• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks/Mavs

Mavs get: Baze and THJ

Hawks get : Wes Matthews

Why for Mavs: Need to get younger quick and they have no shot at the playoffs.

Why for us: Wes is a perfect fit on our team on both sides if the ball. We need a vet like him to add to our perimeter threat. He is an ideal fit, and bonus, he's played with Sap and Korver in Utah so chemistry can be built again quickly.

IMG_7500.PNG

Edited by Spud2Nique

43 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The trade works without including Hardaway also but don't know if they'd be interested.  Matthews would be a big upgrade for us at SG.   I'd do it.  Not sure about Dallas though.

Looking around the league at who could be available for us from the western conference and I feel as though he fits the bill for a two way veteran with great perimeter scoring. The price could be a bit steep if a lot of other teams desire Wes, but I think we should entertain and offer a package for him. 

Honestly, he could bump us from a top 12 team (which I'm assuming is our rank currently) to a top 5 and make us a contender.

I feel the deal is definitely possible to go straight Baze for Wes numbers wise but I think we have to sweeten the deal with THJ or maybe the Minny pick. At this point...

Wes>Baze+THJ or Baze+Minny pick

Dennis/Delaney

Wes/Korver

Thabo/Prince

Sap/Moose/Hump

Howard/Splitter (lol maybe sometime never lol)

That team is east finals in my humble opinion.

@Spud2Nique  Yes the trade works salary wise, and just as @macdaddy said, it also works without THJr. (I would not include him)

Why would Dallas do this?  If Dirk is retiring at the end of the season and they are re-building.  Bazemore is 3 years younger than Wes, the contracts are similar over the guaranteed portions, saves Dallas $3 million (Baze's last year is a player option). I wouldn't add the Minny 1st. We have a 2017 Brooklyn 2nd which should be picks 1-4 in 2nd round.

I would also like to add Bogut(expiring) to the trade (he is currently out but should be back) - we send them Splitter.

Baze, Splitter, Brooklyn 2017 2nd and future 2nd for Wes and Bogut.

Nice @JayBirdHawk. Yes @macdaddy is a very helpful young lad. Oh man if we could get Bogut I'd love it. Big time defender in the middle, huge lift on the playoffs.

Agreed that Dallas might not love this deal but Baze is not only 3 years younger but also no significant injuries whereas Wes had the ACL thing a while back. 

I want this deal deal so bad I'd be willing to throw the Minny future 1st. I'm just saying if we are a win now team, this can't hurt us. If we aren't, then stop faking the funk and tear it down.

Thanks @JayBirdHawk for the info.

7 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Nice @JayBirdHawk. Yes @macdaddy is a very helpful young lad. Oh man if we could get Bogut I'd love it. Big time defender in the middle, huge lift on the playoffs.

Agreed that Dallas might not love this deal but Baze is not only 3 years younger but also no significant injuries whereas Wes had the ACL thing a while back. 

I want this deal deal so bad I'd be willing to throw the Minny future 1st. I'm just saying if we are a win now team, this can't hurt us. If we aren't, then stop faking the funk and tear it down.

Thanks @JayBirdHawk for the info.

I wonder if we can add additional protection on the Minny pick from our end. So if Minny makes the playoffs in 2018 as a #8 seed we get pick #15.  If we trade it to Dallas we add protection on it so that if it falls withing picks 15-20 we keep it.  If it falls outside of that it is conveyed to Dallas. same nbr of years protection 2018, 2019 and 2010.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wonder if we can add additional protection on the Minny pick from our end. So if Minny makes the playoffs in 2018 as a #8 seed we get pick #15.  If we trade it to Dallas we add protection on it so that if it falls withing picks 15-20 we keep it.  If it falls outside of that it is conveyed to Dallas. same nbr of years protection 2018, 2019 and 2010.

Stipulating our draft picks before shipping them off? Smart! That would be great protection for us because ur right with our luck...we trade the pick and Minny gets #15.

:-|

Greetings from tha 'sac,

Pretty sure Spud2 stole this trade idea from tha kang01.

But seriously, I'm wondering if we should kinda go the other way.  A Matthews acquisition represents a 'go for it' moov, for sure.  But are we still at that point?

I'd almost prefer to trade Sap in a step-back-to-step-forward moov instead.  Try to pick up a young up 'n comer, and a 1st.  Try to get younger and thereby raise our prospective ceiling.

