• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My observations of the season thus far.

aali34

• Premium Member

Observations.

This season has been underwhelming to say the least. The defense has been garbage and we can't score at all in one quarter each game. I was struggling throughout the year trying to understand how a team that went to the ECF would be in the state we are in now,  but I think I've identified the major issues.

• Vets are underwhelming to say the least. Lou, Delon, and Gorgi are terrible. Gallo can be a detriment at times. The one lineup that has all four playing together has a net rating of -45!!! The guys brought in to be a steady hand for this youthful team are the ones trashing it. Lance outplayed Delon and Gorgi in his first game since 2018. That says all you need to know.
  • Lineups are trash. Lou/Delon backcourt is terrible and can't run the offense or score at all. John/Gallo front-court is terrible and can't protect the rim or rebound. 
  • Capela hasn't been the same, but he isn't as bad as he was early in the season. Okongwu being back should take pressure off him.
  • Roles are not properly assigned. Early in the season we had Dre, Bogi, and Cam struggling to fit in while Kev and JC seemingly understood their roles. Guys were taking alot of long 2s and the offense struggled. The problem now is that the bench goes through Lou/Gallo/Delon, when it should have been Cam/Gallo/Lou.

Nate's rotations have been questionable, but he also doesn't have alot to work with. Alot of people, myself included, were clamoring for Delon to get minutes earlier in the season and we now see why he wasn't. Gorgi looked good early on and has been trash since. Those are 2 big holes at the backup spots that are replacing the captain of the offense, and the captain of the defense. Some people wanted Jalen and Sharife to get minutes and they aren't ready either.

That being said.

• No excuses for losing to depleted, bottom feeding, lottery level teams. Especially at home. 
  • No excuses for the defense being this bad; the point of attack defense always gets exposed and guys aren't as connected as they were last season for some reason.
  • No excuses for ever giving TLC more minutes than Cam. His recent performance should put him higher on the pecking order, atleast over Delon and Lou. 

What I'd like to see.

• Get rid of the John and Gallo front-court lineup. The rim protection and rebounding is atrocious, especially when either Trae and Lou are on the court. Maybe it can make an appearance if Cam and Dre are playing together. OO being back solves this issue.
  • Delon should only worry about bringing the ball up-court. I never want to see him run a pick and roll ever again. Ideally his minutes would be cut, but the roster is depleted right now.
  • Cam needs to headline the second unit. The Hawks haven't figured out who the number one is when Trae is on the bench and that's why we've lost as many games as we have. 

Question Marks.

• What will Dre's role be when he get's back? He is our best perimeter defender, but had issues on offense early on. The question isn't only will he catch his stride, but how? The starters play well with Kev since he's low usage and fills in gaps well similar to JC, not to mention that Kev plays best with Trae. I'd let him get his reps and flow back with the reserves and ease him back into the starting lineup. Having him, Cam and OO should atleast fix the issues with the bench defense.
  • Like 4

Great breakdown Sir. I don't really care about how D. Hunter and our pieces fit together as long as they defend.. I just hate guys like Dieng and Delon taking shots when they shouldn't. 

• Like 1