• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lets say...

Diesel

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

Depends on the offer regardless of the rest of the context.

What if it's an offer for Picks that could be in the lottery?  Let's say that the Celtics offer up the Nets first round pick along with a player like Marcus Smart?

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

What if it's an offer for Picks that could be in the lottery?  Let's say that the Celtics offer up the Nets first round pick along with a player like Marcus Smart?

Well absolutely then because its almost a forgone conclusion he will revert to his common denominator self again at some point. What kind of voodoo does Baze have to get into for all this to happen? 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Well absolutely then because its almost a forgone conclusion he will revert to his common denominator self again at some point. What kind of voodoo does Baze have to get into for all this to happen? 

Well, here's the deal.   That thinking can be applied to any star player we develop?

This is why we will be on this treadmill. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

That thinking can be applied to any star player we develop?

But don't see that it will. If Dennis, Prince and Collins as starters have a great year they will not be traded. They are a core that will fit Schlenk's goals and are young to boot.

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Thomas said:

But don't see that it will. If Dennis, Prince and Collins as starters have a great year they will not be traded. They are a core that will fit Schlenk's goals and are young to boot.

I think that if any of our guys jump out to star status and star messing up our chances at the lottery, Schlenk will move them. 

There will be no Bob Sura's on this team.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Diesel said:

I would do that in a heartbeat unless I truly believed his game had fundamentally changed in a way that is sustainable.  Smart may or may not be attractive depending on how much he wants for his new deal and how much of his broken shot has been fixed but that Nets pick is a potential windfall pick so I think the odds of me not wanting to trade Baze under those circumstances are very low.  Bear in mind I would be looking at our time horizon to when we are looking to have our cornerstones into contention in place for a few years years down the line when we should be managing our roster to the confluence of young developing talent, a nice layout of future picks, the potential to trade said developing talent for developed stars, and the cap space to max 1-2 players all come to fruition.  

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would do that in a heartbeat unless I truly believed his game had fundamentally changed in a way that is sustainable.  Smart may or may not be attractive depending on how much he wants for his new deal and how much of his broken shot has been fixed but that Nets pick is a potential windfall pick so I think the odds of me not wanting to trade Baze under those circumstances are very low.  Bear in mind I would be looking at our time horizon to when we are looking to have our cornerstones into contention in place for a few years years down the line when we should be managing our roster to the confluence of young developing talent, a nice layout of future picks, the potential to trade said developing talent for developed stars, and the cap space to max 1-2 players all come to fruition.  

Just my point.  IF we were to develop (like Baze in this scenario) one of our own..  And let's say that they start off Not great or world beating but creeped their way to being a star... our habit.. our mode of operation would be to immediately trade them for a high pick because surely a high pick is a "generational talent"or as you say a "Cornerstone" player.  When that is not the case.   The #1 pick in this past draft... just may be a bust IMO.  Marvin WIlliams  (#2 overall) as far as expectation were... was a bust.  Shelden (#5) was a Bust.  And it's not just BK... GMs do it all the time, they pick these guys and these guys have potential (Derrick Williams) but they turn out to be Bust.   With te mentality that we're already looking for the next great pick.. we will always be on the treadmill. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Just my point.  IF we were to develop (like Baze in this scenario) one of our own..  And let's say that they start off Not great or world beating but creeped their way to being a star... our habit.. our mode of operation would be to immediately trade them for a high pick because surely a high pick is a "generational talent"or as you say a "Cornerstone" player.  When that is not the case.   The #1 pick in this past draft... just may be a bust IMO.  Marvin WIlliams  (#2 overall) as far as expectation were... was a bust.  Shelden (#5) was a Bust.  And it's not just BK... GMs do it all the time, they pick these guys and these guys have potential (Derrick Williams) but they turn out to be Bust.   With te mentality that we're already looking for the next great pick.. we will always be on the treadmill. 

My biggest motivator is that I would think Baze's performance wasn't real.  I don't believe he has the talent to sustain star play so I didn't want to resign him last year on the deal we did because I thought he was a big regression candidate whose shooting numbers were inflated by an uncharacteristically high shooting %.  If he puts up big numbers for a terrible team next year, I will probably think it is not sustainable performance.  

Now if I thought that was the real player then I'd be much less likely to deal him but I think it is unlikely that Baze would convince me of that.

If you asked me a similar question about Prince or Dennis then I would be much less inclined to deal either of them if they developed into stars because I think they have the base talent to support that kind of development even if it is not likely to happen.

Where do these concrete narratives come from? Who have we developed and traded? Teague? We all knew that was coming due to the development of Dennis who they promptly gave an extension to right after giving him control of the team. So what exactly are we basing this on? Everybody else left because they were being offered unreal contracts. You really mean to tell me you want to be strapped with demarre's contract at this point? We should've let Baze go in the first place bc that contract is horrible at this point. Not seeing the connection here