• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

10 Years In...

benhillboy

• Premium Member
On 3/15/2018 at 2:00 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Most of these "new fans" don't even know who Dion Glover was.

Sorry North, but I'm 43 years old and I've been a fan since 1985.  I know very well the management decisions of this team over the past 30 years.  I've seen all of two rebuilds in ATL.  Billy Knight started one after the 2003-04 season (when I joined the Squawk to lament how little we got back after clearing house) and we are undergoing the 2nd rebuild right now.  

On 3/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, AHF said:

After getting swept in the playoffs badly with an older roster (age weight at 30 years old) in 1999, the Hawks management team did not tear down and rebuild through the draft.  They tried to hold onto their biggest aging star, trading aging semi-stars (failed)  and tried to keep winning by trading away top draft picks for vets (#3 pick traded for Shareef and #8 pick traded for Big Dog -- Pau Gasol and TJ Ford we hardly knew ye).

1999-2003 is what happens when you try to keep winning with a decaying core and you screw up your trades.  It was in no way an intentional tear down to build in the draft.  It would be the equivalent of us keeping Sap this season and trading away our lottery pick this year for a solid but not great vet.

The team freaking guaranteed it would make the playoffs.  That is not tanking.

Talk about twisting the facts.  Sheesh...  At this point, I honestly don't know if KB is trolling or just downright delusional.  I don't know how many years I spent banging my head against the wall because Pete Babcock absolutely refused to rebuild.  He had the same anti-tank mentality as Danny Ferry.  Hell, he's the reason why I wrote of Ferry's competitive restructuring in the first place.

Speaking of Babcock...

The laundry list of stinky mid-late 1sts we drafted in the 90's makes me want to cry...

Image result for donnie boyceImage result for ed gray hawks

Image result for priest lauderdaleImage result for doug edwards hawks

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Sorry North, but I'm 43 years old and I've been a fan since 1985.  I know very well the management decisions of this team over the past 30 years.  I've seen all of two rebuilds in ATL.  Billy Knight started one after the 2003-04 season (when I joined the Squawk to lament how little we got back after clearing house) and we are undergoing the 2nd rebuild right now.  

Come on now Wretch.  I know you're a longtime fan. 

And it's the management decisions that should worry everyone.  Because one thing about Atlanta is that when you're losing, the fans aren't going to come out AT ALL.   This isn't Chicago or New York, in which you can still be top 10 in attendance, and still put on a losing product year after year.

In Atlanta, when you lose, fans don't show up . . . which means you lose money at the gate . . . which means that ownership decisions for improving the team are partially based on the financial stability of the team.  That's why you give draft picks away for cash considerations and refuse to even go over the Salary Cap, let alone dab into the Luxury Tax to put forth a better quality, but higher costing team.

It's going to be very interesting to see who Schlenk gambles on in free agency in these next few years.  He'll have to gamble on someone, because Ressler will start getting "restless".  Anyone who think we can be a non-playoff team for more than 3 seasons, and not see a major shakeup in the front office, or at the coaching position, is fooling themselves.

And the first head to roll will be this one . . .

Schlenk.jpg

Let me take that back.  The coach always gets fired before the GM.

Budhotseat.png

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And it's the management decisions that should worry everyone.  Because one thing about Atlanta is that when you're losing, the fans aren't going to come out AT ALL.   This isn't Chicago or New York, in which you can still be top 10 in attendance, and still put on a losing product year after year.

In Atlanta, when you lose, fans don't show up . . . which means you lose money at the gate . . . which means that ownership decisions for improving the team are partially based on the financial stability of the team.  That's why you give draft picks away for cash considerations and refuse to even go over the Salary Cap, let alone dab into the Luxury Tax to put forth a better quality, but higher costing team.

It's going to be very interesting to see who Schlenk gambles on in free agency in these next few years.  He'll have to gamble on someone, because Ressler will start getting "restless".  Anyone who think we can be a non-playoff team for more than 3 seasons, and not see a major shakeup in the front office, or at the coaching position, is fooling themselves.

Schlenk.jpg

Budhotseat.png

Just want to say Schlenk 100% told Ressler that he planned to blow it up that is why he has the job.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davis171 said:

Just want to say Schlenk 100% told Ressler that he planned to blow it up that is why he has the job.

That statement is false.  At least he was definitely lying at first.  ( video clip in that link as well . . he talks about "taking a step back" at the 6:14 mark )

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2017/06/05/atlanta-hawks-gm-travis-schlenk/

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That statement is false.  At least he was definitely lying at first.  ( video clip in that link as well . . he talks about "taking a step back" at the 6:14 mark )

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2017/06/05/atlanta-hawks-gm-travis-schlenk/

Obviously he isn't going to say it to the media Mark Cuban just got a 600k fine for it. In this same article Schlenk says

Schlenk also talked about his relationship with head coach Mike Budenholzer and his feelings on center Dwight Howard. Schlenk said Howard was a “huge rim protector,” and “those guys are hard to find.” 

Edited by davis171

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Schlenk.jpg

Budhotseat.png

My bad then.  When I saw you quoting KB's... um...egregious reach and I thought you were aiming at me too.

On the subject at hand, you're one of the posters that I usually agree with and on this, I mostly agree.  Admittedly, my opinion is a little slanted because I like Bud. He's shown that he can get a lot done with very little and he's going to win somewhere.  Letting him go before the GM, especially given our circumstances, is a mistake. 

I think Schlenk will be shown the door before Bud and attempts to fire him will be blocked - much like what happened with BK and Woody.  My timeline for all this is slightly more generous than yours though.  As long as we don't get antsy, I think we will be competitive in 3-4 seasons.  If there's no progress after that, and some excitement, Schlenk is gone.

• Like 1