• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question of the Day 9-27...

Diesel

Who is the biggest Sports Star (Most Popular) in Atlanta Sports History.  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

I think it's Chipper if you're talking most popular in the region.   If you're talking about most popular star in Atlanta proper then it's without question Mike Vick.  

The greatest of course is Hank Aaron but honestly i think there are a lot of younger folks who have never even heard of him. 😟

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Never heard of Hammering Hank???

No Way!!

I don't believe.

So i was just wearing my Aaron 44 shirt (granted i was in Florida) and a young man walks by me and says 'great name'.  Took me a second so i said 'thanks Aaron' realizing his name was probably Aaron.  Then he says 'see you later Aaron' as if that's my name too and i'm wearing my softball jersey i guess he's thinking.   If you don't recognize Aaron with a giant 44 then we've got problems. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

So i was just wearing my Aaron 44 shirt (granted i was in Florida) and a young man walks by me and says 'great name'.  Took me a second so i said 'thanks Aaron' realizing his name was probably Aaron.  Then he says 'see you later Aaron' as if that's my name too and i'm wearing my softball jersey i guess he's thinking.   If you don't recognize Aaron with a giant 44 then we've got problems. 

Shaking-head GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I think it's Chipper if you're talking most popular in the region.   If you're talking about most popular star in Atlanta proper then it's without question Mike Vick.  

The greatest of course is Hank Aaron but honestly i think there are a lot of younger folks who have never even heard of him. 😟

Who the F likes Mike Vick?    You people down in Georgia have a soft spot for dog murderers and abusers?

I'll pop open a special bottle and toast the day that POS leaves this Earth.

• Premium Member

The answer is Dale Murphy.   LOVED him growing up.  Had the Nike power alley poster framed in my bedroom right next to the Doc Gooden Nike sideways poster.

Dale got absolutely robbed of the MVP award in 1987.  No way Andre Dawson was better than him that year.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, shakes said:

Who the F likes Mike Vick?    You people down in Georgia have a soft spot for dog murderers and abusers?

I'll pop open a special bottle and toast the day that POS leaves this Earth.

You obviously haven't been to a Falcons home game....ever.  More Vick jerseys than anyone else i'd bet.    I'm not saying i'm a big fan, just stating facts.   I will give it up to him that he reformed in a big, big way on animal cruelty and not for show either.  

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

You obviously haven't been to a Falcons home game....ever.  More Vick jerseys than anyone else i'd bet.    I'm not saying i'm a big fan, just stating facts.   I will give it up to him that he reformed in a big, big way on animal cruelty and not for show either.  

Do you think he is the most Falcon today or that he was the most popular Falcon ever at his peak?  He clearly was the most popular at his peak and he clearly still has fans today but I don't get the sense that he is super popular across the entire fan base today.  A lot of Falcons fans wrote him off when he wrote his own ticket out of town.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Do you think he is the most Falcon today or that he was the most popular Falcon ever at his peak?  He clearly was the most popular at his peak and he clearly still has fans today but I don't get the sense that he is super popular across the entire fan base today.  A lot of Falcons fans wrote him off when he wrote his own ticket out of town.

I agree with you.  I'm just saying if you limit it to people in the actual city of Atlanta i'd say he's pretty popular.  Way more than you would think although it could be folks just wearing the jersey and don't really know much about him who knows. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Even though nobody is voting Vick... I would say that his popularity has to be on par with Deion's.  Had the dog stuff never happened and he finished his career with the Falcons, he would have been for the Falcons what AI was for the 76ers...  Iconic. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Even though nobody is voting Vick... I would say that his popularity has to be on par with Deion's.  Had the dog stuff never happened and he finished his career with the Falcons, he would have been for the Falcons what AI was for the 76ers...  Iconic. 

AI is the perfect comparison for Vick.  Just perfect in about every way including on field/court production and challenge presented as far as building around them.  Obviously, AI didn't have the scandal but I totally agree that he is the perfect comparison.  Both were cultural icons at their peak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

AI is the perfect comparison for Vick.  Just perfect in about every way including on field/court production and challenge presented as far as building around them.  Obviously, AI didn't have the scandal but I totally agree that he is the perfect comparison.  Both were cultural icons at their peak.

The difficulties of complementing Iverson in Basketball is less of a problem in football.   Vick had great legs, a big arm but inaccurate.   In football, you give him a line, a RB, One sprinter, and some short pass threats.  He didn't need the spread offense package that is popular today... although even if he had that, he would have benefited from defenses being out of the box. 

I had the chance to watch Vick at Va Tech.  (His brother too).  And this guy had the goods and was not a RGIII.   That's why Vick was able to come back with Philly and be good. 

• Like 1