NBA Expansion pre-conversation

thecampster

2 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

I think only one player per team can be selected in an expansion draft. 
Sometimes teams will get out in front of it and preemptively trade a player to an expansion team with an agreement in place that they wouldn’t take one of their players in the draft, that way they aren’t surprised by who is taken and they can come away with an asset like a draft pick. 

If that's the case I definitely remembered that wrong and @Gray Mulewas right.

I still wouldn't leave Clint out there because he would probably be the only starter available and easy picking but it would definitely give us a better chance at retaining most of our players.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/15/2023 at 9:21 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

10 Keepers
PG: Trae Young, Kobe Bufkin
SG: Dejounte Murray, Bogdan Bogdanovich
SF: DeAndre Hunter, AJ Griffin, Mouhamed Gueye
PF: Jalen Johnson, Saddiq Bey
C - Onyeka Okongwu

I can't argue with this list except that I might leave Bogi exposed to protect one more player on the theory that Bogi is a sizable salary, will be 31 next year, and carries a significant health risk which I think makes it unlikely that an expansion team would want him.  I'm not completely sold on that, though, because we have seen him play well enough where playoff teams would definitely pay to add him to their roster if he is having a good season which could make him a way for an expansion team to add talent.  Would an expansion team risk screwing up their draft position for that though?  I tend to think they wouldn't so it would make sense to leave him exposed.

I guess it depends on how much one believes in the other young players.  Lundry is the only one I think I would really consider doing this for but in general second round picks don't pan out and so that leaves me back where Jay started.  I just  haven't seen enough of Lundry to conclude he is worth protecting at the risk of losing Bogi but if we are doing this later in the year then maybe I adjust that list based on his play and Bogi's.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 7/15/2023 at 7:06 PM, bird_dirt said:

Make it 8, there’s not enough pain picking ten. Many teams don’t even go ten men deep games.  
Heck, make it 6 or 7 and let’s see how real it he in here. 

Here's my Eight:

8 Keepers
PG: Trae Young, 
SG: Dejounte Murray, AJ Griffin
SF: DeAndre Hunter, Mouhamed Gueye
PF: Jalen Johnson, Saddiq Bey
C - Onyeka Okongwu

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:24 PM, AHF said:

I can't argue with this list except that I might leave Bogi exposed to protect one more player on the theory that Bogi is a sizable salary, will be 31 next year, and carries a significant health risk which I think makes it unlikely that an expansion team would want him.  I'm not completely sold on that, though, because we have seen him play well enough where playoff teams would definitely pay to add him to their roster if he is having a good season which could make him a way for an expansion team to add talent.  Would an expansion team risk screwing up their draft position for that though?  I tend to think they wouldn't so it would make sense to leave him exposed.

I guess it depends on how much one believes in the other young players.  Lundry is the only one I think I would really consider doing this for but in general second round picks don't pan out and so that leaves me back where Jay started.  I just  haven't seen enough of Lundry to conclude he is worth protecting at the risk of losing Bogi but if we are doing this later in the year then maybe I adjust that list based on his play and Bogi's.

I actually had an internal discussion about leaving Trae exposed, thinking an expansion team wouldn't want a $40 million salary.  Sober me won out.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I actually had an internal discussion about leaving Trae exposed, thinking an expansion team wouldn't want a $40 million salary.  Sober me won out.

I think an expansion team would LOVE to get a 24 year old, 4x All-Star invitee, 2x All-Star starter who drives engagement with the fan base and sells tickets.  That seems like an ideal situation for them not to really care whether he is precisely worth his contract or not given that they still have to meet minimum payroll and will likely be carrying some dead weight to do it.  I know if I were an expansion owner I would grab him up asap unless I just thought he was an inevitable bar to success.  (And I definitely don't seeing him standing as the Hawk with the highest post-season winning % in team Atlanta history.)

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think an expansion team would LOVE to get a 24 year old, 4x All-Star invitee, 2x All-Star starter who drives engagement with the fan base and sells tickets.  That seems like an ideal situation for them not to really care whether he is precisely worth his contract or not given that they still have to meet minimum payroll and will likely be carrying some dead weight to do it.  I know if I were an expansion owner I would grab him up asap unless I just thought he was an inevitable bar to success.  (And I definitely don't seeing him standing as the Hawk with the highest post-season winning % in team Atlanta history.)

Like I said, sober me won out.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

tenor.gif?itemid=16717529

tenor.gif?itemid=9621090

• Haha 1