• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Mock Draft 1.0

GrimeyKidd

• Moderators
10 hours ago, thecampster said:

Let me clarify that.  If we draft all 4 slots and Dedmon walks, we are in a bind financially.....we'll have too much money for 1 player. We are better suited to draft 3 so we can split the $25 ish million we'd have on 2 players....paying out about $15 million of that so we are above the team minimum but that's it.

Since there is no true salary minimum (you just pay the money you are under the minimum out to the guys on your roster), there is no problem from a financial situation in the near term.  Having too much cap space also means you can take on dead money for assets ala Crawford.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

You can lose your flexibility with a lot of 1st round draft picks. Non guaranteed free agents we can cut lose, buy out on the cheap, to make room anytime we need to. It is a balance in my mind. For you, you want to draft as many players as possible. Now if there is someone that we think highly of, then hell yes try and trade back in.

But for me it is a balance; at least until we get one, two, or three young players who are worthy of sniffing a max contract.

You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth...One minute you are claiming that draft picks are bad because you don't spend enough and now you are claiming they are less flexible than undrafted free agents?  :blink:   I think this draft is filled with diamonds in the rough.  I think its worth rolling the dice on many of these prospects even late in the 1st round and early second.  Chances are you will find at least 1 maybe 2 starters out of the 3.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with finding 2 or more starters in this draft.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth...One minute you are claiming that draft picks are bad because you don't spend enough and now you are claiming they are less flexible than undrafted free agents?  :blink:   I think this draft is filled with diamonds in the rough.  I think its worth rolling the dice on many of these prospects even late in the 1st round and early second.  Chances are you will find at least 1 maybe 2 starters out of the 3.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with finding 2 or more starters in this draft.

What ever. If you cannot see that it is easier to make roster room with a non guaranteed contract vs a player who was taken 30th with a guaranteed three years, I got nothing for you.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Two problems, 1st you have to hit a NBA minimum salary cap. The more rookie contracts you have the harder that becomes. 

That isn't a problem at all.  You don't have to hit a minimum salary floor.  Instead, if you fail to hit that line then you just have to pay the guys on your roster that amount.  Starting the season below the minimum floor is fine and allows you to later add salary or take on dead salary for picks, etc.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

What ever. If you cannot see that it is easier to make roster room with a non guaranteed contract vs a player who was taken 30th with a guaranteed three years, I got nothing for you.

First round picks have two years of guaranteed contracts and then the team has the choice whether to guarantee future years.  Those players are generally higher potential than any undrafted player but I agree with you that they are harder to cut.  The better a player is and the more money they are guaranteed, the harder they are to cut.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

First round picks have two years of guaranteed contracts and then the team has the choice whether to guarantee future years.  Those players are generally higher potential than any undrafted player but I agree with you that they are harder to cut.  The better a player is and the more money they are guaranteed, the harder they are to cut.

Does anyone else find Buzard's arguments somewhat strange?  He is arguing for fewer 1st round picks in this draft and for more undrafted free agents because they offer more cap flexibility?  He is also arguing that too many draft picks on your team would lead to floor cap problems?  I guess i ain't smart enough to get what he is saying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Here is your draft do over from last season:

https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/02/re-drafted-2017-nba-draft-lonzo-ball-is-actually-a-knick

Some of  biggest upwards move is Jordan Bell 38 to 16 ( 22 spots ), then its is Josh Hart from 30 to 12 ( 18 spots ); Check out John Collins from 19th to 6th. You are right as there are always some players who are taken way to late. But your opinion on the quality of players and how many differ greatly from mine.

Example, I don't consider Dillon Brooks, taken 45th but redrafted to 19th, some sort of great diamond in the rough but he could be a quality starter one day. I do not see any of these mentioned players other than Collins with a all star game in their future.

That is what I am chasing here. I want to move up; not stand pat with four picks. I want quality choices; not choices that have been picked over with a fine tooth comb all ready.

12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Does anyone else find Buzard's arguments somewhat strange?  He is arguing for fewer 1st round picks in this draft and for more undrafted free agents because they offer more cap flexibility?  He is also arguing that too many draft picks on your team would lead to floor cap problems?  I guess i ain't smart enough to get what he is saying.

It is not strange, you just think quantity matters a lot. I want us to shop at Saks, you want us to shop at Walmart. Trade up and only have two picks; not down and end up with five picks.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

That is what I am chasing here. I want to move up; not stand pat with four picks. I want quality choices; not choices that have been picked over with a fine tooth comb all ready.

Oh...You were just speaking in code! You want to move up which is reasonable I guess but what if the you moved up to take is a bust like when Chicago moved up for that player of the year. Then what?  There is safety in numbers

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Oh...You were just speaking in code! You want to move up which is reasonable I guess but what if the you moved up to take is a bust like when Chicago moved up for that player of the year. Then what?  There is safety in numbers

If you do not play the lottery you can never win the lottery. I have been preaching moving up with 19, 30, and 34 since the beginning of our draft talks this year. You have just not don't read the whole thread,

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Do you want 'safe' though?  Id rather the Hawks be agressive in going to get the player they covet, within reason of course.

Based on where the Hawks are in their rebuild I think I'd take 1 significantly better talented player than 2 mid level players. So a trade up combining 19 plus is warranted if there is a player the Hawks like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Do you want 'safe' though?  Id rather the Hawks be agressive in going to get the player they covet, within reason of course.

Based on where the Hawks are in their rebuild I think I'd take 1 significantly better talented player than 2 mid level players. So a trade up combining 19 plus is warranted if there is a player the Hawks like.

I really do not want a team full of late first and second round picks. We would be like a college team playing against NBA teams. Trade up and swing for the fences with two picks. Do that every year and we may have something in three years time. Our GM did a hell of a job with pick 19 last year. I cannot wait to see what happens this year.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Maybe in other drafts but this draft appears to be unique.  There may be legitimate starters late in this 1st round.  And is there a true difference between prospects after say the 10th pick?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I really do not want a team full of late first and second round picks. We would be like a college team playing against NBA teams. Trade up and swing for the fences with two picks. Do that every year and we may have something in three years time. Our GM did a hell of a job with pick 19 last year. I cannot wait to see what happens this year.

But if prospect #30 is sitting there with the same grade as 15, why trade up to 15?

• Like 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

But if prospect #30 is sitting there with the same grade as 15, why trade up to 15?

Because you are guessing and hoping no one else has a decent grade on your player. The longer you wait the less likely your 15th graded player will still be there.

Unless you have Draft ESP, you are seriously risking your 15th graded player lasting through all those picks; and once he is gone, you are still stuck at 30.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Because you are guessing and hoping no one else has a decent grade on your player. The longer you wait the less likely your 15th graded player will still be there.

Unless you have Draft ESP, you are seriously risking your 15th graded player lasting through all those picks; and once he is gone, you are still stuck at 30.

Worked last year