• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Poythress deserving of a full-time slot?

sturt

• Premium Member

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the SF/PF, and it's made me wonder if he should be a full-time employee, and not holding down the other one in Erie as well.

And if so, I'm wondering how we would make that happen... and if Hamilton doesn't get healthy fairly soon, I"m wondering if his release might be what would happen to get that done (???).

• Premium Member

Point well-taken.

But otoh, of our 15 full-timers, only 1 is a full-time point guard and only 5 of them are low post players... this team is way heavy at the wings.

So, since you normally see 6 low-post guys, there's a place there for a Poythress already, ie, unless you're thinking you're going to incorporate Prince as an occasional PF... and you might well be thinking that (?).

But if you think Bembry is effectively our 3rd PG (as I do), what is the value of Hamilton on the depth chart in comparison to Poythress?

10 hours ago, sturt said:

Point well-taken.

But otoh, of our 15 full-timers, only 1 is a full-time point guard and only 5 of them are low post players... this team is way heavy at the wings.

So, since you normally see 6 low-post guys, there's a place there for a Poythress already, ie, unless you're thinking you're going to incorporate Prince as an occasional PF... and you might well be thinking that (?).

But if you think Bembry is effectively our 3rd PG (as I do), what is the value of Hamilton on the depth chart in comparison to Poythress?

PG play outside of Young has been abysmal. Lin has been bad, Bembry has the potential to get better and is bad. And outside of a TBD Trae Young, they're injury prone. So yeah, I think Poythress is good insurance but idk where he falls in terms of minutes/rotation without injuries taking place.

All that being said, I think we end up running Prince a lot of minutes at a point-forward if it came down to a shortage, and then it makes more sense. But he's gotten a lot of run during pre-season and reg, looks good, so who knows what the long term plans are with him. 

On 10/23/2018 at 4:41 PM, mcleitsy said:

I think its hard to make that argument for him getting any real minutes when Dedmon, Collins, and Anderson are all healthy. I haven't looked at any advanced stats, but that being said, he does pass the eye test. 

When you see Anderson play, you'll understand why Poythress is on a two way contract.  Poythress makes up for a lot of his low bbiq with energy/grit.  He has the body, athleticism to be an low NBA starter but what he lacks is a feel for the NBA game. It is much faster than he processes.  

Attached is a highlight video of a good game from Anderson last year. Anderson is not as athletic as Poythress but all you have to watch is the first play in the video. Watch how Anderson is seeing the drive develop before it happens and positions himself to get the easy block. He has a feel for the game. Poythress is reacting to everything, even on offense. He seems surprised when he sees a shot go up and scrambles at the last second to get in position for the rebound. Not Anderson, he's positioning before the shooter ever pulls up.  That's the "feel" for the game. That's BBIQ.  Its why Bembry and Prince get steals in the passing lane.  Poythress has always gotten by on athleticism. He has to go back and learn to be a student of the game. He shows flashes but not consistency.  Here's that Anderson video.....compare him as a player.

• Premium Member

Not seeing the two as competing for the same minutes.

Poythress is a short PF who consequently has routinely been played at SF.

Anderson is a short SF who consequently has routinely been played at SG.

Yes, both play SF, but conventionally speaking, they play with a different set of 5-man squads.

20 hours ago, thecampster said:

When you see Anderson play, you'll understand why Poythress is on a two way contract.  Poythress makes up for a lot of his low bbiq with energy/grit.  He has the body, athleticism to be an low NBA starter but what he lacks is a feel for the NBA game. It is much faster than he processes.  

Attached is a highlight video of a good game from Anderson last year. Anderson is not as athletic as Poythress but all you have to watch is the first play in the video. Watch how Anderson is seeing the drive develop before it happens and positions himself to get the easy block. He has a feel for the game. Poythress is reacting to everything, even on offense. He seems surprised when he sees a shot go up and scrambles at the last second to get in position for the rebound. Not Anderson, he's positioning before the shooter ever pulls up.  That's the "feel" for the game. That's BBIQ.  Its why Bembry and Prince get steals in the passing lane.  Poythress has always gotten by on athleticism. He has to go back and learn to be a student of the game. He shows flashes but not consistency.  Here's that Anderson video.....compare him as a player.

Yeah, I'm pretty high on Anderson. I mean the Hawks have sent him to LA and all sorts of stuff for injury rehab this offseason (A friend of mine chatted him up on a flight from PHI > ATL), so it seems like they have a lot invested in him. I also noticed Anderson was out the end of last season with Philly, not sure the extent of his injuries/how long he is going to be out for.

Size wise, Anderson is a bit more muscular than Prince and seems like a natural back up to him. Needs to get healthy ASAP along with Collins and everyone else. VC can't keep playing heavy minutes, Poythress might be out now, and Bembry isn't really a SF to me at this point as Lin hasn't been a serviceable PG. 

• Premium Member

So they send a newly-healthy Hamilton to Erie instead of somewhat-gimpy Poythress. Don't want to read too much into that, but I'm a little surprised they don't want to give Hamilton a look-see at the big league level.

• Premium Member

This might be good news, as well for Poythress. Beech is 6-9 but is more of an XL SG than a prototypical PF.

Jones, as we all know since some here were even clamoring for the Hawks to acquire him once-upon-a-time, is a PF.

Seems to indicate that the Bay Hawks needed to fill a PF void, and seemingly, that void exists because Schlenk is holding on to Poythress for longer than anticipated.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Good question, but I think it might be moot in the end... I really think he might be converted to a regular contract unless they see something in Hamilton. Attempting to read between the lines, they may have had some competition for Hamilton that they didn't have with Poythress during the off-season. But now that the curtains have come up and the lights are on, Poythress has accounted well for himself, while Hamilton is just now getting that opportunity to show himself worthy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

So they send a newly-healthy Hamilton to Erie instead of somewhat-gimpy Poythress. Don't want to read too much into that, but I'm a little surprised they don't want to give Hamilton a look-see at the big league level.

Poythress is not cleared to play.

Hamilton assigned to get game reps.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

This might be good news, as well for Poythress. Beech is 6-9 but is more of an XL SG than a prototypical PF.

Jones, as we all know since some here were even clamoring for the Hawks to acquire him once-upon-a-time, is a PF.

Seems to indicate that the Bay Hawks needed to fill a PF void, and seemingly, that void exists because Schlenk is holding on to Poythress for longer than anticipated.

No, no, no...this is not good news....it could mean that John Collins may be out even longer.  So not good news on that front.