• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

29 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It continues to amaze me at those who want to use a premium pick, likely our last one for a while, on a guy whose ceiling is a situational backup in the NBA.  I shouldn’t be surprised though.  Things the same fan base that openly pined to replace Al Horford with any 7- footer that could walk and chew gum at the same time. 

If he's as terrible as you think, he's still a lot better than the alternative options like Missi and Ware who won't be ready to help anyone for two to three years. 

Of course, he's way better than you think so he's a way better option than anything else on the board for us

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

If he's as terrible as you think, he's still a lot better than the alternative options like Missi and Ware who won't be ready to help anyone for two to three years. 

Of course, he's way better than you think so he's a way better option than anything else on the board for us

Yeah.  If you want to have to run the slowest paced offense in the NBA to accommodate his lack of speed along with fielding the worst defense in the league, he’s the best option.  

The more he plays now, the higher on the draft board he goes.  Hawks may pick too late to take him.  If so, that just leaves other draft picks to consider.  I would love him as a Hawk.  Imagine Trae still being a Hawk and all the lobs!

Some think that he's big, slow and awkward, unable to get out of his own way.  With all this bad stuff he still manages to draw a lot of fouls and he hits a very good % of these so he's not completely without merit.

Atlanta has two 1st round picks.  Would they consider trading these two to move up?  If so, for who?  Do we have any picks in the 2nd round?  Skyhawks may need restocking.

:smug:

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah.  If you want to have to run the slowest paced offense in the NBA to accommodate his lack of speed along with fielding the worst defense in the league, he’s the best option.  

While I don't agree with you, you say this like we don't have more success at a slower pace when we have more success at a slower pace and valuing our possessions 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Gonzaga has that elbow jumper the entire game.  They are taking advantage of Edey’s lack of speed vs the pick and roll.  

Not gonna lie, laziest game I've seen from him in a while. Quiet 11 point 1st half.

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm seeing rich man's Boban.

If we draft him, I'm changing my name to 'Rich Homie Boban'. 

He gets hacked so much, refs get numb to it. People just hanging off of him on put back attempts.

9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

He gets hacked so much, refs get numb to it. People just hanging off of him on put back attempts.

Actually, I'm torn between Rich Homie Boban and Rich Edey Boban.  Ah, I'll get it sorted by the draft.

And, on the laziness, I'm thinking him literally standing in the lane for full defensive possessions might be frowned upon at the next level.

- Rich Homie B? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Actually, I'm torn between Rich Homie Boban and Rich Edey Boban.  Ah, I'll get it sorted by the draft.

And, on the laziness, I'm thinking him literally standing in the lane for full defensive possessions might be frowned upon at the next level.

- Rich Homie B? 

If you ever watched Bruno in college, his feet were glued to the lane.

Posted (edited)

My boy not having his best day but his gravity is opening a lot of wide open 3s

There is something to be said about his gravity, even in space. His screens tonight have created massive space for Smith

Edited by NBASupes

A lot of Purdue baskets are directly coming off of Edey gravity. 

Ike was playing great defense but he got lazy and started just using the body. 

Edey has a Michael Burner Turner effect where he wores teams down

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, KB21 said:

It continues to amaze me at those who want to use a premium pick, likely our last one for a while, on a guy whose ceiling is a situational backup in the NBA.  I shouldn’t be surprised though.  Things the same fan base that openly pined to replace Al Horford with any 7- footer that could walk and chew gum at the same time. 

You can accuse Supes of some things, but you can’t accuse him of undervaluing Al Horford.

(Also as an aside Horford was the one asking to play PF and some fans wanted him to play next to that 7 footer.)

• Moderators
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He's been appearing in the lottery on DX and Ringer

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/39788382/2024-nba-mock-draft-how-top-prospects-fared-ncaa-tournament

If he's gone, that would be a massive disaster for us. Let's not pass on an impact player because we think we can get him later. That's how we f***ed up, Giannis. 

If we are the ceiling at 10 for Edey, I am perfectly fine with that. 

With Clingan gone, you don't have an alternative. It's Edey or bust at this point. 

We didn’t screw up Giannis by trading back or passing on him with our first pick.  He wasn’t on the board when we drafted.  We screwed up by letting our coach (who had seen all the scouting reports targeting Giannis for us) join the Bucks when they were picking right in front of us.

You have to assess whether the guy is going to on the board or not.  I agree with the idea that if you have someone you want you don’t get too cute about it.  But you also would rather have Jimmy Butler where he was drafted than in the lottery.

Just saying it is a hard balance to strike with Edey but that I’d love it if we could get him with our second pick.  If we take him with our first pick and he doesn’t become a star then you have to wonder about “what if” when looking back in light of those late first and early second round projections.  (Right now we have to wonder about the lottery projections.  He is all over the map.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, AHF said:

We didn’t screw up Giannis by trading back or passing on him with our first pick.  He wasn’t on the board when we drafted.  We screwed up by letting our coach (who had seen all the scouting reports targeting Giannis for us) join the Bucks when they were picking right in front of us.

You have to assess whether the guy is going to on the board or not.  I agree with the idea that if you have someone you want you don’t get too cute about it.  But you also would rather have Jimmy Butler where he was drafted than in the lottery.

Just saying it is a hard balance to strike with Edey but that I’d love it if we could get him with our second pick.  If we take him with our first pick and he doesn’t become a star then you have to wonder about “what if” when looking back in light of those late first and early second round projections.  (Right now we have to wonder about the lottery projections.  He is all over the map.)

Is he really though. The only ones that matter are where NBA teams in particular GMs think he is. DX is generally the guise where NBA teams think he is. Keith Smith says he's in the 10-24 range 

And yes, I would rather Jimmy Butler in the lottery if I am confident Jimmy is worth it. We already saw this with PHX with Cameron Johnson at 11. Everyone thought it was stupid but it was actually accurate. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/s/2whW6BwM9k

Edited by NBASupes