• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Sorry Spud but that's BS. You would have said the same about Brook Lopez, AL Horford, OO, JC, KAT, etc...

None of them showed you anything in college and all have proven - to one degree or another - to be capable 3pt threats in the NBA.

His ft% is the biggest reason to have some optimism there.  A lot of bigs aren’t allowed to shoot jumpers in college because the coach wants them shooting inside.  We’ve got video of him draining practice jumpers but that doesn’t mean nearly as much to me as free throws shot in a game.  Defensive issues are a bigger concern for me than the potential to extend his range.

• Like 2

Despite what some believe, the longer his team remains in the chase for the championship, the higher he is expected to go in the draft.  No, he will not last into the second round!

:ahf:

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Despite what some believe, the longer his team remains in the chase for the championship, the higher he is expected to go in the draft.  No, he will not last into the second round!

:ahf:

Definitely true.  NCAA tournament success usually pumps some helium into a guy's draft stock.  I think the idea of him making it to the second round is just completely off the table at this point.  

Frankly, the most important voice on this for me is Quin's.  Does he see a fit there or not?  I view us as pot committed to Snyder and given that we have very little proven success in the FO I would expect him to have a louder voice than most coaches.  (With his history, my take is that Grant isn't proven in a good way.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

His ft% is the biggest reason to have some optimism there.  A lot of bigs aren’t allowed to shoot jumpers in college because the coach wants them shooting inside.  We’ve got video of him draining practice jumpers but that doesn’t mean nearly as much to me as free throws shot in a game.  Defensive issues are a bigger concern for me than the potential to extend his range.

The FT% was my only point here.  I haven't seen clips of him shooting 3s or anything.  But I have read that Painter won't let him shoot 3s in games, which makes some sense.  I just don't get the argument that if a 5 hasn't shot 3s in college then it must mean he CAN'T shoot 3s in the NBA.  We just have plenty of examples that say otherwise.  

And his FT stroke looks good to me.  Seems natural with a nice arc on it which makes me think it can translate to longer shots (although I'm no shooting coach).  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, AHF said:

Definitely true.  NCAA tournament success usually pumps some helium into a guy's draft stock.  I think the idea of him making it to the second round is just completely off the table at this point.  

Frankly, the most important voice on this for me is Quin's.  Does he see a fit there or not?  I view us as pot committed to Snyder and given that we have very little proven success in the FO I would expect him to have a louder voice than most coaches.  (With his history, my take is that Grant isn't proven in a good way.)

He absolutely would in my eyes. This is a guy that's had much worse offensive players who provide rebounding and size like Hassan, Rudy, and Udoka.

• Thanks 2

All three are/were much more athletic, much better defensively, and more explosive around the rim offensively.  I cannot see Quin supporting taking a player who will limit what he does from a scheme standpoint.  He would have to throw out a lot of his scheme to accommodate Edey’s lack of skill and athleticism.  

Top 5 fits for the Hawks:

Ron Holland/Ignite - Pure wing with great defense and elite offensive potential.  

Cody Williams/Colorado - Pure wing who is underdeveloped but has elite potential.  

Stephon Castle/Connecticut - Big guard who is an elite perimeter defender and connectivity player.  Potential all star if shot plays up.  

Yves Missi/Baylor - Switchable big with elite athleticism and rim running offensively.  

Kel’el Ware/Indiana - Floor spacing big who is switchable on defense.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, KB21 said:

All three are/were much more athletic, much better defensively, and more explosive around the rim offensively.  I cannot see Quin supporting taking a player who will limit what he does from a scheme standpoint.  He would have to throw out a lot of his scheme to accommodate Edey’s lack of skill and athleticism.  

To you, everyone is more athletic than Edey. To me, Edey easily the most athletic especially that verison of Whiteside who was washed. 

The smart decision is Edey. The secondary decision is Clingan. 

Make sure you at least get one of them at the least. Most importantly. Get Edey for Trae. 

Edited by NBASupes

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Top 5 fits for the Hawks:

Ron Holland/Ignite - Pure wing with great defense and elite offensive potential.  

Cody Williams/Colorado - Pure wing who is underdeveloped but has elite potential.  

Stephon Castle/Connecticut - Big guard who is an elite perimeter defender and connectivity player.  Potential all star if shot plays up.  

Yves Missi/Baylor - Switchable big with elite athleticism and rim running offensively.  

Kel’el Ware/Indiana - Floor spacing big who is switchable on defense.  

Lmao, elite offensive potential? Great defense? What! Holland high key sucks right now. 

Cody is raw af and there is no promise that he will reach the ceiling some have projected for him.

Castle is the truth. He should end up a top 5 pick 

Missi is ass right now. He's years away from playing outside of the Gleague

Ware is like another verison of Cam Reddish. They have talent but effort, motor, strength, feel is all a major concern. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in the early 2nd round. The idea of Ware is much better than the actual product. 

These are not good fits. 

