknesses.  A weakness of this team is shooting the basketball but Bud's system hangs it hat on his players being able to shoot the basketball especially from 3.  The Hawks have to lead the league in 3 point attempts behind only a few other teams.  If Bud was the coach of the Warriors, they might be undefeated because the Warriors have the personnel Bud needs.  Instead Bud has the anti-Warriors but still wants them to play like them.