• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Same Ole Atlanta United

• Moderators

An off-day for Hawks fans should allow a few more peepers directed Atlanta United's Way! The Five Stripes are up in Canada, and meet Toronto FC on the pitch tonight (7:30 PM Eastern, Fox Sports South).

Toronto is undefeated, with one win and three draws (1-3-0) over four games, and they've allowed the fewest goals (2) among MLS sides. Only Tim Howard's Colorado Rapids have allowed fewer shots-on-goal per game so far. Striker Jozy Altidore leads Toronto with two goals and eight shots (four on-goal).

~lw3

• Like 1

On 4/2/2017 at 11:17 AM, High5 said:

I can't catch these games to save my life. I thought they'd all be on Sat/Sun so I made sure to check Saturday morning and the game was on Friday. I'm not too sad about missing a 0-0 tie, though. 

Watching the Hawks John Drew score fifty points plus when I was a good bit younger may have just ruined me for the soccer stuff. 0-0 is just not enough for me really. Give it a try here and there and will admit that crazy shat in Minny did remind me of Montana playing for the small college football championship trophy a good bit. CFL stuff as well. So I'll keep giving it a go. An Atlanta team after all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Watching the Hawks John Drew score fifty points plus when I was a bit younger may have just ruined me for the soccer stuff. 0-0 is just not enough for me really. Give it a try here and there and will admit that crazy shat in Minny did remind me of Montana playing for the small college championship trophy a good bit. CFL stuff as well. So I'll keep giving it a go. An Atlanta team after all. 

Would Drew crack your all time Hawks starting lineup? I never saw him play I got on board a few years after him.

15 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Would Drew crack your all time Hawks starting lineup? I never saw him play I got on board a few years after him.

Bear in mind he and Nique would compete for playing time at SF, so no. But as a regular season cat he was ridiculous and against Washington in the playoffs when they had E, Drew was awesome. Generally though his percentages went way down in the playoffs other than that series. Still loved him dearly. NBA entertainment at its best man. The best glass shooter before Pippen and Duncan I can remember.

54 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Bear in mind he and Nique would compete for playing time at SF, so no. But as a regular season cat he was ridiculous and against Washington in the playoffs when they had E, Drew was awesome. Generally though his percentages went way down in the playoffs other than that series. Still loved him dearly. NBA entertainment at its best man. The best glass shooter before Pippen and Duncan I can remember.

Hmmm..that's a tough one. On one hand I wouldn't not start Nique over any Hawk ever, on the other hand if your mentioning him with names like Pippen and Duncan then I dunno. We can slide him in as a stretch 4 as the kids like to say. Lol.

• Moderators

Two road games, against the two reigning MLS finalists... two draws!

Solid work by the new guys. That red card on Yamil Asad was a crime, tho. But the squad sure held up with just ten men on the pitch, and had a couple chances to win, too!

~lw3

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Hmmm..that's a tough one. On one hand I wouldn't not start Nique over any Hawk ever, on the other hand if your mentioning him with names like Pippen and Duncan then I dunno. We can slide him in as a stretch 4 as the kids like to say. Lol.

Guess that team's theme would be to outscore everyone by getting as many shots up as humanly possible per game because there is no defensive pedigree with either guy. Both were a blast to watch and helped win a lot of games won though.

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Guess that team's theme would be to outscore everyone by getting as many shots up as humanly possible per game because there is no defensive pedigree with either guy. Both were a blast to watch and a lot of games won.

My friend in high school always teased me about being a Hawks fan. Living in Cali, they'd always say the Hawks were like a donut, great on the outside with Webb, Rivers, Nique and Willis..with a big hole in the middle in koncak. Apparently this team woukd just be the actual donut holes....(ya, I swear I was going somewhere with this..) :-|

5 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

with a big hole in the middle in koncak

That one good playoff series he had at PF instead of his time at C against Detroit burned us into infamy. Did the Pistons really want him that bad, really? We just got pokered so badly back then.   

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

That one good playoff series he had at PF instead of his time at C against Detroit burned us into infamy. Did the Pistons really want him that bad, really? We just got pokered so badly back then.   

Didn't they pluck Hastings from us? Dang we really should have let them have Koncak. But with Zeke, I'm sure Koncak would have prolly ended up comeback player of the year or most improved or something. Just our luck.

9 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Hastings got a ring with the Pistons I think but not positive how he got there. Your making my brain hurt cat.

I think he was a free agent signing but not sure...lemme check...

13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Hastings got a ring with the Pistons I think but not positive how he got there. Your making my brain hurt cat.

We lost Hastings to the Heat in the 88 expansion draft..I total forgot about that, then the Pistons signed him as an unrestricted FA in 89 where he won his one and only NBA ring in 1990. 

Ps I think he was the replacement for Mahorn after the Pistons lost him to the Wolves in the 89 expansion draft I'm pretty sure. 

• Moderators

Gameday! Atlanta United is back up north and hopes to get a Canadian double-dip for MLS points by tackling the Montreal Impact, a little over a half-hour from now (1 PM Eastern, Fox Sports South).

I remember the Impact from their NASL years a few seasons ago, and especially their annoying fans, flying all the way down to the Silverbacks' stadium and screeching "IMPAAAAAAAAAACT!" every time Montreal did something halfway right. Sacre Bleu, y'all! I'd build a wall strictly around those fellows, if I had my druthers.

To keep Montreal (W-L-D 0-2-3) winless, ATLUTD will have to compensate for the absences of Yamil Asad (red card suspension) and Josef Martinez (injury). It's as good a time as any to get underutilized striker Kenwyne Jones going.

~lw3

• Moderators

sigh... Let's go ahead and change the team name to the Red Cards, why don't we? More BS from the refs, but Atlanta ALMOST held off their opponents shorthanded for the second-straight game. Just missed picking up another point within seconds of extra-time! On to Salt Lake!

~lw3

• Moderators

After the Hawks game (and maybe dinner), check out Atlanta United's final match in their 4-game road trip. They're in the Beehive State taking on Real Salt Lake (9:30 PM Eastern, WUPA-TV, The CW channel in ATL). The game will be on The CW network (one of at least three this season, as per Dirty South Soccer) due to a programming conflict with Fox Sports.

RSL is on the bounceback, having won two in a row after firing their coach early and starting out the season at 0-3-2 (W-L-T). 19-year-old phenom US-born Brooks Lennon scored the game-winner last week in Colorado, and the forward will be looking for openings to at least double his rookie goal total.

While it won't change the outcome of last weekend's contest in Montreal, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez's game-changing red-card was correctly rescinded upon review by the Powers That Be committee. LGP will be available today, as will fullback Tyrone Mears, who returns after missing the Montreal game with an ankle injury.

~lw3

• Moderators

Got 'er done! ATLUTD not only hung on to a 2-1 lead in extra time, they got a bonus goal as time was expiring from 18-year-old Brandon Vazquez in his MLS debut. And most importantly, NO red cards!

There's a quick pit stop back home in Bobby Dodd next weekend, versus D.C. United.

~lw3