• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves Season Ticket Holders and Amazon Prime

Errr, here's a screen shot of the map

Screenshot_2016-04-22-10-08-23_kindlepho

The site let's you toggle different race maps.

But presuming you trust Amazon in their statements of how they choose to offer their same day service, race isn't used in the model but only Prime subscribers, infrastructure, and incomes. If those factors that Amazon uses for determining where to serve are similar to the Braves fanbase, well then that'd go a long way in explaining a Cobb stadium.

• Premium Member

My sense is that most corporations only see one color:  green.  It is all about the Benjamins.  And these maps are good examples.  It is why so much money is spent figuring out demographics.  They all want to maximize profits.  Knowing who is black/white, old/young, and male/female is usually a byproduct of that.  I am sure there are exceptions, but overall this is the sense I get from these decisions.

2 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

They all want to maximize profits.  Knowing who is black/white, old/young, and male/female is usually a byproduct of that.  I am sure there are exceptions, but overall this is the sense I get from these decisions.

Just to clarify, you mean that black/white, old/young, and male/female differences that may exist in maps like this are through incomes? I don't think you're implying Amazon uses those distinctions for predicting incomes, but I could be wrong.

• Premium Member

I am saying that these maps look at who buy a product.  For example, the map showing season ticket holders.  The Braves move is to be closer to the season ticket holders (at least in part, how much it factored into the move depends on who you ask).  The demographics of gender, income, race, etc is not the motivator for the company.  Money is he motivator. (i.e. Move closer to the season ticket buyers = sell more tickets, concessions, etc).

And no, I am not implying demographics are used for predicting incomes.  Sorry if I was not clear.  It is actually the opposite.  They care about money.  All the rest of it, demographics, etc do not matter at all unless there is a way they can exploit it for more money.  Hence why companies only see "green".

• Moderators

But then there's the Hawks situation which adds another layer to the discussion.   They, like the Braves, believed that the holy grail of affluent suburbanites were the key to their success.   Only when Koonin threw that out the window and went after, not just african americans, but all intown fans did they really see interest in the team increase.   You can say basketball and baseball are different demographics, which is true, but the Braves have been heavily marketing to the outside-of-atlanta area for years.   They play country and classic rock music almost exclusively.   Before last year there was increasing interest in the Braves in terms of partying and tailgating for games from the young, intown crowd.   The Braves did very little to capitalize on that.