Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

This is probably one of my favorite videos. This is exactly what I see as well and why I even posted the Jokic video. If you really understand basketball, this will relate. I keep saying, Edey will be fine defensively just because he has BBIQ, awareness, and feel for the game at a very high level defensively and it's elite offensively. When you always make the right play, like Delon Wright, it will always show in the impact metrics. It may not appear obvious watching live but if you know the game, you will understand this. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40009212/player-year-zach-edey-officially-enters-nba-draft

"I felt like it was time," Edey said. "I showed that I'm a physical presence on offense this season," Edey said. "I also showed I can play defense. I can guard in space, even defend guards."

In spite of all those accolades, Edey said there's more to his game that he will be able to show once in the NBA.

"What wins in college and the NBA are totally different," Edey said. "There are a lot of things I can do that people haven't seen yet. I was focusing on impacting winning at Purdue and simplifying my game. Every year I've taken steps forward and there's no reason I can't keep getting better."

"I needed to be on the floor at all times," Edey said. "I had to be careful about fouling. I'm a better passer than people give me credit for. I was always looking to score when I got the ball down low, but I can make plays out of different situations more than I was able to show this year."

Edey is relatively new to the game, starting to play basketball seriously as a high school sophomore in fall 2017 after mostly focusing on hockey and baseball. Edey said that's one of the reasons he still has a lot more room to grow in the coming years.

"I'm still learning the game," Edey said. "There were moments in practice at Purdue that I learned something basic, little stuff that maybe others were taught in sixth or seventh grade. I'm going to keep expanding my game and do things people haven't seen from me.

"Shooting is going to be a big thing in my workouts during the pre-draft process. Every day I'm getting the reps and my routine right to show off that part of my game."

Edey entered the 2023 NBA draft but elected to return to Purdue for his senior season. That move appeared to pay off in a major way as he's now a projected top-20 pick who can be selective with how he positions himself in the pre-draft process.

"The number doesn't matter," Edey said. "I'm focused on the teams that believe in me. I want to find a coaching staff that believes in me and what I can do."

52 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is probably one of my favorite videos. This is exactly what I see as well and why I even posted the Jokic video. If you really understand basketball, this will relate. I keep saying, Edey will be fine defensively just because he has BBIQ, awareness, and feel for the game at a very high level defensively and it's elite offensively. When you always make the right play, like Delon Wright, it will always show in the impact metrics. It may not appear obvious watching live but if you know the game, you will understand this. 

The guy in the video is 100% correct here, and the guy who is calling himself Coach Von is completely off.  

• Premium Member

Where will Zach Edey be drafted?

Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY: Phoenix Suns – No. 20 overall

Zillgitt writes: "Edey was outstanding in the tournament, leading Purdue to the title game where he had 37 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks in the loss to UConn. Had 40 points and 16 rebounds against Tennessee in an Elite Eight game. Edey is a bear to defend in the low post... But in the NBA, is he mobile enough, especially defensively, to keep up with style and pace?"

Jonathan Wasserman, Bleacher Report: Phoenix Suns – No. 23 overall

Wasserman writes: "[Edey]'s changed a number of minds regarding his pro outlook and potential to carve out an NBA role, even without adding any modern skills. His combination of 7'4" height and one-handed touch creates a tremendous advantage in the post. And improved mobility has led to increased, quicker defensive court coverage around the key."

Kyle Boone, CBS Sports: Washington Wizards – No. 26 overall (via Los Angeles Clippers)

Boone writes: "In a head-to-head matchup with projected top-10 pick Donovan Clingan in the national championship game, Edey scored 37 points and showed why even the most capable defenders may have trouble slowing him in the NBA."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2024/04/23/2024-nba-mock-draft-zach-edey-top-picks/73428801007/

• Like 2