• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bob Pettit - best Hawks forward ever...

DJlaysitup

If Atlanta had Pettit, in his prime, on the team today, they would still be in the playoffs, I believe.

One year he led the league in scoring AND rebounding.  In 1958 Pettit led the Hawks to their only

NBA championship.  Hard to argue with success!

• Like 2

Would have loved to have seen that era of basketball. Sounds like he was a level above just about everyone else and was a Hawk to boot. Really would be nice to see a Hawks championship wether its from the 50's or now. By the way I turned 60 years old today. Dinner in town tonight.

• Like 4

Thank you Gray Mule. Every Birthday has been great but I have to say six decades feels a good bit more special. I also like special occasion dinners with my wife, Angela. A good night ahead!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Happy Birthday, @Thomas!

On Pettit, he was the best Hawk ever.  Interesting note is that the Hawks could have paired him and Bill Russell together.  The Hawks drafted Russell at #2 overall in 1956.  Instead, they chose to trade Russell to the Celtics.   Pettit and Russell were two of the most dominant players of their era.  At least we got a ring, but it could have been a lot more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Happy Birthday, @Thomas!

On Pettit, he was the best Hawk ever.  Interesting note is that the Hawks could have paired him and Bill Russell together.  The Hawks drafted Russell at #2 overall in 1956.  Instead, they chose to trade Russell to the Celtics.   Pettit and Russell were two of the most dominant players of their era.  At least we got a ring, but it could have been a lot more.

So we've  been cursed since then?

The best rebounder on the planet and an all time great forward on the same Hawk's team would have been that dream come true feeling. Who was Russell traded for? Thanks for the Birthday wish.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So we've  been cursed since then?

Pettit and the Hawks lost the NBA finals to Russel in 1957 and beat Russell's Celtics in 1958 so I don't think that counts as cursed.  Just a missed shot at something even more historic.

Being one of the last four teams last year and last eight teams this year left in the playoffs doesn't sound cursed. Swept we were but we competed a lot better these past two seasons than most years before in Atlanta. Nique didn't make it the ECF ever. If Bird was a major reason then, guess what, LeBron is the major reason now. We are very good which is not what we all want, we want more, a title. I believe we have the right coaching staff. Improving on the mistakes of Bud especially late in games and finding or rapidly developing a true finisher on the floor can move us up now. But cursed is an exaggeration.  That would be the 76ers and others.