• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Edey projection is zero because he has not shown in yet. Same has Clingan. The fact that you are using OPEN GYM shooting to justify it is hilarious. You can say sarr shit but hes a willing shooter who has actually displayed the skill at that level. These other two guys are not shooting at all yet.

Number 1 picks don't go to teams with 10th best odds usually

When you say this, I can't take it seriously. You are saying his skill set, his impact, his data, is zero. That's bulllshit. So in that case, no prospect data matters. That's horse shit. 

Oh, you are talking about 3s. Even if it's zero, Sarr is a negative 3 point shooter so??

He literally won back to back NPOY

Tremendous metrics 

https://tankathon.com/players/zach-edey

His testing results for Centers is off the charts. As I have said, if we had RAS for Basketball, he would be in the 99% percentile. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?CF=POSITION*E*C&dir=D&sort=HEIGHT_WO_SHOES

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-strength-agility?SeasonYear=2024-25

I really don't see any way he busts. Even if he just ends up being a 6th man at best. 

I've compared him to Jalen Brunson and IT0. Obviously not the same type of player but I can see his career path similar to those two and since he's a center, his impact rates will be much higher than either player. 

Edited by NBASupes

Just now, NBASupes said:

When you say this, I can't take it seriously. You are saying his skill set, his impact, his data, is zero. That's bulllshit. So in that case, no prospect data matters. That's horse shit. 

Tremendous metrics 

His testing results for Centers is off the charts. As I have said, if we had RAS for Basketball, he would be in the 99% percentile. 

I really don't see any way he busts. Even if he just ends up being a 6th man at best. 

I've compared him to Jalen Brunson and IT0. Obviously not the same type of player but I can see his career path similar to those two and since he's a center, his impact rates will be much higher than either player. 

Tremendous metrics 

What does this have to do with his shooting??? Nobody is talking about Edey the player or the prospect which you are defending. He has not shown he can be a three point shooter at all outside of some ONE DAY of shooting at the the combine (mind you he didn't even finish in the top 20 of the drill). Saying sarr is shit when he has displayed the skill vs another player who has quite literally never displayed it at a high level is just a mere projection by you and a very out of range projection at that. If open drills are what you care about then certainly sarr should receive a bump for doing well in the drill right?

Will Edey shoot some threes at the next level? Probably. Could he even be serviceable at it at one day on extremely low volume? Possibly too. but OPEN GYM VIDEOS??? are we fr? There was so much you could have used as an indicator edey could shoot but open gym? and mind you all these indicators suggest sarr should be pretty good. Yall don't argue in good faith at all when you like a player lmao. Open gym videos as justification man. Is this how draft discourse on this forum will be for the next month?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What does this have to do with his shooting??? Nobody is talking about Edey the player or the prospect which you are defending. He has not shown he can be a three point shooter at all outside of some ONE DAY of shooting at the the combine (mind you he didn't even finish in the top 20 of the drill). Saying sarr is shit when he has displayed the skill vs another player who has quite literally never displayed it at a high level is just a mere projection by you and a very out of range projection at that. If open drills are what you care about then certainly sarr should receive a bump for doing well in the drill right?

Will Edey shoot some threes at the next level? Probably. Could he even be serviceable at it at one day on extremely low volume? Possibly too. but OPEN GYM VIDEOS??? are we fr? There was so much you could have used as an indicator edey could shoot but open gym? and mind you all these indicators suggest sarr should be pretty good. Yall don't argue in good faith at all when you like a player lmao. Open gym videos as justification man. Is this how draft discourse on this forum will be for the next month?

Oh we have to deal with open gym big videos every year. So, yes lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sarr is a far better shooter than Edey.  His form is better.  He doesn't bring the ball way behind his head like Edey does.  The operation is quicker, but there is nothing about Edey's game that is quick.  Sarr can catch and shoot.  He can shoot off the dribble.  He can take the ball from the perimeter to the basket.  Edey can do none of these.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mikey said:

I misunderstood you. Even so, Sarr 3pt shooting is a negative right now. Is that really a coup to claim?

Edey out shot Sarr at most shooting drills. Sarr FT and left college 3 is the only areas Sarr beat Edey and even then, Edey was 90% to Sarr 100%. I don't see your point. They played in the same gym and Edey came out ahead and he wasn't allowed to do it in college. I don't know what else to really say

He wasn't asked to do it in college. We had a player like this who was a stud early on for us. Remember this guy

4 minutes ago, Afro said:

Oh we have to deal with open gym big videos every year. So, yes lol. 

Most of them barely shoot the ball even in those videos or its primarily from one spot like OO summer videos which did translate. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I misunderstood you. Even so, Sarr 3pt shooting is a negative right now. Is that really a coup to claim?

Edey out shot Sarr at most shooting drills. Sarr FT and left college 3 is the only areas Sarr beat Edey and even then, Edey was 90% to Sarr 100%. I don't see your point. They played in the same gym and Edey came out ahead and he wasn't allowed to do it in college. I don't know what else to really say

He wasn't asked to do it in college. We had a player like this who was a stud early on for us. Remember this guy

Literally, everything in this video, we saw JC do in the NBA

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Gym videos don't move me but I also don't rule out Edey developing into a useful jump shooter.  His >70% ft% is a good start.  Our coaches saw that potential in JC despite having basically nothing but low post play in college.  Brook Lopez wasn't a 3pt threat until years into his career but it defines him offensively today.

So I don't rule it out and wouldn't have expected to see him showing off his jumper in college.  It would have made no sense for Purdue to have him play anywhere other than near the basket - the team revolved basically around him scoring near the basket and opening the floor for the rest of the team to shoot jumpers.  Having him trying to catch and shoot 3's or something would not have worked because the rest of the roster wasn't capable of pressuring the rim.  