The best fits are obvious

1. Edey

Massive gap

2. Clingan

Massive gap

3. Risacher 

gap

4. Knecht 

5. Kolek

6. Shannon Jr. 

Edited by NBASupes

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

His games are full on YouTube,  if you watch, you would see the problems especially the feel for the game, BBIQ, turnover prone, fouls too much, can't shoot. He's an inefficient chucker

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Note: Alex Sarr is the best overall fit for Atlanta, but he wasn’t included because we have no shot of getting him.  

I can't think of a worse fit than Sarr. 

Generally, we have players we are indifferent like you loved Culver, I saw him as an obvious bust, Bagley, JJJ, etc. 

But this class in general, we are completely off on. Clingan might be the only player we see similarly 

Edited by NBASupes

You have a warped view of what is an actual fit.  You think a big slow unathletic limited big is a fit while a super athletic switchable big who can play on the perimeter isn’t a fit.  That’s just off the wall crazy.  

Biggest thing we need are switchable defenders that can space the floor to give Trae space to work with offensively and insulate him defensively.   If you can’t defend multiple positions, then you aren’t a fit for the Hawks.  

Sarr can defend 3 through 5.  Holland can defend 2 through 3 and maybe some 4.  Castle can defend 1 through 3.  Williams can defend 2-4.  Missi can defend 4-5.  Ware can defend 4-5.  

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You have a warped view of what is an actual fit.  You think a big slow unathletic limited big is a fit while a super athletic switchable big who can play on the perimeter isn’t a fit.  That’s just off the wall crazy.  

Biggest thing we need are switchable defenders that can space the floor to give Trae space to work with offensively and insulate him defensively.   If you can’t defend multiple positions, then you aren’t a fit for the Hawks.  

Sarr can defend 3 through 5.  Holland can defend 2 through 3 and maybe some 4.  Castle can defend 1 through 3.  Williams can defend 2-4.  Missi can defend 4-5.  Ware can defend 4-5.  

Warped? Interesting coming from you.

We get it, you think Edey is a poor man's Boban, how dare someone want to draft Edey is your take. 

Guess what? It's just your take. 

No.

Sarr can't defend 4s or 5s yet. The potential is there with defending 4s. 

In college maybe for Castle. 

I watched so many CU games, Williams is struggling at defending and scoring at this stage. He may have occasional flashes but he's simply not ready yet. 

Missi isn't ready to defend 5s yet. Should be by the end of his rookie deal. 

Ware is not any good at defending any positions yet. He's King flash. 

Bro so badly want this to be accurate but it's inaccurate. 

How mad are you gonna be on a 1-10 scale when we do the obvious thing and take Edey? 

Edited by NBASupes

Posted (edited)

I got a serious question for you KB. Why everytime hype get bigger and bigger for Edey, you always start bringing up other players. Isn't that what the draft thread is for?

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

How much do G-League numbers mean?  When I see that and apparently that is #1 overall pick worthy and then I see this:

image.png

And I know Lundy can't even get token minutes in the rotation consistently, I see a lot of similarity in those numbers except that Lundy's shooting numbers are much better (for example, Holland shoots around 25% from 3).  I know Holland is younger but I have trouble taking G-League numbers seriously.

18 minutes ago, AHF said:

How much do G-League numbers mean?  When I see that and apparently that is #1 overall pick worthy and then I see this:

image.png

And I know Lundy can't even get token minutes in the rotation consistently, I see a lot of similarity in those numbers except that Lundy's shooting numbers are much better (for example, Holland shoots around 25% from 3).  I know Holland is younger but I have trouble taking G-League numbers seriously.

Lundy is also a 24 year old playing in that league while Holland is 18.  What it shows for Holland is a gradient of improvement.  He can really defend.  He is great in transition.  He can create his own shot.  Above average handles.  Good passing vision.  There is also nothing wrong mechanically with his jumper.  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Lundy is also a 24 year old playing in that league while Holland is 18.  What it shows for Holland is a gradient of improvement.  He can really defend.  He is great in transition.  He can create his own shot.  Above average handles.  Good passing vision.  There is also nothing wrong mechanically with his jumper.  

His skills improvement is much more interesting to me than numbers put up on a team that might as well be tanking in the G-League for all the actual competing they do (i.e., almost none).  I expect #1 overall picks to dominate journeyman G-League players whether they are 20 or 24 or 30.  Maybe that speaks to just how weak the #1 pick is this year.

On 3/31/2024 at 4:23 PM, KB21 said:

Edey loses the ball. Clean strip.  Refs blow the whistle.  Foul on Tennessee.  Edey throws elbows and hooks arms.  No call.  

His entire tournament has been like that.  The refs and media are ACTIVELY trying to make this guy be great. 😀  I mean he is hooking players like you said, jumping over folks backs for rebounds and setting moving screens and the whistle is silent.  You barely touch HIM and its free throws.   All this for a bench player in the NBA who might give you a few minutes.

Edited by Hawkmoor