• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What actually happened for the Hawks at the trade deadline

thecampster

Lets just clarify what happened. On Friday, Lamar Patterson's 2nd 10 day runs out. With Patterson, the Hawks have 15 players on the roster. The Hawks removed 2 players who weren't playing from the roster. 1 who is a perpetual injury and 1 who may spend the next couple of years in jail. The replaced them with an extremely hard working, borderline starter, in Ilyasova and Anderson. Their 3 point shooting improved, a sorely lacking need. Their hustle improved....which on some nights has been non-existent.

But something much more important happened. In the Ilyasova deal, the Hawks save a prorated 1 million in cap hit (about $300,000 this season) and in the  Scott deal (effectively Scott for Anderson), 2.3 million (about $800,000 this season). Over the next weeks, multiple teams are going to waive vet players who have a chance to catch on with a team. I expect the Hawks not to sign Patterson for the rest of the year (though I'm wrong often when it comes to Patterson) and save that roster spot to pick up a waived vet.

A few of the known waived players are: Deron Williams (expected to go to the Cavs), Jared Sulliger, Matt Barnes, Derrick Williams, Anderson Varejao, Troy Williams...there will be more but these are the known commodities right now. Pretty much anyone here will be signed for the rest of the season for the vet minimum. 

The real benefit of these trades comes after the off-season. The moves free up over 3 million in cap space for next season when the Hawks, A) need to resign Paul and B) need to get him some help.

yep, just saw that....guess that means they can't find any other ball-handling help

1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

Anderson? I hope you're not happy because you think we got Ryan Anderson when it is Ryan Kelly we actually signed.

News flash not all tall honkies look alike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you tell I was reading multiple articles while typing this?

• Like 2