If you are seriously considering drafting Edey, you should absolutely bring him in for a workout and pressure test his jump shooting.  There is no question that he is much more valuable as an NBA big if he has a jumper than if he does not.

He is no longer in the discussion (if he was at 10) for the Hawks so I don't expect we will work him out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Edey didn't come out ahead thoguh lol. Sarr was 15/25 and Edey was 14/25. So if you want to use open gym numbers someone won...

As far as indicators go Sarr beats him at literally everything. Especially off the dribble jumpers which I don't even think Edey has a sample size off lmao

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Gym videos don't move me but I also don't rule out Edey developing into a useful jump shooter.  His >70% ft% is a good start.  Our coaches saw that potential in JC despite having basically nothing but low post play in college.  Brook Lopez wasn't a 3pt threat until years into his career but it defines him offensively today.

So I don't rule it out and wouldn't have expected to see him showing off his jumper in college.  It would have made no sense for Purdue to have him play anywhere other than near the basket - the team revolved basically around him scoring near the basket and opening the floor for the rest of the team to shoot jumpers.  Having him trying to catch and shoot 3's or something would not have worked because the rest of the roster wasn't capable of pressuring the rim.  

If you are seriously considering drafting Edey, you should absolutely bring him in for a workout and pressure test his jump shooting.  There is no question that he is much more valuable as an NBA big if he has a jumper than if he does not.

He is no longer in the discussion (if he was at 10) for the Hawks so I don't expect we will work him out.

Im not saying he cant be good and won't shooting. Edey has some good indicators that he will be able to shoot some such as his touch and his ability at the line. But when you say open gym videos then I am out on that reasoning lol.

Edey was never in play. The creation of that thread on this polarizing player got it in some peoples head he was in play. Hes not that guy and they'd ever consider and fact that he's still discussed after we got 1 is hilarious. You want to talk clingan go for it but that archetype of player is never selected 1 either and can be found in literally every draft

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Edey didn't come out ahead thoguh lol. Sarr was 15/25 and Edey was 14/25. So if you want to use open gym numbers someone won...

As far as indicators go Sarr beats him at literally everything. Especially off the dribble jumpers which I don't even think Edey has a sample size off lmao

Can Sarr reach prime Tyson Chandler level defense?  Tyson Chandler with more respectable offensive tools is what I envision for Sarr.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Im not saying he cant be good and won't shooting. Edey has some good indicators that he will be able to shoot some such as his touch and his ability at the line. But when you say open gym videos then I am out on that reasoning lol.

Edey was never in play. The creation of that thread on this polarizing player got it in some peoples head he was in play. Hes not that guy and they'd ever consider and fact that he's still discussed after we got 1 is hilarious. You want to talk clingan go for it but that archetype of player is never selected 1 either and can be found in literally every draft

Bingo!

The archetype of player that Sarr is DOES go #1 overall.  You have Wemby, Chet, Evan Mobley, JJJ...etc.  While all weren't #1 picks, they are all top 4 picks who are of this archetype.  

The last time the Clingan archetype went #1 overall was DeAndre Ayton in 2018, and we see how that has turned out.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Wouldn't this match their projection rates for NBA 3s which is 33% for Sarr and 32% for Edey

Edey also crushed the movement shooting drills, hitting 18-of-30 pull-ups. I don't recall what Sarr did but this is significant especially compared to hid FT shooting which is telling and Sarr wasn't in the top 6 so my belief is he was under 50%. That's not good especially for someone with no low post game at all. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Can Sarr reach prime Tyson Chandler level defense?  Tyson Chandler with more respectable offensive tools is what I envision for Sarr.  

From a physical profile that is exactly his comp. Every database suggests that but he will need to fill out his frame. Something he seems reluctant to do at the moment. Though he is also an athletic freak unlike some of his comps. Defense will be his impact and the hope is he reaches those levels. I think he can and should given how he can play in any scheme and is best with how Quin wants to play now

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Sarr and Chandler play nothing alike and early Chandler wasn't effective at all on either end in his first 3 seasons.

Sarr is a switchable 4 defensively. Can defend all positions like a big wing. Elite lateral quickness.

Chandler early on was exclusively a rim protector who was good in drop coverage but struggled switching early in his career. Didn't help he was on a shit team but at least they were developing. His strength hurt him as a paint protector but he played like a big. Sarr likes to play like a 3. Ya'll talking about a guy Ya'll never watched in full games. I seen 12 Sarr games in full. He was disappointing outside of the Gleague games. The thing is, that Ignite team was historically bad. I don't know how to take those games.

Edited by NBASupes

Just now, NBASupes said:

Sarr and Chandler play nothing alike and early Chandler wasn't effective at all on either end in his first 3 seasons.

Hence “prime” … He was on a historically bad Chicago team lacking proper leadership.  I imagine Sarr’s maturity level is far superior to where Chandler was entering the league.  If Sarr can channel some JJJ/Bosh/Chet tools on the offensive side…

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I made the same comment earlier this week about not relying on open gym shooting videos.  For anyone.  They are fun to see but that is the extent of their value for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Wouldn't this match their projection rates for NBA 3s which is 33% for Sarr and 32% for Edey

Edey also crushed the movement shooting drills, hitting 18-of-30 pull-ups. I don't recall what Sarr did but this is significant especially compared to hid FT shooting which is telling and Sarr wasn't in the top 6 so my belief is he was under 50%. That's not good especially for someone with no low post game at all. 

I don't really have any Edey takes, but lol at calling his movement shooting drills "movement". He jogged to each spot. Stopped, set, and then shot. 

Edited by Afro
  • Haha 1