• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Analyzing Capelas Defense at the rim and perimeter

JTB

So I was doing some digging on Capelas defense and what triggered me to do this was.......well 2K lol. I like to play 2k when I get some time on my hands away from the job/family  and I noticed Capelas speed was a 58! 2k has him even slower than Drummond who has a 60 in speed! I’m thinking DAMN .....I KNOW this guy can jump out on the perimeter and play a switching defense I’ve seen him do this multiple times successfully in HOU especially the year they went to the WCF.

so Im searching online to try to find out if perhaps things changed and I ended up running into this post from reddit and  though this is just from a fan on reddit it was a pretty good write up imo from this person about capelas defensive abilities from WCF season for them compared to last season  for them and I also found the comments very interesting as well as they seem to have come from some Rocket Fans.

......One fan wrote the year the rockets went to the WCF capela was indeed great at switching defensively along with Ariza, Mbah A Moute, etc. but apparently he was told by the rockets to add weight to play at a bigger size  according to this fan and the weight caused him to not be as fast laterally on the perimeter in next season (last season) making him a lot less impactful on the switching defensive scheme.

even looking at clips of capela this year compared to just two seasons ago he’s noticeably bigger and I never really paid close attention to it until we just got him in trade. Moving on I have a lot of thoughts about this but I will save them until the off season....maybe.... but I think what I was expecting from capela defensively overall may have soured just a bit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/a68act/oc_analyzing_clint_capelas_defense_on_switches_in/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

To me....

Capelas Biggest value is being able to move on the perimeter and protect the rim as well as rebound. It’s a lot but he’s shown he’s highly capable of it and has done it.

I’d rather he play at a lighter weight and be able to do the above at a high level like he once could rather than at his current bigger weight where he’s not as impactful on the perimeter but able to still protect the rim and get boards.

offensively his weight doesn’t change or impact how he’d perform as long as he doesn’t gain too much.

I’m not disappointed in the trade ....I’m lowering my expectations a bit. I thought we were getting the capela from two seasons ago that’s why but he isn’t that guy right now at all times but he will be if asked to get back to his normal playing weight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JTB said:

To me....

Capelas Biggest value is being able to move on the perimeter and protect the rim as well as rebound. It’s a lot but he’s shown he’s highly capable of it and has done it.

I’d rather he play at a lighter weight and be able to do the above at a high level like he once could rather than at his current bigger weight where he’s not as impactful on the perimeter but able to still protect the rim and get boards.

offensively his weight doesn’t change or impact how he’d perform as long as he doesn’t gain too much.

I’m not disappointed in the trade ....I’m lowering my expectations a bit. I thought we were getting the capela from two seasons ago that’s why but he isn’t that guy right now at all times but he will be if asked to get back to his normal playing weight.

Rockets organization believes in girth, all their boys are thick.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Rockets organization believes in girth, all their boys are thick.

Yup I’m now just learning that ....never paid it much attention to it but I don’t see capelas current weight being the best for us.
Not that he won’t be impactful once he starts playing but I was kinda hoping for something really awesome defensively between capela, Hunter, Reddish when they share the floor together and figured we’d see some glimpses of it these last two months or so 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, terrell said:

I'll be happy with 90% of this...lol

Deke fingerwag at 1:17 love it lol.. My sister is a flight attendant on Delta and did a fingerwag at Deke when he was on a flight she worked. He loved it lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, terrell said:

I'll be happy with 90% of this...lol

I would be too but a lot of those highlights are from 2 years ago when he was a little lighter. That’s not to say we won’t see some of this I just think it may be helpful to lower expectations just a little.

by no means I’m not saying he’s not capable of very good defense cause he is I just think he need to get back to a lighter weight size

• Thanks 1