Matthews makes us better but how much better is the question.

Conventional thinking says, for the forseeable future, the East is CLE's.  Once they begin to fade, who'll be there to pick up the slack?  Teams like MIL and an Atlantic division team are compiling talent and assets and are young enough to grow together.  By the time CLE falls off, they'll be the class of the East.

Where will we be at that time?  We're cappin' out to try to win a rock-fight against CLE today while they're loading up nuclear weapons.  Sigh.  I think I got the holiday blues.  That ridiculous loss last night didn't help.  I'm jus' gonna curl up in my snuggy and listen to some Alanis Morrissette (sp?).

13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Greetings from tha 'sac,

But seriously, I'm wondering if we should kinda go the other way.  A Matthews acquisition represents a 'go for it' moov, for sure.  But are we still at that point?

I'd almost prefer to trade Sap in a step-back-to-step-forward moov instead.  Try to pick up a young up 'n comer, and a 1st.  Try to get younger and thereby raise our prospective ceiling.

Conventional thinking says, for the forseeable future, the East is CLE's.  Once they begin to fade, who'll be there to pick up the slack?  Teams like MIL and an Atlantic division team are compiling talent and assets and are young enough to grow together.  By the time CLE falls off, they'll be the class of the East.

Where will we be at that time?  We're cappin' out to try to win a rock-fight against CLE today while they're loading up nuclear weapons.  Sigh.  I think I got the holiday blues.  That ridiculous loss last night didn't help.  I'm jus' gonna curl up in my snuggy and listen to some Alanis Morrissette (sp?).

lcbLM6m.gif

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Greetings from tha 'sac,

Lmmfao hahahaha greeting from the sac lmao oh my god that's hilarious that just made my day :-)

Ummmm, how did I steal this trade from you? I'm looking all over and can't find a trade where you wanted Wes. Hmmm...

I feel you on the taking a step back and I wanted to do that. It's just Bud loves veterans and staying the course so much I figure we would give him a new toy for Xmas in Wes.

I'm not at the rebuild point but I'm really close. I need to see the next 10 games, and then we'll see from there.

There's gotta be a correction against below .500 teams. But it's probably not going to happen because teams with young athletic wings have bothered the Hawks even with Horford.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lmmfao hahahaha greeting from the sac lmao oh my god that's hilarious that just made my day :-)

Ummmm, how did I steal this trade from you? I'm looking all over and can't find a trade where you wanted Wes. Hmmm...

I feel you on the taking a step back and I wanted to do that. It's just Bud loves veterans and staying the course so much I figure we would give him a new toy for Xmas in Wes.

Look in Millsap trade ideas I think.

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How about they throw in JJ Barea.  Saves them a little money next year and gives us a tough backup PG who I guarantee can get the ball to Dwight.

I love JJ...all heart! Do it! Although he's a bit banged up right now.

Somehow figuring out how to acquire Wes Matthews and JJ Barea would help a lot, but not be a total fix to the problems this team has had. It'd fix the backup PG issues and bring in a guard that can play as an off guard and sometimes initiate offense, which is badly needed.

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Somehow figuring out how to acquire Wes Matthews and JJ Barea would help a lot, but not be a total fix to the problems this team has had. It'd fix the backup PG issues and bring in a guard that can play as an off guard and sometimes initiate offense, which is badly needed.

I think Wesley Matthews would be a good starting SG for as long as the Dwight/Sap era lasts.  Couple that with Dennis and hopefully Prince, that's a pretty starting lineup.   Barea, Bembry, Korver, Thabo, Scott, Hump, Moose on the bench will hold us this year.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Just say no to JJ Barea.  Novelty act/sideshow at best.

That's what i used to think.   The dude is averaging 14/5 with 3+ rebounds a game as a 6 foot (yeah right) PG.  Plus shooting 37% from 3 and 96% from the line.     I'd take that novelty act anyday considering what we have on this roster.    Add to that the way a similar short novelty act PG punked us in the playoffs 2 years ago and it seems like a great idea.  

Only real downside to Barea I can see is his age, thirty two. Four million for a guy that is clutch often surely could help especially since he can put the ball on the floor, one of our anemias right now. Been a few years but he certainly helped Dirk get his ring and Barea spent minutes at both guard spots which sounds a bit impossible with his size I know. Zero risk there.

• Like 1