• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am so ready for this season to be over

Peoriabird

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Considering that ResSler's only goal is to divert profits from the Hawks team to the Gulch project, I'm sure he was all in for the tanking with the increased revenue the Hawks have had over the past year.  

I've already detailed a few of the moves, the most idiotic of which was tanking.

HOW ARE WE INCREASING PROFITS OVER LAST YEAR WITH INCREASED PAYROLL COSTS AND LOWER REVENUES FROM REDUCED TICKET SALES?

(This question has been ignored repeatedly when this year over year profits argument has arisen. Hoping to draw attention to it.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Watchman said:

With all due respect, if that was his plan, he was extremely short sighted.  

I see it as optional. if teams were willing to give us fair deals back instead of a plumlee type contact and ersan did not veto his trades, we could potentially have to 2 extra second rounders for the future. But i wouldn't say we need them(im more interested in first rounders anyway) because we already have 3 first round picks and a very early second round selection. So in a broader view i don't see how  failing to trade marco and ersan hurts us at all.

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

HOW ARE WE INCREASING PROFITS OVER LAST YEAR WITH INCREASED PAYROLL COSTS AND LOWER REVENUES FROM REDUCED TICKET SALES?

(This question has been ignored repeatedly when this year over year profits argument has arisen. Hoping to draw attention to it.)

You are ignored two big things:

1.  The increased revenue the team has had from corporate sponsorships and media deals.  The Hawks revenue was $209 million, up from $169 million in the previous year.

2.  The suppressed player costs in future years.  The hike this year is temporary with all the stupid dead money.  In two years, 3/4ths of the roster will be on rookie deals, thusly controlling costs.  Don't expect any big free agent contracts either.

5 hours ago, davis171 said:

Illyasova is over 30 and the hawks weren't going to be a playoff team regardless of how good a GM you bring in I think you are nit picking.

So?  You still have not explained the point in signing him in the first place.  It made no sense at all if we had no plans on winning.  If I were Ressler, I'd be furious that so much money was being wasted on needless "buyouts."  Maybe try to think ahead there Slinky.

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You are ignored two big things:

1.  The increased revenue the team has had from corporate sponsorships and media deals.  The Hawks revenue was $209 million, up from $169 million in the previous year.

2.  The suppressed player costs in future years.  The hike this year is temporary with all the stupid dead money.  In two years, 3/4ths of the roster will be on rookie deals, thusly controlling costs.  Don't expect any big free agent contracts either.

1 is totally unrelated to tanking or not tanking.

2 hasn't happened yet so if we simply rolled out last season's roster and accepted another 1st round beating we would be in a better financial position for this season than if we took the path we took.  We'll see where roster costs are for future seasons.  I expect we will continue to take on money like Plumlee and Crawford for assets.

3 revenues are clearly down outside of fixed corporate sponsorships and future sponsorships and media deals will also suffer if your theory about tanking = inevitable doom is true.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Watchman said:

So?  You still have not explained the point in signing him in the first place.  It made no sense at all if we had no plans on winning.  If I were Ressler, I'd be furious that so much money was being wasted on needless "buyouts."  Maybe try to think ahead there Slinky.

I think the intent was to put several smart veterans on the team who would help mentor our young players through the All-Star break and would be traded for assets at the deadline.  Still doesn't make sense to me that nobody was willing to give up a 2nd round pick and expiring contract for Belli.  He has upped his TS% to .584% in Philly.  Not sure what playoff team couldn't use one more wing shooting 37.5% from 3pt range.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think the intent was to put several smart veterans on the team who would help mentor our young players through the All-Star break and would be traded for assets at the deadline.  Still doesn't make sense to me that nobody was willing to give up a 2nd round pick and expiring contract for Belli.  He has upped his TS% to .584% in Philly.  Not sure what playoff team couldn't use one more wing shooting 37.5% from 3pt range.

Since we buy out so many players, I can understand why no one wanted to trade, or if they did want to trade, they wanted to give us bad contracts to go along with that 2nd rounder.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:58 PM, Sothron said:

I also want the season to be over. Bud is not playing Collins like he should and that's really the only reason for me to watch. Bazemore is playing up to his contract, Dennis seems to be allergic to defense and Prince has not looked good most of the season.

I said this before but it bears repeating: the decisions to let Horford and Millsap walk as free agents set this franchise back by years. We should have flipped them for picks/young guys and started rebuilding earlier when it became clear the 60 win miracle season was exactly that: a miracle.

Why risk injury to Collins in meaningless games?  He should be playing fewer minutes or no minutes.  

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Since we buy out so many players, I can understand why no one wanted to trade, or if they did want to trade, they wanted to give us bad contracts to go along with that 2nd rounder.

I only get that if the team either (a) doesn't think it can really contend and therefore doesn't want to give up assets to try or (b) if you were certain Belli and Ilya would come sign with you.  A team like OKC or NO, etc. should have been thinking about adding a low maintenance perimeter shooter.  The only team that should have held back on trading something minimal for our guys is Philly.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is what I'm talking about! The team plays well and no one is excited? Had the team won, the place would have been littered with rerun tank post. So depressing!

I love a game where we play well and don't give up any ground in the lottery race.

• Like 1